Sponsored

Center stack controls are a bloody mess of poor design

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
The Merc has the most tedious electronic interface. My 991s has the worst buttons - can't even see the passenger side environmental controls around the shifter and the "key" is on the left of the steering column. Sync 3 is a pleasure and you can do most things through it. I would not have put the hazards on a toggle and they could be better marked. And I wish the radio on/off was a button in the center of the volume knob. But generally, an A-/A for me.
Sponsored

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I wish the radio on/off was a button in the center of the volume knob. But generally, an A-/A for me.
Hmm.. this is the case in my base model, I guess it's different for the premiums.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
There's only 4 switches. You think you'd be able to memorize each switch after a while?:shrug:

Sponsored

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
:rant::faint:Its always about consumer preference.I have a Premium & do not dislike the lay out. Someone on the thread spoke of GM Camaros available. That's true as well.......:ford:

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Because you buy a front engine, rear wheel drive, V8, with 435HP for practical purposes, and better center stack controls.......:doh:

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am happy with the layout.

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
There's only 4 switches. You think you'd be able to memorize each switch after a while?:shrug:
I could. But in the dark and in an emergency, or if someone else is driving who is unfamiliar with layout, the traditional triangular shape in a more prominent location would be wise - JMO. My comments were nits - overall I like the design better than a car costing 150% more and designed by the famous German engineering.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I actually think the layout is pretty good. I have the base interior, and like that once you set the HVAC airflow settings you really only need to change the fan speed and temp.

The radio settings could be more logically arranged, in terms of organizing the source, phone controls, settings, etc, but how often do you need to access them.

I use the steering wheel controls to change the radio presets, and voice control to play music from my USB stick and to place phone calls.

The only deficiencies I noticed right away was the UI issue on the fan control direction being opposite the direction of the LEDs and the lack of any circular lighting on the various knobs.

-T

Sponsored

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
The center stack controls in the Mustang are a bloody mess of major poor ergonomics and stupid design.

Controls are small, immediate adjacent to each other, impossible to see in the dark, cannot be operated with taking eyes off the road, and are not tactile differentiated. In short, the design is a huge FAILURE.
fine for me
volume on the steering wheel, all the stuff done from sync
climate auto, hardly have to touch any buttons

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
The layout doesn't bother me a whole lot. H*ll, I use the AC sometimes and that's about it. I barely ever use the radio either because I like listening to the exhaust more.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
After two weeks of driving mine, I had the controls down in memory. OTOH, the wife's Honda Pilot has been in the family almost 3 years now. Everytime I get in her car it is like a new learning experience operating the radio or climate controls.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
I don't understand how they are a mess, maybe you should've bought a Premium model instead of a base model. I find the layout to be perfect. Some people have to find something to complain about. Didn't you test drive yours before purchasing and realize you didn't like the setup?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Probably because you have a base model...
My wife's exploder has its version of the premium package. The touch screen is way too busy and does way too many things. It looks cool and all, but I find it easier if the primary things I need to mess with while driving (air, volume, audio) are as simple as possible. You get that in the base interface, but in the premium everything some of it is like going into the catacombs to get to. I find it keeps my eyes off the road too much, and although having the dash and wheel controls helps, I still have to look down half the time.

I'm glad we had the Exploder first so I wasn't tempted to go Premium instead of opting for the base with performance pack.
Sponsored