Can I swap out the BCM?

gtv6capri

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0, 1972 Ford Capri GT V6
Hi all, I have multiple electrical issues with my car, (locking, heater/Radio/switches control panel, Tyre Pressure monitor) I assume the common link is the BCM. I may have damaged this when I had the rear section of wiring harness torn in half following a mishap with an item being pulled out of the trunk. Harness has ben repaired but these issues remain. I have access to the exact same BCM from a wreck for very little money (worth buying just for the spare fuses its that cheap...)

My question is, the BCM is easy to swap out as everything has quick release plugs, however, will my car recognize the replacement, or will it have to be re-programmed at the dealer? Many thanks
Sponsored

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Unfortunately I think all of your keys are coded to the BCM. I think a dealer visit is necessary for this one.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Not only are the keys linked to the BCM but, I believe, the BCM is linked to the VIN

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Its a definite reprogram at the dealer. Many things tie into it. Also it's best to have them do it completely, as the car will no longer start once you plug the new one in - so you are looking at a towing bill as well.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
I think this can be done by yourself, but it requires some FORScan skills. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to the old BCM and ask the dealer for help.

These would be the steps.
1)
Save the As-Built data of your current BCM.
2)
Switch the BCM.
3)
Load the saved As-Built data to the new BCM.
4)
Relearn your keys. Put the first key into the backup slot, start the ignition and shut it off. Repeat for the second key.

If you know, how to work with FORScan, then I would give it a try.
Sponsored