Sponsored

Changing 25w D8S HID lights to 35w D3S bulb + ballast

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Fastback Mustang GT
As it's a mod that interest a lot of person, I opened this new thread to have all this information in one place :thumbsup:

Message from Cannigia :

Not really easy, they work different, ballast has different control pins, some cable modification inside lamp close to ballast is needed, also bulb doesn't fit, bulb or lens needs to be modified, this is easy part. About ballast, this is how i compared 2013 US model vs 2015 EU. Maybe 2015 don't needs modification.
I have 2013 ballast on desk, so i can check how power is supplied to one when i'll finish my lamp build.
So as papinist stated, lamps needs to be removed, not possible to make it on car, maybe if someone is acrobat:)
I've now another question, as the US Mustang work with the D3S bulb & ballast, and it seems to be the same lights in the EU and US version (only the DRL are missing), it could be possible that it's plug & play for Bulbs & ballasts :shrug:

The different control pins are for the bulbs, no ? The power cable for the Ballast is the same between the two models ?
Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
sub'd

Not my priority but I'm interested in this.

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
So you want to change the headlight light?
What's wrong with standard?

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
As it's a mod that interest a lot of person, I opened this new thread to have all this information in one place :thumbsup:

The different control pins are for the bulbs, no ? The power cable for the Ballast is the same between the two models ?
Having had both US and EU spec lights, it's not that difficult. You can take the power going to the oem ballast and run it to a new D3S. The only real challenge is you'll have to modify the base of the D3S bulb to fit in the D8S projector. It's just a small notch that has to be cut.

After that, you'll still be at a slight disadvantage as the EU spec projectors have a fresnel lens whereas the US spec are nearly clear.

Sponsored

OP
OP
John577

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After that, you'll still be at a slight disadvantage as the EU spec projectors have a fresnel lens whereas the US spec are nearly clear.
Oh well, thanks for the explanation. :thumbsup:

I didn't know that we also have a difference in the lens between US and EU Model.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Any photos available?

I don't have any, but it you check the Ford Focus forums they have some examples since the EU version has the same issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

deep south

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB auto convertible & Citroen C3
So you want to change the headlight light?
What's wrong with standard?

For export cars - both LHD & RHD - it looks like Ford are using lower power D8S 25W bulbs that give 2,000 lumens - the US uses D3S bulbs with 35W that produce around 3,000 lumens.

Since the EU requires headlamp washers and automatic levelling for lights above a certain lumens level - 2,000 - (which was originally set to include all the HID/Xenon bulbs available when the technology first came out) they have now introduced lower power bulbs at that level so they can advertise them as "HID" lights - but without the expense of the headlight washers and so on... Am I being cynical...?

I pick up my car in a couple of weeks and will find out myself just how effective they are.

OP
OP
John577

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The light power is fairly good (you'll see) but in compare with other modern HID lights and especially the US Mustang, they aren't !
Am I picky ... ?
No, just want to have my baby like I want :D

For that point I NEED to swap the whole HID like the D3S model.
I know they exists a lot more modification that are possible, like Evox-R lenses, 50w HID lights, ...
But I don't want the brightest or the more powerful light that is available on the market, just want a GOOD light for the car.

So, I put an order yesterday for :
- 35w D3S Osram XENAELECTRON Ballasts
- 35w D3S Osram CBI XENARC Bulb

I'll give you my feedback when they are here.
Will done it at the same time I swap my Headlights with the one Caniggia is currently modifying for me :headbang:
So I don't need to unmount the bumper twice.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
So, I put an order yesterday for :
- 35w D3S Osram XENAELECTRON Ballasts
- 35w D3S Osram CBI XENARC Bulb
The main challenge you will have is the Osram's have a metal base that you will either have to cut a notch into, or modify the oem housing to remove the tab that would go in the notch. For simplicity, I'd just Dremel the tab on the housing.

OP
OP
John577

John577

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The main challenge you will have is the Osram's have a metal base that you will either have to cut a notch into, or modify the oem housing to remove the tab that would go in the notch. For simplicity, I'd just Dremel the tab on the housing.
I will have a lot of time to adjust them as the lights are out of the car. So I will see how I managed to have them properly in

Btw, thanks for the info about the notch to cut :thumbsup:
Sponsored