Sponsored

Car has a rough idle after driving it hard sometimes causally!

Enzo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang Gt
Hello so I just got this mustang maybe 5 months now, I took it too ford and they had the car for almost 1 month and I tried everything to comprehend the situation but I can never figure it out, so this is what I know so far. The car at 35k miles got a new block and clutch due to cylinder one cracking. Ford under warranty replace the whole thing before I got the car. Now at 52k miles the car runs smooth but at times the car starts to have a bad rough idle and once turned off on me. I even seen the AFR jump like crazy then the problem would go away. I’ve also seen the oil pressure below the regular stander. The tech from ford even heard and I got almost 4-5 people trying to figure out what’s wrong with my car at ford. But here’s some videos of the car acting up. Anything helps!
IMG_0578.jpeg

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I’ve also seen the oil pressure below the regular stander.
Curious on the oil pressure: when it does go that low, how long does it stay like that, how often?

When operating without issue, how is the oil pressure then? Steady? At a good psi?

They did a lot of work on the car before. Has Ford replaced the sensor module or checked wiring?

OP
OP

Enzo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang Gt
It stays like that for maybe like 2-5 minutes

the car without the issue occurring runs smooth psi is normal as we all the oil pressure

not sure on the module it did had a recall but was fixe, and not sure if they check any wiring

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
One follow-up: have you witnessed multiple conditions happening at the same time? Or, each of these events occur randomly? Thanks.

OP
OP

Enzo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang Gt
The car starts to have rough idle with the oil pressure and AFR going up and down like crazy all the same time when this happens.

Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
When your rough idle happens, does it seem similar to this?

Skip to 7:00 if the link doesn't take you there.

Gen 3 Coyotes have a known issue with VCT solenoids, where they get sluggish or stuck. That's what comes to mind first when someone posts about intermittent rough idle.

The solenoids can be replaced, or you can sometimes unstick them by manually cycling them with a 12V battery a dozen times. The second solution fixed my idle problems.

But if your car was at the dealer for a month for this issue, I would expect them to have tried this fix 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Enzo_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edwin
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang Gt
I told them about the video that maybe it could be the VCT but they ignored my opinion, but my idle sounds more like the engine wanna turn off compare than a rough idle.

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I told them about the video that maybe it could be the VCT but they ignored my opinion, but my idle sounds more like the engine wanna turn off compare than a rough idle.
That's frustrating. The VCT solenoid issue can definitely cause the engine to die at idle, though.

Luckily, you can manually cycle them at home and see if that fixes your issues. It can't hurt! I just picked up a small 12V battery for an ATV, popped the plug off the solenoid, and used alligator clamp wires to quickly apply and remove voltage.
Sponsored

Last edited: