Sponsored

Can rev matching be adjusted?

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
You can also reset the KAM via Forscan, I've done it via Battery disconnect and Forscan, I couldn't tell the difference between each type of reset, you would think the Forscan reset would be more thorough.
After a reset, the car shifts a little odd for the first 30 mins to an hour then seems to settle down to normal shifting after that. This is all just based on my experience so far.
Surely. I suppose you could get in-depth and see if something such as this exists for Mach 1 as well, or even try this method and see what happens...?

1. Using the scan tool, clear the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and Transmission Adaptive Tables.

2. Drive the vehicle until the engine and transmission reach normal operating temperature.

3. Accelerate from a stop with light throttle (15%) ensuring that upshifts 1st through 8th occur at engine speeds between 1300-1600 rpm.

4. Continue to accelerate (may apply slightly more throttle after 7-8 upshift at 32-38 mph (51- 61 km/h) until you achieve 55 mph (88 km/h) and the 8-9 and 9-10 shifts complete.

5. Brake very gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for five (5) seconds.

6. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

7. Shift the transmission to Reverse. Wait 2 seconds.

8. Shift the transmission to Neutral. Wait 1 second.

9. Shift the transmission to Drive. Wait 2 seconds.

10. Repeat Steps 3 through 9 six additional times.

© Copyright 2020, Ford Motor Company.
Hope you have a long long stretch of road!
Sponsored

Attachments

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Keep Alive Memory Control module, retains learnt transmission behaviours.

Disconnecting the battery for 30 mins is one way to reset it. Do a search under the word KAM or have a read of the 10R80 thread in the Transmission section, there's a lot of good reading there.
It's better to use a scan tool to reset the trans module alone. Disconnecting the battery will cause the PCM to lose it's stored settings and I'm sure other modules may be affected as well.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
It's better to use a scan tool to reset the trans module alone. Disconnecting the battery will cause the PCM to lose it's stored settings and I'm sure other modules may be affected as well.
I am surprised that removing a battery actually resets anything at all. The days when we did not have a non volatile memory (aka NVM) ended with the last century. Today, there is no reason to have an ECU storing its persistent parameters into an NVM, the same way the computer uses SSD or the mobile phone uses its internal memory.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I am surprised that removing a battery actually resets anything at all. The days when we did not have a non volatile memory (aka NVM) ended with the last century. Today, there is no reason to have an ECU storing its persistent parameters into an NVM, the same way the computer uses SSD or the mobile phone uses its internal memory.
While more things are beginning to use NVM it's not true in every case/module. Some radios/entertainment systems do keep station presets but many still do not. BCMs on Fords do keep some stuff retained, like age of the battery which affects the charging profile for the battery; thus you have to reset it when you replace the battery or the new battery may not last as long since it's programmed to charge at a higher voltage as it ages (to overcome sulfation of the plates, etc.). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with cost as if they can even save 5 cents by opting for a cheaper component, they will. It may seem minor but I recall automakers using plastic retainer clips to hold in chrome trim rather than sheet metal screws for that reason. When you multiply the cost difference in thousands of vehicles per year, the "bean counters" opt for the cheaper solution. They don't care about longevity as long as it will get past the basic warranty.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
While more things are beginning to use NVM it's not true in every case/module. Some radios/entertainment systems do keep station presets but many still do not. BCMs on Fords do keep some stuff retained, like age of the battery which affects the charging profile for the battery; thus you have to reset it when you replace the battery or the new battery may not last as long since it's programmed to charge at a higher voltage as it ages (to overcome sulfation of the plates, etc.). I'm sure a lot of it has to do with cost as if they can even save 5 cents by opting for a cheaper component, they will. It may seem minor but I recall automakers using plastic retainer clips to hold in chrome trim rather than sheet metal screws for that reason. When you multiply the cost difference in thousands of vehicles per year, the "bean counters" opt for the cheaper solution. They don't care about longevity as long as it will get past the basic warranty.
While I can imagine that for some (cheap) non-essential modules the saving is the real reason, I would expect (or I would design it that way if I was to) that if anything resets after a power cycle, it does it because it is designed to (while still using NVM and doing explicit "reformat" in this case). The reason why I would expect it to behave this way is that the NVM is far more robust to different voltage fluctuations (and noise) and can keep its integrity over the harsher conditions. But this is just my speculation and I am just imagining things.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
While I can imagine that for some (cheap) non-essential modules the saving is the real reason, I would expect (or I would design it that way if I was to) that if anything resets after a power cycle, it does it because it is designed to (while still using NVM and doing explicit "reformat" in this case). The reason why I would expect it to behave this way is that the NVM is far more robust to different voltage fluctuations (and noise) and can keep its integrity over the harsher conditions. But this is just my speculation and I am just imagining things.
I think the "quality" of components/circuits can vary a lot while doing similar tasks. That's why we see such a disparity in prices even in consumer goods/electronics. While 2 products may have identical purposes and may seem to be able to do identical tasks, the disparity in costs will eventually show up either in longevity/durability of the product or other areas. I recall Chrysler having a major problem some decades ago with their "solid-state cooling fan relay" where they commonly failed either by going open a lot (fans staying of resulting in overheating of the engine) or being shorted where the fans would run constantly resulting in a dead battery overnight (not as common but did occur). I recall them having more than 10 design revisions indicated by the alphabet following the part number stamped on the OEM component, yet still having them fail. I guess they eventually figured it out as I didn't run into that issue later on.
Sponsored