Sponsored

CF Wheel Claim...wish me luck!

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Hey guys,

I had a brief chat with Paul about this on a different thread but on a surprise milled section of road I had a rock get caught between the Brembo and inner wheel on a drive home from work a couple of weeks ago. This caused a few inch long and about 1/8th inch deep gash that went thru the protective coating on the front right CF rim of my R.

I know the tire/wheel warranty topic has come up before with a lot of differing perspectives on what would happen with the R wheels in particular so I thought I would post about how my experience goes with my local dealer.

I called them up Friday and by Tuesday they called me back saying they had a replacement wheel. I was shocked and for good reason. Turns out they had ordered a regular GT350 wheel. A service tech I trust a good deal from our initial interactions over the last couple of months set them straight :)

I went up to the dealership yesterday so they could take an initial look and my man could further inspect the rotors, calipers, etc and ensure no other parts were damaged. That went smoothly so I'm dropping it off today so they have flexibility to go thru a photoshoot as part of the claims process with the warranty folks. No signs of trouble yet...will keep you all posted.
IMG_2336.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Good luck. I declined the extra wheel warranty. I'm using 6gr wheels for the street to avoid this.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Good luck indeed! I was told there was no extended warranty or wheel warranty period when I bought the car... thinking I may have to look into getting some if it is available!

Hopefully they will replace it, but chances are they will not, as most wheel warranties do not account for nor include replacement for aesthetic damages. Most only cover damages that affect the structural integrity of the wheel, but maybe the one you have says differently do you know??

Be interesting to see what they say regardless and wish you luck.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Good luck indeed! I was told there was no extended warranty or wheel warranty period when I bought the car... thinking I may have to look into getting some if it is available!

Hopefully they will replace it, but chances are they will not, as most wheel warranties do not account for nor include replacement for aesthetic damages. Most only cover damages that affect the structural integrity of the wheel, but maybe the one you have says differently do you know??

That was the way it was described to me and that is the exact reason I declined the warranty.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I would be surprised if this was covered under a warranty (unless it includes roadhazard) but the argument could be made the structural integrity is compromised since the damage went through the heat coating that protects from excessive brake heat on the front wheels.

But - again - I would be really surprised if they warrantied this given a rock caused the damage.

An auto policy should cover, though - I would think.

Sponsored

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I purchased an extended wheel and tire warranty that I was offered (can they be different if purchased through a dealer when paying for the car??) as even though I am on the regular wheels they are black and the tires aren't exactly cheap.

From personal experience I have been in to my dealer once and had them touch up a wheel that had very minor cosmetic damage, they did an amazing job and gave me no problems whatsoever. I had obviously read the wordings carefully (which I do for a living) and it did allow for cosmetic damage so I jumped on the extra cost of the warranty. I figured that just one tire being replaced or touching up a wheel a couple of times during the term and it would essentially pay for itself.

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Given the depth of the gash going thru the thermal barrrier coating I think there is a pretty good case that this wheel is ruined with respect to track use: https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...-light-carbon-fiber-wheels-use-1717009943/amp

As for the warranty itself, it is a Ford warranty but also bit of a paradox because it explicitly calls out road hazards in this nature:

"Ford Protect TireCARE Is a Smart Investment to Protect Your Tires and Wheels from the Everyday Hazards of the Road
-Covers approved costs associated with the repair or replacement of a tire, or the replacement of a wheel, due to a road hazard, such as:
-Glass or metal in the road
-Potholes, debris, nails, etc.
-Provides towing for covered repairs to the nearest Ford or Lincoln dealership or tire repair facility (up to $100 reimbursement)

...yada yada yada...

"-No limit on approved claim benefits
-No limit on occurrences"

All sounds great...however there is also a very random caveat off to the side on its own with no detailed verbiage that says "Excludes cosmetic damage". I interpret this to be simple scratches and such and would agree in that context.

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I alluded to it in above post but I think on THIS wheel the depth of the gash means it is more than just an aesthetic/cosmetic impact on the wheel. Aside from the fact the very definition of a road hazard caused the damage. Will see what they say. Thinking of reaching out to Carbon Revolution for their thoughts on potential impact.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Given the depth of the gash going thru the thermal barrrier coating I think there is a pretty good case that this wheel is ruined with respect to track use: https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...-light-carbon-fiber-wheels-use-1717009943/amp

As for the warranty itself, it is a Ford warranty but also bit of a paradox because it explicitly calls out road hazards in this nature:

"Ford Protect TireCARE Is a Smart Investment to Protect Your Tires and Wheels from the Everyday Hazards of the Road
-Covers approved costs associated with the repair or replacement of a tire, or the replacement of a wheel, due to a road hazard, such as:
-Glass or metal in the road
-Potholes, debris, nails, etc.
-Provides towing for covered repairs to the nearest Ford or Lincoln dealership or tire repair facility (up to $100 reimbursement)

...yada yada yada...

"-No limit on approved claim benefits
-No limit on occurrences"

All sounds great...however there is also a very random caveat off to the side on its own with no detailed verbiage that says "Excludes cosmetic damage". I interpret this to be simple scratches and such and would agree in that context.
:D :lol:
ha got eem.jpg

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hey guys,

I had a brief chat with Paul about this on a different thread but on a surprise milled section of road I had a rock get caught between the Brembo and inner wheel on a drive home from work a couple of weeks ago. This caused a few inch long and about 1/8th inch deep gash that went thru the protective coating on the front right CF rim of my R.

I know the tire/wheel warranty topic has come up before with a lot of differing perspectives on what would happen with the R wheels in particular so I thought I would post about how my experience goes with my local dealer.

I called them up Friday and by Tuesday they called me back saying they had a replacement wheel. I was shocked and for good reason. Turns out they had ordered a regular GT350 wheel. A service tech I trust a good deal from our initial interactions over the last couple of months set them straight :)

I went up to the dealership yesterday so they could take an initial look and my man could further inspect the rotors, calipers, etc and ensure no other parts were damaged. That went smoothly so I'm dropping it off today so they have flexibility to go thru a photoshoot as part of the claims process with the warranty folks. No signs of trouble yet...will keep you all posted.
I had the exact same thing happen on my right front CF wheel. My gash went all the way around the inner barrel of the wheel. This pushed me to get aftermarket wheels ASAP, as I heard rocks get caught a couple times before but were popped out before causing damage. I do not have a tire/wheel warranty as I was under the impression the CF wheels were not coverable.

Sponsored

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
Worked for Ford for 5 years, selling TireCare. I have 100% confidence in it to take care of the Carbon wheels. I opted for a 7yr coverage. Prices are as followed (hope mods are ok with me posting as I do not sell this myself and am not a vendor):
1 yr $310
2 yr $387
3 yr $472
4 yr $535
5 yr $612
6 yr $700
7 yr $755

** These prices are discounted but still have some profit. They are beyond reasonable for R owners IMO. You can see your local dealer and get a plan (if they will do these prices) or I can have a friend do the contract here in CA for anyone.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Worked for Ford for 5 years, selling TireCare. I have 100% confidence in it to take care of the Carbon wheels. I opted for a 7yr coverage. Prices are as followed (hope mods are ok with me posting as I do not sell this myself and am not a vendor):
1 yr $310
2 yr $387
3 yr $472
4 yr $535
5 yr $612
6 yr $700
7 yr $755

** These prices are discounted but still have some profit. They are beyond reasonable for R owners IMO. You can see your local dealer and get a plan (if they will do these prices) or I can have a friend do the contract here in CA for anyone.
can you say how much the costs are for the extended bumper to bumper warranties?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
1 yr $310
2 yr $387
3 yr $472
4 yr $535
5 yr $612
6 yr $700
7 yr $755

Cheaper than rocking a new set of wheels for the street. I'm in. This is just called 'Ford TireCare'? Do I have to purchase at the dealer that sold the car?

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you say how much the costs are for the extended bumper to bumper warranties?
These were the prices I got...taken directly from my sales paperwork:

"Coming from a Nissan Maxima to my first performance machine like this I actually 'warrantied up' like nobody's business for entire length of the loan:

-6yr / 75k mile Premium Care Plan - cost $3,043 (there is a minor pro-rated co-pay for yrs 4,5,6 iirc)...pretty much covers every system on the car

-6yr / 75k mile / 10 visit Premium Maintenance Plan - cost $2,760 (every 6mos or 7500mi)...covers replacement+labor of everything (disposables) not covered by the Premium Care Plan, right down to wiper blades :D

-6yr TireCare Extended Service Plan - cost $1,850 road hazard protection - any damage from nails, glass, debris, potholes and they replace tire/wheels. No limit on approved claim benefits and no limit on occurrences. I checked with SM at local dealer and CF wheels are def included as they are an OEM part.

So all in all yes they saw me coming and yes I got some clean laundry from getting taken to the cleaners BUT I feel the peace of mind I have had reading many of these threads about various issues is well worth it. I have 6yrs to take notes from all you guys, learn as much as I can and develop a 'proper' mod list :ford:"

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
-6yr / 75k mile / 10 visit Premium Maintenance Plan - cost $2,760 (every 6mos or 7500mi)...covers replacement+labor of everything (disposables) not covered by the Premium Care Plan, right down to wiper blades :D
"covers replacement of everything (disposables) ...right down to the wiper blades"

Are you saying this covers brake rotors, calipers (if needed), pads? Tires??!
Sponsored