Sponsored

Carb Legal Procharger stage 2

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
When I was researching what FI system I was going to put on my car, I primarily looked for ones that are CARB approved, since I live in CA. It came down to Whipple, Edelbrock and the Roush/Ford Performance DI systems. For centri, there is the Procharger, but no true turbo systems. Coming from a turbo background, I was hoping to find a quality, bolt on, load canned tune and be done with it turbo system. I finally decided on the Whipple, because of all of the positive comments regarding their canned tune.
I am leaning toward the whipple also, but I am afraid the cats will melt and take out my motor with it later
Sponsored

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Taking out cats isn't a manufacturer specific thing. It all depends on how much HP you're making. Every power adder has the potential to take out the stock cats as the power increases. Tuning also plays an important part. If you are serious about keeping your motor alive you should go with a more free flowing exhaust.

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2013 4Runner, 2015 BMW 328i
I had a Whipple on my 06 GT for six years and never had a proble with the cats I used the whipple tune and that’s was the only engine mod that was done to it. I did have a x-pipe an mufflers.

Sponsored

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Can you tune a carb kit at all ?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Can you tune a carb kit at all ?
nope. what makes it carb legal, is its already done. exactly as its installed, is why its carb eo.

can't dick with the tune, or its no longer carb compliant, it was tested in its configuration, the same config that its sold and installed as.

Andrew19gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am somewhat new to the forum but I have a 2019 with a Paxton novi 2200 that is carb legal. Advertised at 692hp on 91 to the crank and roughly mid to high 500’s to the wheels, but have don’t now exactly since I haven’t had it dynoed. Assuming the 15-17 with a procharger would be around the same.

17Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I am somewhat new to the forum but I have a 2019 with a Paxton novi 2200 that is carb legal. Advertised at 692hp on 91 to the crank and roughly mid to high 500’s to the wheels, but have don’t now exactly since I haven’t had it dynoed. Assuming the 15-17 with a procharger would be around the same.
That’ what I am looking for. I don’t think I need much more than that.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Hello, does anyone have the carb legal procharger stage 2 installed? If so, do they know how much horsepower they are getting out of it? And how is it different from the “non carb legal” stage 2 package?
We have had quite a few guys run the Stage 2 complete kits and make decent power for being a Carb legal setup. The Stage 2 Carb legal kit is a 6 rib setup and uses the factory air box. The Stage 2 without the factory air box also comes with the dedicated 8-rib drive. You'll still see great gains with the Carb legal setup!

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
It's no longer a carb legal kit if it has custom tuning and different pulleys then it came with
It's no longer a carb legal kit if it has custom tuning and different pulleys then it came with
Ok captain obvious. The point seams to be beyond you.
1. I have had the car pass smog
2. If you have the e.o number they can verify that the e.o number matches the car. They have no way of checking the tune at the smog shop
3. You can change pulleys just like you can on a NA car. There’s no regulations on what pulley you can install. If it passes the test your good.
4. You technically are not allowed to modify the e.o tune. (This is the only thing you got right) but you can’t modify your stock tune ether. They can tell if a stock tune has been changed but they can not on a e.o tune

Now what I was trying to share was that just because it is a carb legal kit doesn’t mean it can’t make power.

Dom1232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
For what it’s worth I recently passed smog on E85 with a FBO setup including ported 18 manifold and JLT intake. No 02 sensors were bypassed and it had a conservative tune. They’re looking for CEL bypassing or 02 sensors being bypassed from what the guy who did mine said 🤷‍♂️

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
QUOTE="Dom1232, post: 3196896, member: 45178"]
For what it’s worth I recently passed smog on E85 with a FBO setup including ported 18 manifold and JLT intake. No 02 sensors were bypassed and it had a conservative tune. They’re looking for CEL bypassing or 02 sensors being bypassed from what the guy who did mine said 🤷‍♂️
[/QUOTE]
Some states are a lot more relaxed as long as your car Passes emissions test they don’t really care. now California on the other hand