Sponsored

Can I use Mobil 1?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
would be hilarious if motorcraft is rebadged Mobil 1. People lose way too much sleep thinking about oil. Porsche 919 Hybrid race car uses Mobil 1 straight out of the bottle, but not good enough for a Ford

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
would be hilarious if motorcraft is rebadged Mobil 1

People lose way too much sleep thinking about oil
I have to admit, I would laugh.

Some people lose way too much sleep thinking about things that may cause other people to lose way too much sleep. It's a vicious cycle.

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
I think I'm just going to go Motorcraft. Anyone got it for a cheaper price than the dealer?
Rock Auto's everyday price on the Motorcraft oil is $7.01 (must buy in case quantities). My shipping was $6.99 for a total of $91.11 a case. They also have the FL2069ST filters for $14.56 and the cartridge FL2062 for $4.95

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I have the maintenance plan for 5 years upgraded so I get synthetic.

The dealer used Mobil 1

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Someone told me Motorcraft motor oil is made by Conoco Phillips. I don't know that for sure, just repeating what I heard.

Mobil 1 0W-40 FS has the most complete additive package of the M1 lineup. It's a GTL oil, so the base is good too.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Conoco/Phillips makes Motorcraft, not Mobil 1.

The OEM Motorcraft 5W50 quickly shears down to a 40-weight within the first hundred miles or so. In practicality, it's very similar in weight to Mobil 1 0W40 -which is an excellent oil.

Redline, Motul, Mobil 1, and Amsoil 5W50s are thick 50-weights and don't shear down much, so this will cause the cold start up oil pressures to be even higher than stock and make your oil pump work harder. The stock 100psi+ is fine for the Voodoo as long as you don't rev the piss or load it hard when cold like most idiots do at Cars & Coffee. Let it warm up, get the oil pressure down, then have fun.

Also keep in mind that thinner oils cool better than thicker oils. Just look at the Used Oil Analysis (UOA) of these oils to verify. Because of this, you can easily make the case that these 5W50s are much worse than Mobil 1 0W40.

If you're going with a higher end oil like Motul or Amsoil, I would pick a 0W40 or 5W40 over a 5W50.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Conoco/Phillips makes Motorcraft, not Mobil 1.
Correct. That's what I said. Exxon makes Mobil 1.

The OEM Motorcraft 5W50 quickly shears down to a 40-weight within the first hundred miles or so. In practicality, it's very similar in weight to Mobil 1 0W40 -which is an excellent oil.
It does shear, but I think it's dependent on conditions, driving style, etc. This is an older thread, but the data collected at the time is interesting: https://www.*******************/forums/threads/official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.805918/

I know that several oils in that spreadsheet have gone through reformulation since then, M1 0w-40 being one of them. Not sure about Motorcraft.

For enzo and others considering: I didn't take the switch from Ford's recommendation lightly. I researched a ton of info and came to my own conclusions. I recommend you do the same, and if your conclusions are to stay with MC 5w-50, then you should do so.

However, considering my own use of the car and style of driving, UOAs from multiple sources and brands, and also considering the multiple factors that most certainly went into the final recommendation in the owner's manual, it came down to M1 0w-40 FS as my preferred oil after break-in. I am still researching, and I am strongly considering looking at Pennzoil Ultra-Platinum as an alternative to M1 because it has high marks across the board as well.

But one thing is for certain - splitting hairs over motor oil is not typically time well spent. If you're obsessive, go for it, but you're not likely to go wrong by simply sticking to Ford's recommendation.

Edit: Oh, that's right...can't link to the "other" forum. Sorry, look it up.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mobil 1 0w40 is great stuff. IIRC, Pennzoil had a real big problem with foaming or aeration. I've used Mobil 1 0w40 in my BMWs for years and my uoas were always excellent and the cams looked beautiful after 150K.

Some oils like Shell TWS 10w60 are thick initially and then shears down to a thinner oil due to the additive package being thicker when brand new but operationally runs as a 50 weight. It sounds like OEM motorcraft does the same from a 50 down to a 40.
Sponsored