Sponsored

Can you install a LOC with no speaker connected?

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I tried to post this question at DIYMA, but I'm a noob over there and the post has to be approved by an admin, so I'm not sure if it'll get posted.

My question is on how a LOC works when wiring it up. Typically, people use them to tap speaker wires to grab signal for a subwoofer, and in most cases, the speaker that they're tapping is still functional. Effectively, the LOC ends up wired in parallel with the speaker, correct?

Can you install a LOC with no speaker present? If I remove my rear factory speakers, can I still use their speaker wires to get signal with a LOC? I imagine this as a circuit, as the speaker has a positive and negative, and a functional speaker completes the circuit.

I'm also considering doing this in a car that has a factory subwoofer. It'd be nice if I could take the factory amplifier output, run it to a LOC and use that to get signal to an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer. Then, I could install a better sub in the factory location and still control it via the stock head unit, but if you have to have a speaker connected, then it won't work this way.

Thanks, in advance.
Sponsored

dwongger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Magnetic w/pp
Yes, you can use an LOC with no speaker connected.

With regards to second questions.......you can run a LOC on the output to a factory Subwoofer amp. The better solution is to tap on the sub signal before the amplifier.

OP
OP
Canoman

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you can use an LOC with no speaker connected.

With regards to second questions.......you can run a LOC on the output to a factory Subwoofer amp. The better solution is to tap on the sub signal before the amplifier.
Excellent. Thank you. I will eventually tap upstream of the factory amp in my Mustang - this LOC setup would just be temporary until I get the time to do it right. I'll have to experiment in the other car, if I opt to do upgrades to it.
Sponsored