Sponsored

Can Someone Please Check if Your Wheel Fits in the Spare Tire Space?

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Now that a few of us have mustangs in hand, I have a request that seems to be plaguing a few of us here on Mustang6g. Would any one be so kind as to remove one of their wheels on the car and see if it will fit in the spare time compartment. It doesn't matter what trim or options you have on your car. All the cars have the same total wheel diameter (give or take a .1 inches or .2). I think the most important thing to share is if the diameter fits. Would also be nice to know if the depth of the compartment too and how the width of the tire(s) fit. Please please please please include pictures. Thanks for helping out your Mustang6g family.
Sponsored

ricknco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Black 50 Yr Pkg
Was at my dealer today and ask about buying an 18" spare with jack and accessories. He said it would cost close to $1000 from the parts dept. So if you plan to get a spare, order it as an option with your car. My car was Dealer ordered without a spare.

OP
OP
kulfyur

kulfyur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 LE Mustang
Mine and many others' cannot be ordered with a spare. It's not an option. So it has to be.

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Dealer told me it wasn't even an orderable option. Another thing you may want to know is...if you use the emergency inflator gel you'll have to replace the TPM in that tire. This is not a good option so I'll just have it towed instead of paying for the TPM which will be $150 minimum.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
What I would do is if you order, order a spare tire, but have the dealer put it on another car that can actually get it with a spare, then have the dealer swap it to you. You paid for it, it's just coming with another car then they can swap it out and adjust the sticker on the other car and take your tire kit.

Sponsored

Tcnarber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium, Black Betty
What I would do is if you order, order a spare tire, but have the dealer put it on another car that can actually get it with a spare, then have the dealer swap it to you. You paid for it, it's just coming with another car then they can swap it out and adjust the sticker on the other car and take your tire kit.
Huh?

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
Was at my dealer today and ask about buying an 18" spare with jack and accessories. He said it would cost close to $1000 from the parts dept. So if you plan to get a spare, order it as an option with your car. My car was Dealer ordered without a spare.
Who ever ordered the Vehicle (without) the $300 optional Spare Tire option should be Fired!

slcoddity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
wonder how much does a donut cost? since I didn't order it with the car

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP

Isn't the spare tire just a donut? If so, how could it possibly cost $1000 for a scissor jack, donut and lug nut wrench?

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Can all 4 of the Mustang wheels (with tires) fit inside the car? Just thinking of transporting wheels to and from the wheel shop.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Isn't the spare tire just a donut? If so, how could it possibly cost $1000 for a scissor jack, donut and lug nut wrench?
Because that's what those parts cost out of the Ford parts book. I found that out in August a couple of months after I'd already ordered my car and frantically called the dealer to change the order and add in the spare tire.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Because that's what those parts cost out of the Ford parts book. I found that out in August a couple of months after I'd already ordered my car and frantically called the dealer to change the order and add in the spare tire.
too bad you can't get it with the PP....

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I believe I saw somewhere that the spare tire is 18" x 5". It would seem that NONE of the stock wheels would be flush with the wheel well cover in place, since all of the wheels are larger than 5" in width (7.5, 8, 9, 9.5).

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
And here I thought I would be getting away from ridiculously inflated parts pricing in my move to ford from bmw.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
And here I thought I would be getting away from ridiculously inflated parts pricing in my move to ford from bmw.
Most parts are very reasonable -- the spare tire and jack/wrench assemblies are ludicrously unreasonable. I asked a parts guy about it once, and he said it was because of their scarcity -- he'd been working at a Ford dealership in New York City for eight years and had never seen a single car get a spare tire replacement. Items that nobody ever buys are, by their nature, going to be more expensive than volume products.
Sponsored