Sponsored

Bringing up that vibration/noise thread in the 50-70mph again

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
2016 EB manual tranny with 36K on it; stock 18" GY F1Asym a/s tires.

After taking off the snows in April, I started noticing a loudish whirring noise that sounded ike it was in the front end of the car in the 60-70m mph range. It was loud enough to be annoying and there was a bit of vibration with it.
Took it back to the dealer where they balanced all four wheels; the vibration went away but the noise stayed and seems to be getting louder. Had it out on an interstate on brand new pavement--almost no vibration in the steering wheel but the noise is still there. Sounds like a track tire after a day at the track or old snow tires.
One thing I have noticed is that while cresting a hill--say on a back road at speed--as the front end gets light, the noise goes away and then comes back as the weight is transferred back onto the front end.

I'm about to get it back to the dealer to have them look at it again and wondered if this is something more than a tire issue.
Since there is very little vibration, I'm thinking it sin't the DS but don't want to rule it out. What noise kind of noise is associated with an out of balance DS and how loud does it get?
Thanks for any help with this.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
One thing I have noticed is that while cresting a hill--say on a back road at speed--as the front end gets light, the noise goes away and then comes back as the weight is transferred back onto the front end.
Sounds like it could be the tires and/or maybe the front wheel bearings. Jack up the front end and rotate the tires by hand and listen in a quiet setting. Also make sure the tires are inflated to the correct pressure.

OP
OP
Mr981

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Had the car to the local dealer quick lane service for an oil change and tire rotation. Fronts went on the back and that's where the noise went; the front end now is pretty quiet.
I'll drive these till Mid-November and then put the Blizzaks on.
I liked these GY F1 A/S till this noise showed up and apparently wheel balancing can;t fix it. I hate to dump tires that will still have 6/32 tread on them but the noise is a definite PITA.
Likely to put FS Indy 500 on or another UHP tire.
Sponsored