CD Player

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I have my playlist downloaded in my phone. I won’t notice a network glitch in my Spotify. The quality will go down a little bit, but that’s it.:wink:
Hello; I will guess a playlist is somehow the tunes you are renting from some website source. That you can download these tunes into devices to play. I do not know enough about the details of such deals to ask good questions.
I can own a CD for the rest of my life. I can take them in to a store to sell or trade. They are a physical thing so could be lost or stolen, you may have an advantage there if you can download them anytime you want.
I do not know if this counts as a glitch but do recognize the name Spotify. It was among the web services taken away for the former president a few weeks ago. I did not know it is a music service until this thread. I had thought it was something like twitter and facebook since they were also named as services taken away. So I guess Spotify can drop you for political reasons? I also will guess the company might cease to exist and just go away as businesses do from time to time.

My main points have been about how since around 1970 personal music in a vehicle has been a steady improvement in music quality (fidelity) and in function over time right up to the CD.
To use the newer subscription music services I will have to buy an expensive smart phone which I do not need nor want and will have reduced fidelity. This seems a step backward in the process to me.
Except for the reduction in fidelity quality I might be interested in a service I can download to the computer I already have. Much would depend on the cost. Right now I can go to McKays in Knoxville TN and buy some used CD's for less than a dollar. I am also lucky in that there is very little of the new music which appeals to me so most of the music I wish to own can be found on a CD.
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Hello; I get you think it is funny to wish to continue to use a level of tech which works quite well , even tho old. I suppose you will be removing the glass from windows soon because it is older tech than an 8 track player.
Here is the deal again since you seem to have forgotten already. I was around 19 years old when I saw the first 8 track player. They worked and it was hard to fault them since there was nothing else to compare them to. Only other music source in a car was an AM radio.
After a time the cassette tape came about. At first not really better sound quality than an 8 track. The 8 track had wider tape and ran more inches per second when playing. Trouble was the 8 track did not hold up well. After a little while they messed up.
The cassettes eventually got much better. Better quality tapes came along which could produce decent bass. If you had a good cassette recorder you could transfer your vinyl and have fairly good music in a vehicle. Of course the cassette had some problems. One was the hiss on the tape. I could get that mostly tamed. I had a very good dual deck recorder and it still is stored in a back room. A buddy of mine borrowed it a few years ago.

When CD's came along the first ones did skip some as you drove. They did have some sound quality issues in some ranges. Before long those issues were fixed and the CD became the best thing in a vehicle for personal choice music. FM radio is about as good with a clear station but they clip off some of the frequencies and play what they like.

I gave away my vinyl and good turntable to a friend and started using CD's in my home. Things got better when I discovered I can rip a CD to a computer program and then make copies onto blank CD's. I could pick individual songs from CD's and have my favorites.

Now, without my permission, the world has moved on to web based music. While there may be some good fidelity sources available, it seems most use MP3 which is a step down from a CD in quality. So you make fun of my CD preference while embracing a format which is of lesser quality and also that you do not get to physically own.

One last thing. While I did not find your athletes foot joke very funny, it did set an association about you in my mind. Now when I see your avatar I think of jock itch. That is alright since it makes me chuckle.
tenor.gif

Not making fun of your CD preference, I am with you, as I have hundreds of them and the sound is much better than streamed off my iphone. The only drawback is the space they take up. I've even bought all the CDs I could get of my favorite BAND-MAID!

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Hello; I will guess a playlist is somehow the tunes you are renting from some website source. That you can download these tunes into devices to play. I do not know enough about the details of such deals to ask good questions.
I can own a CD for the rest of my life. I can take them in to a store to sell or trade. They are a physical thing so could be lost or stolen, you may have an advantage there if you can download them anytime you want.
I do not know if this counts as a glitch but do recognize the name Spotify. It was among the web services taken away for the former president a few weeks ago. I did not know it is a music service until this thread. I had thought it was something like twitter and facebook since they were also named as services taken away. So I guess Spotify can drop you for political reasons? I also will guess the company might cease to exist and just go away as businesses do from time to time.

My main points have been about how since around 1970 personal music in a vehicle has been a steady improvement in music quality (fidelity) and in function over time right up to the CD.
To use the newer subscription music services I will have to buy an expensive smart phone which I do not need nor want and will have reduced fidelity. This seems a step backward in the process to me.
Except for the reduction in fidelity quality I might be interested in a service I can download to the computer I already have. Much would depend on the cost. Right now I can go to McKays in Knoxville TN and buy some used CD's for less than a dollar. I am also lucky in that there is very little of the new music which appeals to me so most of the music I wish to own can be found on a CD.

Jesus Christ...who sell or trades CDs these days? Is like going to GameStop to trade a video game.

You can also buy an iPod touch, rip all your CDs and still will have them, no need for a “expensive” smartphone with Data plan, which btw you can get sometimes free from cellphone carries. Technology moves and if you can tell between CD quality and iPod/Spotify/iTunes/AmazonMusic/Pandora quality (if set up properly for highest quality), then you might have supper audition.

I also hope you get a custom sound system for the car, because the B&O might not be good enough for you. I can tell you now, that my Shaker Pro with the subwoofer is just good enough and for what I’ve read is not much different from the B&O.

btw...if you sell/trade your CD, I hope you get rid of the copy you ripped, because you don’t own it anymore and that’s piracy.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Jesus Christ...who sell or trades CDs these days? Is like going to GameStop to trade a video game.

You can also buy an iPod touch, rip all your CDs and still will have them, no need for a “expensive” smartphone with Data plan, which btw you can get sometimes free from cellphone carries. Technology moves and if you can tell between CD quality and iPod/Spotify/iTunes/AmazonMusic/Pandora quality (if set up properly for highest quality), then you might have supper audition.

I also hope you get a custom sound system for the car, because the B&O might not be good enough for you. I can tell you now, that my Shaker Pro with the subwoofer is just good enough and for what I’ve read is not much different from the B&O.

btw...if you sell/trade your CD, I hope you get rid of the copy you ripped, because you don’t own it anymore and that’s piracy.
Hello; Interesting opening comment. To be clear the store I go to for CD's is selling hundreds a day. Every time I go the place is crowded and many are buying CD's. They have two big stores in TN. By the way they sell and buy video games also. There must be a lot in the world you know little about.

Yes the phones can be low cost or free but the monthly charge is where they make the money from customers. No, at my age I have lost some hearing range so likely cannot appreciate the difference.

So far I have not sold nor traded in the CD's. I do not rip them to have a copy and then sell the original. I buy them to keep. Interesting you thought of that right away.

I guess you are another sore winner. The "modern" music formats have push out the CD.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
Hello; Interesting opening comment. To be clear the store I go to for CD's is selling hundreds a day. Every time I go the place is crowded and many are buying CD's. They have two big stores in TN. By the way they sell and buy video games also. There must be a lot in the world you know little about.

Yes the phones can be low cost or free but the monthly charge is where they make the money from customers. No, at my age I have lost some hearing range so likely cannot appreciate the difference.

So far I have not sold nor traded in the CD's. I do not rip them to have a copy and then sell the original. I buy them to keep. Interesting you thought of that right away.

I guess you are another sore winner. The "modern" music formats have push out the CD.
No man, if you read my previous post, I said I also have a collection of CDs and now I’m collecting Vynils. I have no issues with people owning a CD. But let’s be real, not every CD is entirely good, it’s and inconvenience to change them while driving and to keep them in the car.

Im not a sore winner, I was giving alternatives for a car without CDs. An alternative to carry CD cases or holders and being safer driving. You can even tell Siri to play your music without moving your hands from the steering wheel. Btw, I think I’m from the wrong era because I don’t like popular or “modern” music. I like real band, with real instruments and good vocals.

FORD is being cheap taking away the CD player and the light in the glove box. Same deal with no LED interior, reverse and side lights. We either adapt or will be angry for little details in the car.

I decided to adapt to the technology and keep going forward.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Two of my cars have CD players that read MP3 files. (The older one also reads WMA) Hundreds of songs on one disk, and no fumbling required. The CD player can switch folders with the click of a button.

Now that I have a new car with no CD player I thought "OK, I can work with this. It could be pretty cool once I sort it out." Adapting even gave me an excuse to buy a thumb drive in the shape of a 1970 Mustang.
autodrive-1970-Ford-Mustang USB 1.jpg

autodrive-1970-Ford-Mustang USB 3.jpg

I've put about 3 GB of music on it so far. 3GB vs. a CD's 700 MB sounds pretty cool at first.

But the stereo's default way to read the drive seems to be that it picks songs at random.
Picking a folder for the mood I'm in takes many touches of the touchscreen.
I really hope I can find a setting to change the default behavior. Is there a thread for that? Maybe someone can help.

If I can't fix it, I may want to trade up to a car with CD player.

Last edited:

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I am glad to have the CD player. No computer for me so I ain't putting them on some thumb drive weird whatcamacallit. :rockon:

B17drvr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th LE #48
I don’t have equipment to put my 900 + cd’s on to a drive. So I’m glad they kept the CD player. My truck has no CD player though and that kind of sucks.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I really hope I can find a setting to change the default behavior. Is there a thread for that? Maybe someone can help.
Head over to the Infotainment and Electronics (Nav, Audio, Video, Bluetooth) sub forum. Google thumb drive folders. Lot's of helpful threads there.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I don’t have equipment to put my 900 + cd’s on to a drive. So I’m glad they kept the CD player. My truck has no CD player though and that kind of sucks.
Hello; If you have a computer this can be done. I use a windows computer. It has a built in DVD/CD drive. I currently use Windows 10 with Windows media player but even back to windows 95 there was a program to rip CD's into the computer.
Even if the computer does not have a built-in DVD you can use an external DVD drive which has a USB plugin. The built in DVD failed on a laptop and I was able to use an external.

If you do decide to try to rip your CD's into the computer you will have to decide which format to use. For many years I used WMA format to rip as it is better fidelity. Turns out some cars will not play WMA and will only play MP3. MP3 is good enough I guess and you can burn more tunes onto a memory stick.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Hello; If you have a computer this can be done. I use a windows computer. It has a built in DVD/CD drive. I currently use Windows 10 with Windows media player but even back to windows 95 there was a program to rip CD's into the computer.
Even if the computer does not have a built-in DVD you can use an external DVD drive which has a USB plugin. The built in DVD failed on a laptop and I was able to use an external.

If you do decide to try to rip your CD's into the computer you will have to decide which format to use. For many years I used WMA format to rip as it is better fidelity. Turns out some cars will not play WMA and will only play MP3. MP3 is good enough I guess and you can burn more tunes onto a memory stick.
It seems to me most computers no longer come with a drive to read or write CDs. I can write to a CD-R but a lot of my friends and family don't have such a device.

When I copy music to a CD or thumb drive, sometimes I think to check settings and try to get the highest possible bitrate for each file. When ripping or burning, the computer often defaults to a low bitrate, which I assume is bad for sound quality. 😕

The good news is; If I'm in my Mustang, with rumbly V8 noise in the background, the quality of the sound files is probably less important. 🙂

Jeffsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2008
Agree it’s strange to see the CD player. I plug in my phone and play everything from there. Agree sound is better on CD though but not convenient. Most importantly I find the audio system the least important option in this car compared to my other cars. The sound from the flat plane crank is my fav airier part of the gt350.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Dang never thought a CD player thread would get this hot.
Sponsored