Sponsored

Catch can venting, etc procharger

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
What is everyone's opinion on the right way to do this?

I currently am vented to atmosphere with the passenger side check valve removed.

I want to put a catch can on the passengers side with a check valve to the stock intake port and then run a upr clean side Seperator with hose to the intake tube before the blower. Basically like factory.

Someone is telling me I will have idling problems and that I should run both valve cover's to a single catch can and then to intake tube. I don't think this setup provides enough scavenging at idle and part throttle? Thoughts?
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
To be honest i have the procharger catch can and dont like the design either.I dont know why UPR didnt make it like the paxton and vortec and previous procharged cans,wheir they used intake manifold vaccum and a check valve.U want full manifold vaccum at idle and this design does not do that idle,plus Upr uses,using intake manifold vaccum as its big selling point yet does not use it on the procharger setup.I talked to Upr about why they did the procharger setup different then the rest of the blowers and they said it was the way procharger set up the pcv system,well its their can and they can make it work how they want!!!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Personally I ran the UPR can and got fed up with it. I would advise you to go breathers or a breather-style catch can.

Don't have to worry about emptying it constantly, don't have to worry about it sucking anything through the intake anymore since it's NOT connected at all. And it becomes an open system so the crankcase pressure can escape with ease out of the breathers, no worrying about vacuum, hose routing, etc.

Personally I went with a non-recirculated breather style catch can, because I was worried about the breathers saturating with oil and dripping if I didn't clean them enough. But breathers are a solid choice and much cheaper.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
^^ this, breathers ftw...

NightParade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I just removed my UPR Procharger catch can for the reasons above as well and going to plumb my own breather tank and have both valve covers just go to it.

Sponsored

r1lovin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt
Breathers here as well. Don't understand why people run catch cans with boost

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
So those that run catch can with breathers just bring both valve covers to a catch can, then just simply vent it to atmosphere? Do you catch anything? Just making sure I understand.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’m running the UPR can with my Procharger. Not smart about this stuff to know it it hurts or helps to keep it installed. Been driving with it for 5k miles without the can the now 5k miles with the can, can’t tell a difference either way except I’ve emptied it two times and there been about 1/4-1/3 cup of mostly water with some oil. Seems to be basically the same routing as the Procharger pre can, whereas both valve cover lines just go the can now before going to the intake tube. Meaning I can’t see how there is a difference in how the manifold vents either with the procherger install directions vs installing the can as directed? Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
So those that run catch can with breathers just bring both valve covers to a catch can, then just simply vent it to atmosphere? Do you catch anything? Just making sure I understand.
I'm going to make a thread on my catch can actually, because I've gotten a few questions about it and it'll give people another option from another company.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103125

Both valve covers go to a large can which has breathers on it, yeah. There's some kind of baffling going on in the can as well that I assume keeps most of the oil away from the filters. The best part is that the can is self contained and it doesn't connect to the intake at all.

I catch alot of oil, more than I did with the UPR I'd say. The UPR would be mostly water from condensation building up in the sealed can. The vented can still builds up some condensation, but it's much less.

I’m running the UPR can with my Procharger. Not smart about this stuff to know it it hurts or helps to keep it installed. Been driving with it for 5k miles without the can the now 5k miles with the can, can’t tell a difference either way except I’ve emptied it two times and there been about 1/4-1/3 cup of mostly water with some oil. Seems to be basically the same routing as the Procharger pre can, whereas both valve cover lines just go the can now before going to the intake tube. Meaning I can’t see how there is a difference in how the manifold vents either with the procherger install directions vs installing the can as directed? Hope that makes sense.
The UPR can routes the same way as the stock procharger, both setups are restrictive on the PCV system. Usually when in vacuum, vacuum from the manifold is applied to the crankcase to pull out the pressure and vapor. On the Procharger setup vacuum from the intake pipe before the blower is applied instead, which is far less and is therefor more restrictive not pulling as much out of the crankcase. Not that it's a huge deal, but breathers definitely let the crankcase pressure out better.

Water is the biggest problem I had with the UPR. The can was so small that after a couple days of driving it would be completely full from condensation. At one point I had it overflowing into the intake and had it getting blown out of my BOV and sucked into my motor. That was the last straw for me lol I was tired of the PCV being tied into the intake.

Last edited:

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Makes sense....running breathers here as well and here is why.
When NA I ran the little cheap JLT catch can. When I did my Procharger install I had to take TB off...then I saw all the oil in the intake manifold. Took the intake off and cleaned it...at the same time I went with the UPR catch can and put everything back together. Ran it that way for about 5k miles...emptying the can about every 1k ...watery nasty mess. After 5k I changed intakes, when I took off intake it was coated with oil inside and nasty. Even though catch can was catching there was some getting by. At this point I switched out to breathers. After 4 k I pulled TB to just see...inside intake was at clean and dry as the day I put it on. I clean the breathers every 2-3K. Never had oil drip on coil covers.
Sponsored