Brembo rebuild

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Oh right, the seals in the caliper. As I suggested, use some heat to warm up the rubber as it’s probably hardened a little. It should be some what soft with some heat to it. Usually a pick or flat heat screwdriver works to pry it out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
Oh right, the seals in the caliper. As I suggested, use some heat to warm up the rubber as it’s probably hardened a little. It should be some what soft with some heat to it. Usually a pick or flat heat screwdriver works to pry it out.
I used every pick I could find, tweezers, needle nose pliers, toothpicks, razor blades and screwdrivers. All it would do is tear. Tried multiple times (due to frustration) to remove them and gave up. Seeing these replies makes me think it’s time for the torch.

I went as far as buying a powder coating machine from Eastwood to do this project. Now, it’s been nice for other pieces but the calipers were the real reason I got it.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
A torch held in place for a long time will make the rubber brittle and can be taken off with a wire wheel and sandpaper to clean. That’s what I did when taking out bushings for a control arm as the shells had to remain inside.

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
A torch held in place for a long time will make the rubber brittle and can be taken off with a wire wheel and sandpaper to clean. That’s what I did when taking out bushings for a control arm as the shells had to remain inside.
Made a video of trying to torch the boots and I can NOT for the life of me figure out how to upload it. I don’t understand how Apple can make things so difficult ? Took video on iPhone blah blah blah cloud blah blah blah MacBook...doesn’t work.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Made a video of trying to torch the boots and I can NOT for the life of me figure out how to upload it. I don’t understand how Apple can make things so difficult ? Took video on iPhone blah blah blah cloud blah blah blah MacBook...doesn’t work.
Instagram?

Sponsored

OP
OP
nameuser

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
Instagram?
Don't have social media.
Basically the rubber got so hot it glowed and when I scraped with the pick it crumbled, some. Very surprised at the heat resistance. I held a propane torch to it for two minutes solid and there's still rubber holding on. I need to dremel and heat it again. The amount of effort going in for one of the boots is making this an undertaking for the whole caliper.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Don't have social media.
Basically the rubber got so hot it glowed and when I scraped with the pick it crumbled, some. Very surprised at the heat resistance. I held a propane torch to it for two minutes solid and there's still rubber holding on. I need to dremel and heat it again. The amount of effort going in for one of the boots is making this an undertaking for the whole caliper.
A dremel with a wire wheel should clean it up.

MP2733

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Don't have social media.
I wonder if they would stand up to the heat of powdercoating then... just a simple 400° bake.
Sponsored