brownisland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mini Cooper JCW, 2020 Ford Shelby GT350
Wanted to get some advice from experts!

i bought a car out of state and brought it to CA - so it requires a SMOG test.

OBDII not ready so i failed. Then i drove for two hours and tested again.

everything passed but the oxygen and heat sensor...

Does anyone know what to do? Proper Drive cycle for the o2?
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My mechanic I use for non-factory warranted cars let me borrow a thing I plugged into the OBDII port that had lights on it to indicate when it/the systems would be ready for smog.

I had come in at 100 miles(the mileage a lot of people were OK at to come in for smog) but I wasn't driving the car like a grandma driving a Prius, so it actually took me about 500 miles before all systems were go for a smog check.

If you can bear it, drive it like a normal daily driver and try to come in around 100 or 200 miles. Preferably to a shop you are familiar with, or will let you come back for a retest in the future if you fail. Good luck! Fun times!

Seabiscuit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I actually just got mine inspected in ny. I did have a flex tune in it where the rear o2s were shut off. I didn’t think it was going to pass but I figure screw it let me see what happens. It failed as the oxygen sensors were not ready. I put the 93 tune in it and bought an innova obdii scanner from autozone and drive it for a couple hundred miles. All of the emission tests were green except for EVAP. I think this might be a tricky one to get actually perform the test. From what I read on line it took people several hundred miles for car to perform test. Even with this test not performed my car still past inspection. I know it’s not ca but from what I understand EVAP is not a smok test. In summary not bad to get a scanner so u don’t waist time and money at shop, drive the car the best you can based in the drive castle above and scan the car after a couple hundred miles. Hope this help a little bit and good luck

Seabiscuit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vincent
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Drive cycle above(trying to type too fast)

Sponsored

gflo25

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerardo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm going through something similar with the O2 and Heated O2 sensors. The drive cycle sheet put out by Ford doesn't list these two so I'm not sure if there's something special that we have to do for them.

It could also be a tune issue. Some tuners used to turn off those sensors before the EPA came for them, and they'll never come on no matter how long you drive.

Also some states will let you pass with one monitor not set, so look into the requirements in your state.

OP
OP

brownisland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mini Cooper JCW, 2020 Ford Shelby GT350
I'm in California so its probably the most difficult in terms of registration or working with the DMV.

Hopefully I can get this done within weeks....