Sponsored

Brake Pad Change- 2018 PP1 - Install Question (doing now)

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
So far so good, my first ever car rotor/pad replacement but I have a question. I've changed dozens of superbike motorcycle pads/rotors.

The low dust pads I bought, Powerstop Z23 have a backer on the pad. But, it's a slightly different shape than the stock pad back plate.

Please refer to this video:

You can see at 1:38 in the video during disassembly the metal plate on the back of the brake pad has a 360 degree hole through which the brake pins slide.

At 3:36 during reinstall, the caliper pins are in but the metal clip plate on the back of the brake pad has no 360 degree hole through which the brake pins slide. This is what mine look like.

I'm pretty sure I am not supposed to use both the stock plate AND the one that came on the pad, correct?

Thanks in advance.

PS Search wasn't working....
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
:dunno: - the backing plates on the Hawk pads in the video clearly have round holes for the pins to slide through, and I can't imagine pin-constrained pads not having full round holes for the pins.

I hope you got the right pads, but between this and your mention of different shape makes me wonder. You might be able to figure this out from the pad number - the last typically four numbers generally refer to pad shape and you could compare that to the numbers of pads that fit your car's brakes as listed at Tire Rack or other vendors.

Norm

OP
OP
sdiver68

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Mine look just like the video. Going to bed them now, if I don't come back you know what happened! :crazy:

EDIT: Made it back :sunglasses:
Sponsored

Last edited: