Breaking in the beast

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, I really want to do right by this car. I've had a fair number of cars in 45 plus years of driving. But this one should be brought up right. I have some topics and questions that hopefully the more seasoned driver can help to expand on.

First there is the RPMs and MPH and Odometer for the 1st 1000 Miles
  1. How fast
  2. How high to allow the RPMs to go
  3. Does the car limit the RPMs watching the Odometer
  4. Is everyone nursing their Mach 1 for the first 1000 miles

Next there is brake burnishing - I read somewhere about doing a lot of rapid brakes and various speeds
  1. What speeds
  2. How long per speed
  3. How often to do
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Ive heard people say everything from baby it to beat the shit out of it leaving the dealer lot. Every new car I’ve had I go easy the first 500 miles with varying rpms and speeds. The next 500 I gradually build up with a little more spirited acceleration and still varying speeds, trying to avoid cruising on the freeway. When it hits 1000 I give it absolute hell. Don’t know if it’s the best way but its how I was brought up. I’ve never had an engine that burned oil or gave me problems so it’s what I stick to.
As for the brakes I just use them. Never broken a set in.

Last edited:

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Read the owner's manual section about breaking in the new engine, but don't overthink it. The engineers at Ford put what they feel you need to know in writing. Follow that, not the advice of chuckleheads on a forum.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
The Mach 1 comes with it's own supplement manual to the main one. Read it from cover to cover. It will answer your questions. Mine had 7 miles on it when it came off the transport @ Granger Ford. As soon as I cleared the Des Moines, IA area, I slowly eased it up to 150 ............ I-35 is table top flat. So is the KA turnpike. :rockon: :crackup: Google maps, a high end scanner and, a damn good radar detector are you best friends. FJG is a low visibility color. And has extremely low reflectivity to radar vs the metallic base paints !
Sponsored