Sponsored

Camaro Watch: Revealed Early

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
Looks pretty good to me, I don't care for the spoiler on the SS or the back end in general (Mustang's is better) but otherwise I like it. HUD, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats, valved exhaust, Magnetic dampers, dual 8 inch LCD displays, rev matched manual transmission, lighter by 200lbs and more HP/TQ.

I'll have to take a look next year.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Ok, so now that I have had a little time to look at the new Camaro I'd say I have mixed feelings about it. The front is decent, but I would have preferred a larger departure. I don't car for the side profile or rear at all. I agree with some of you in saying that the last gen looked better in a lot of areas. From the pictures the interior looks really cool to me. I like how clean the gauges are, and the large center screen appears to offer a lot more than the current Mustangs do. I also like the HUD, and those crazy vents remind me of something you'd see on a high end Italian sports car.

I'll definitely wait until I see one in person to make a final call. I've seen a lot of interiors that look great in pictures, but when you are in them they don't hold up. I don't think I like the interior enough to get pass the exterior. IMO the 2015 Mustang kills it in exterior look. The Camaro might have it beat on the interior options however.
The car has too many lines/angles on it...it's over designed inside and out. From the 3/4 view it looks like a Genesis Coupe. If you look at the front, just on the hood, there are 6 different angles and it continues into the front. The front has so many angles it's kinda absurd.

As for the inside, again, it's like they are trying too hard and just threw everything in there. The raised gauge clusters will probably hurt visibility and the lighting features all over again reek of over design.

Nothing looks like the S500 and they did an amazing job across the board on it inside and out. If you get this, you'll just be another 5th/6th gen Camaro because most won't know the difference.

blkandgud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
I gotta say, their instrument cluster and their center info screen kill the Mustang's. It's so much more refined and better looking. But, the placement of the vents are a yuck.

I don't know though, I've just never been a Chevy fan since it was my first car ever and just seemed kinda redneck-y. I will have to see this one in person before I decide. Like I said before, the biggest problem I have with this car is that the average person won't be able to tell this new model from the one that came out in 2009. It looks too similar.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
This will be very hypocritical of me to say, but with the new mustang it doesn't REALLY look like a mustang, it's very european and has the same body lines as a DB9, saying that the v8,v6,and i4 all sound RIGHT "subjectively" coming from the car, now with the camaro, it's a very muscle car that in my opinion should only have a v8 as it looks and feels american just like the challenger, I feel that a 2 liter inside one of those tanks is going to both not work right and sound wrong.

Reason why I say it's hypocritical is because I own an i4 S550 now bashing another i4 in an american car but the mustang can pull it off, the camaro not so much and no way in the challenger.
Time have passed muscle car days are over, mustang evolved and doing very well, s550 bring in alot of first time mustang buyer. Thats smart business from Ford, i ca t blame ford for that.

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
Time have passed muscle car days are over, mustang evolved and doing very well, s550 bring in alot of first time mustang buyer. Thats smart business from Ford, i ca t blame ford for that.
I think the s550 brought in a lot of first time buyers mainly because of the updated interior and IRS. Two if which the camaro has in spaids. The camaro has the better interior, at least from a technical standpoint. As a future automatic owner I appreciate Chevy not punishing us like Ford did for not offering a decent auto and a PP. For an auto camaro owner they get the 8speed and magnetic ride control. Which is a better auto configuration compared to what ford offers. For the manual guys, the camaro also get a better manual transmission, offering the Tremec which is better then the mt82 by a long shot. As far as looks, the mustang still wins by a long shot. I reserve judgement for when the camaro is released, but i think an aggressive package such as a 1le or something that adds a lip kit might make the 6g camaro look quite nice.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think the s550 brought in a lot of first time buyers mainly because of the updated interior and IRS. Two if which the camaro has in spaids. The camaro has the better interior, at least from a technical standpoint. As a future automatic owner I appreciate Chevy not punishing us like Ford did for not offering a decent auto and a PP. For an auto camaro owner they get the 8speed and magnetic ride control. Which is a better auto configuration compared to what ford offers. For the manual guys, the camaro also get a better manual transmission, offering the Tremec which is better then the mt82 by a long shot. As far as looks, the mustang still wins by a long shot. I reserve judgement for when the camaro is released, but i think an aggressive package such as a 1le or something that adds a lip kit might make the 6g camaro look quite nice.
Ford is 2 years ahead of Camaro. This Camaro won't even hit the showrooms till probably Nov/Dec IF that.

Ford will counter with the '17 or '18.

The thing I think Camaro did well was they have a new V6 and put it as the mid model. They listened to the Mustang buyers. Now they might grab some buyers into the fold from Ford due to Ford neglecting the V6.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Ford is 2 years ahead of Camaro. This Camaro won't even hit the showrooms till probably Nov/Dec IF that.

Ford will counter with the '17 or '18.

The thing I think Camaro did well was they have a new V6 and put it as the mid model. They listened to the Mustang buyers. Now they might grab some buyers into the fold from Ford due to Ford neglecting the V6.
You mean Chevy listened to Mustang customers and made the 4 cyl smaller with less HP and T so that the V6 would become the midrange engine?

Ford could have put the 2.0L Focus ST engine in the Mustang as well so that the V6 would be the midrange engine. What fun is that? I hope they bore this thing out to a 2.5L or bigger some day. i am not interested in automakers that purposely detune engines for political marketing reasons. Squeeze the biggest and best in the car and let the performance numbers determine the lineup.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
6g camaro will be in the showroom 2nd half 2016, by then ford should announce 17' mustang specs.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
This! Look how many BMW, Audi and other foreign car buyers have bought this new S550. Hell, there are 5-10 Porsche owners here that have a new '15 and they love it. That sings praises to me.

I just don't believe the Camaro will do the same but that is just my thoughts. Maybe I am wrong. Guess time will tell, that being in 2016.

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
:bump:
This! Look how many BMW, Audi and other foreign car buyers have bought this new S550. Hell, there are 5-10 Porsche owners here that have a new '15 and they love it. That sings praises to me.

I just don't believe the Camaro will do the same but that is just my thoughts. Maybe I am wrong. Guess time will tell, that being in 2016.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
You mean Chevy listened to Mustang customers and made the 4 cyl smaller with less HP and T so that the V6 would become the midrange engine?

Ford could have put the 2.0L Focus ST engine in the Mustang as well so that the V6 would be the midrange engine. What fun is that? I hope they bore this thing out to a 2.5L or bigger some day. i am not interested in automakers that purposely detune engines for political marketing reasons. Squeeze the biggest and best in the car and let the performance numbers determine the lineup.
Yes I do think that. I think Chevy understands that buyers do not see a 4 cylinder as a mid range option and most find it shouldn't even exist...so they did the best thing and put the 4 in the base model and came out with a better tuned and improved NA V6.

4-6-8...that makes sense to most buyers and those that want a V6 will go to Camaro. It WILL take some buyers from Ford for sure.

And yes they could have put the 2.0 in it BUT I think the Mustang came in too heavy for that. The 4-cylinder in the Camaro is going to be much lighter then the EB Mustang. They also could have did more with the V6 but it looks like they really didnt do anything so the EB would sell, which annoys me.

Yep they got me in. I was going to get a new S3 but in the end, the S550 is just leaps and bounds better looking and more unique and just cooler looking and I get the options I want in a car that is about $7k less then the $45K + S3...other then the magnetic ride, the Mustang has the better options. I do wish Ford would have kept the V6 and did more with it...I would have gone with that but V8 it is for me. Out the door for me in my '16 GT Premium is going to be around $39K and that's with an auto, 401A, black accent, reverse, security, spare, premium trim.

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Yes I do think that. I think Chevy understands that buyers do not see a 4 cylinder as a mid range option and most find it shouldn't even exist...so they did the best thing and put the 4 in the base model and came out with a better tuned and improved NA V6.

4-6-8...that makes sense to most buyers and those that want a V6 will go to Camaro. It WILL take some buyers from Ford for sure.

And yes they could have put the 2.0 in it BUT I think the Mustang came in too heavy for that. The 4-cylinder in the Camaro is going to be much lighter then the EB Mustang. They also could have did more with the V6 but it looks like they really didnt do anything so the EB would sell, which annoys me.

Yep they got me in. I was going to get a new S3 but in the end, the S550 is just leaps and bounds better looking and more unique and just cooler looking and I get the options I want in a car that is about $7k less then the $45K + S3...other then the magnetic ride, the Mustang has the better options. I do wish Ford would have kept the V6 and did more with it...I would have gone with that but V8 it is for me. Out the door for me in my '16 GT Premium is going to be around $39K and that's with an auto, 401A, black accent, reverse, security, spare, premium trim.

Most Mustang buyers would agree the 4 cyl shouldn't exist? I would say the EB is selling just fine to a great many Mustang buyers.

You have just showed your extreme prejudice. By thinking that way you will forever miss the opportunity of a very nice road car. Enjoy your GT but your disdain for the EB seems to indicate its existence threatens you. Good luck...

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Most Mustang buyers would agree the 4 cyl shouldn't exist? I would say the EB is selling just fine to a great many Mustang buyers.

You have just showed your extreme prejudice. By thinking that way you will forever miss the opportunity of a very nice road car. Enjoy your GT but your disdain for the EB seems to indicate its existence threatens you. Good luck...
I'm not prejudiced at all. You seem really defensive about your EB. Every time a EB owner does what you are doing, you just reinforce the stereotype that you're defending your purchase.

I could care less what people drive and whats under the hood.

And there is a large segment that doesn't believe a 4 cylinder belongs in the Mustang or Camaro. You can deny it all you want. That group is out there and that's what they believe. Chevy knows this and is going to benefit from it by offering a V6 with all the options unlike Ford which stripped theirs down.

Anyone with sense can see what Ford did. They knew they would never sell as many EBs if they gave the Mustang V6 a premium trim. That is why the V6 was de-tuned, stripped of features...to force people into the EB. Ford did this purposefully so they could sell more EBs to make their CAFE credits/sell #s.

Chevy will take a lot of the mid level $$$ buyers that have the same money to spend and they are going to look at a 4 cylinder in the Mustang that requires premium fuel or a NA V6 in the Camaro and most will take a NA V6. Reg fuel, no turbo lag, tried and true engines.

BTW I actually drove all 3 (V6, EB, GT) multiple times...have you? Took them all out in order. Didn't like the feel or sound of the EB. So I do know what I'm not missing.
Sponsored