Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
What do some of you do to keep bugs from getting packed into the radiator? I know I'm being OCD but it's sucks to have all that mess. I live in a rural area and soon the bugs will be all over. I'm considering a screen that can be easily removed and I know it may reduce air flow but I may try it and see what effect it has.
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Wash the bugs from your radiator before they are baked on...or...
I bought some black nylon medium-mesh tent insect screening. Because my Premium EB convertible did not come with adjusting shutters, I had plenty of room to stretch the screening across the back side of the grill. I used small black plastic wire ties to attach the screening to the grill.
Glad I did...less than a month after I installed the screening, I ran into a cloud of lake flies. Lake flies can be so thick that they completely cover roadways and cars can skid off the road. I checked the screening...the flies covered the whole grill, two to three layers thick. When I got home, I used my high pressure washer to blast the crud off the screening. Regular garden hose pressure would never have washed them away, and
a pressure washer sprayer would ruin an aluminum radiator.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Wash the bugs from your radiator before they are baked on...or...
I bought some black nylon medium-mesh tent insect screening. Because my Premium EB convertible did not come with adjusting shutters, I had plenty of room to stretch the screening across the back side of the grill. I used small black plastic wire ties to attach the screening to the grill.
Glad I did...less than a month after I installed the screening, I ran into a cloud of lake flies. Lake flies can be so thick that they completely cover roadways and cars can skid off the road. I checked the screening...the flies covered the whole grill, two to three layers thick. When I got home, I used my high pressure washer to blast the crud off the screening. Regular garden hose pressure would never have washed them away, and
a pressure washer spray would ruin an aluminum radiator.
I agree on washing before they bake on, but that's near impossible when your driving and the radiator is hot already. I know all about lake "may" flys. I live on Lake Erie and we get them bad also. Sounds like your driving or walking on rice crispy's. I'll try the screening. Thanks.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Presoak with bug remover before washing.
Power washer.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I want to prevent them from getting into the radiator.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
To bad that won't fit a gt350/gt350R.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
^^Yuck. Besides being (imho) ugly, if you get any grit in there, its OVER for your paint.

I will be installing a clear bra. I like the screen idea too. I have some black heavy duty screen left over from a window repair....
Well, make sure your engine does not overheat.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Well, make sure your engine does not overheat.
I don't think laying some in front of the condenser will attenuate airflow too bad. If it does, it will be easy enough to yank out.

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
Just think about all the people that go years without washing their cars. Those cars don't overheat because of bugs and heck, eventually...they'll just rot and fall out anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it.

OrangeRush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CSGT Competition Orange
Just remember...if you poke a hole in a screen...you have fewer holes than you started with.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
There was a thread about bugs on one forum, where the guy went through a grasshopper swarm. It was ugly! Some were still kicking when he got home and went to clean them out. Some went through his vents and into the cab of the car. I get some bugs driving to Palm Springs after a good rain, when the cactus and flowers are all blooming...seems to increase the bug splatter 10 fold.
Sponsored