Sponsored

Car and Driver 2020 GT500 First Test - 11.4 @ 132 quarter mile

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
What about drag radials on aftermarket or stock wheels?
I sure think a Drag Radial will sure help if the DCT Trans with Dual Clutches will hold up.The DCT Trans is going to be the weak link for high horsepower drag cars.JMO
Sponsored

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
This test is not accurate. Speedphenoum on YouTube is the first person to get the gt500 and he drove it from the dealership to that dragstrip and ran 0-60 3.3 seconds and quarter mile in 10.66 seconds at 133 mph. .and then from there took it to dyno where it laid down 707 hp to the wheels. If you calculate 15% of parasitic loss through the drivetrain, the cars hp is underrated by 20-30 hp.And that my friends are the real numbers for this car

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Those things aside, 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds is a little disappointing. I realize it's traction limited and the 132 mph trap speed tells more of the story, but I feel like C&D should have been able to get better times. That said, my theory is they are testing in December, with cold asphalt, which KILLS traction with these summer performance tires. My 460 hp GT has spun the tires at 60 mph with half throttle on the highway before the tires are warm when it's 40F outside. Even when warm, the traction is limited on cold asphalt. I would imagine these GT500 times are due to a dreadful 60' time.
The real numbers are 10.66 quarter mile and 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and 707hp to the wheels. Idk what they where doing. Look on YouTube for speedphenoum, he is the first person to take delivery of a gt500 he took it straight from the dealership to the dragstrip and posted these numbers

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
This test is not accurate. Speedphenoum on YouTube is the first person to get the gt500 and he drove it from the dealership to that dragstrip and ran 0-60 3.3 seconds and quarter mile in 10.66 seconds at 133 mph. .and then from there took it to dyno where it laid down 707 hp to the wheels. If you calculate 15% of parasitic loss through the drivetrain, the cars hp is underrated by 20-30 hp.And that my friends are the real numbers for this car
Negative. Test results are completely accurate. The kid ran 10.6 on a prepped track. C&D did their test on concrete. No prep.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Those things aside, 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds is a little disappointing. I realize it's traction limited and the 132 mph trap speed tells more of the story, but I feel like C&D should have been able to get better times. That said, my theory is they are testing in December, with cold asphalt, which KILLS traction with these summer performance tires. My 460 hp GT has spun the tires at 60 mph with half throttle on the highway before the tires are warm when it's 40F outside. Even when warm, the traction is limited on cold asphalt. I would imagine these GT500 times are due to a dreadful 60' time.
While I agree I thought they would get better, don't they (C&D, MT, R&T) test in California?

Sponsored

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Just to be clear the weather conditions were mineshaft conditions with a private track rental.

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Negative. Test results are completely accurate. The kid ran 10.6 on a prepped track. C&D did their test on concrete. No prep.
You can say whatever you want,it still ran a 10.6 on factory tires.the cars legit. And that's not even the carbon fiber track pack which will be faster because its lighter. And he also weighed it it weighed 4080 pounds on a certified scale. Just to be clear and accurate the numbers where with only 20 miles of gas in the tank.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Just to be clear the weather conditions were mineshaft conditions with a private track rental.
Negative. Mineshaft air is negative DA. None have run the GT500 in negative DA yet. When they do, then you'll see 10.3 and 10.4 hero runs. Until then, 10.6's will be fairly common, with 10.9's more than likely being average mid summer times in positive DA.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
I think the Texas MotorPlex was the first all concrete track on the NHRA Tour and one of the fastest tracks on tour because of track surface,

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
You can say whatever you want,it still ran a 10.6 on factory tires.the cars legit. And that's not even the carbon fiber track pack which will be faster because its lighter. And he also weighed it it weighed 4080 pounds on a certified scale. Just to be clear and accurate the numbers where with only 20 miles of gas in the tank.
Base is faster in the 1/4 mile.

Sponsored

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Brandon: I didn't think I'd seen any clips of the same driver in both cars...have you?
The track pack isn't available to the public yet.wont be delivered till February or so

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Negative. Mineshaft air is negative DA. None have run the GT500 in negative DA yet. When they do, then you'll see 10.3 and 10.4 hero runs. Until then, 10.6's will be fairly common, with 10.9's more than likely being average mid summer times in positive DA.
All I am saying the Texas Motorplex is not your average track.Eddie Hill in 1988 broke the first five second barrier for the first time in drag racing history at that track.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
All I am saying the Texas Motorplex is not your average track.Eddie Hill in 1988 broke the first five second barrier for the first time in drag racing history at that track.
And yet, the same times have been run at different tracks with a similar DA.

These 10.6 times are not hero runs.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I think the Texas MotorPlex was the first all concrete track on the NHRA Tour and one of the fastest tracks on tour because of track surface,
I'm getting the feeling we are not understanding the point. I was making.
PREPPED=A concrete track. 1/4 or 1/8 mile. Sprayed the entire length. With a glue like substance. To greatly increase traction.
NO PREP RACING=Racing at a 1/4 or 1/8 mile track. (Usually Concrete) With out glue. Mimics a Street race. (See Below)
STREET RACING=No prepping of any kind. Usually dusty and dirty. But also usually has the luxury of rubber being laid down. From burnouts. Which helps with traction on launch..
CAR & DRIVER=A parking lot for all I know? Without even having the luxury of rubber being laid down from previous burnouts.
I'm also willing to bet magazines don't play with tire pressure. Or warm the tires with a burn out.

I apologize if it seams like I'm insulting your intelligence. I'm just making sure everyone is on the same page.
Sponsored