Sponsored

Boy, those factory Ecoboost motors are sure hot. . .

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Last night I was waiting in a long checkout line and the gentleman behind me and I started talking. As it turns out, last year he purchased a brand-new Ecoboost convertible.

"Boy, that thing sure is fast!" he says.

"Yeah, they're not bad," I respond. "I ended up buying the GT."

"I wanted to buy the V8," he said, "but since the Ecoboost makes 400 horsepower stock I couldn't say no!"

You know how even when you know better, someone's own certitude can make you doubt your own knowledge?

"I. . . I'm pretty sure the Ecoboost engine has about 310 horsepower."

"No, the salesman told me in 2016 they bumped it up to 400. I told him, 'If you can't sell me this car, there's something wrong with you!'"

I let it go at that, but surreptitiously checked Google. I sure can't find reference to a factory-stock 400hp Ecoboost, but y'know what? This guy enjoys driving his car, and good on him for that.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, 310.
A salesman BSing a customer? Say it ain't so.
Sometimes it is better to let it go and let people live in their fantasy world.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
I remember looking at the (new for the time) 2005 Mustang, and so the saleslady took me out to look at a V6 Mustang, and told me it had 300hp (V6 was like 210 or something at the time) I told her this is the V6, it has only 210, but she kept convincing me that its 300.

I just left it at that.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Not how I expected this thread to go. Honestly, I thought the thread was going to be about you feeling the heat radiating around the engine bay. But now, since I've read everything, I'm speechless...

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
310 HP sure is fast. I thought that when I went for a test ride.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
10/10 times, I know (or seem to know) more about the entire lineup of a manufacturer than the sales people.

I am starting to think that they benefit from not really knowing much so they can vaguely reference something they've heard and not come off as if they're lying.

Potential customers, judgment clouded by emotions, read into those comments whatever they want to hear.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Sort of along the same lines, at the office, in our structural engineering department, one of the managers used to have a Chrysler 300. I believe it was on a 3 year lease and time was up. He ended up getting a new (2017 probably) Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track Edition. It's ok and all. Never really even talked to him about it.

A few days ago, however, one of my coworkers who's also a car guy (has an EVO MR) comes over and is like:

"So did you see Jeff got a new car? It's a new Dodge Charger R/T. He says it's way too fast for him. He says it has 485hp!! Wow! I asked him to take me for a ride"

Now I'm no Dodge expert by any means but I am definitely aware that there are 2 version of the HEMI V8 that are offered in the Charger (not including the Hellcat). There's a smaller 5.7L with 370hp and a larger 6.4L that makes 485hp. I was pretty sure that the version he got did NOT have 485hp but had the measly 370hp.

Got to researching it and sure enough, the R/T Road & Track only comes with the 5.7L. Mind you, the guy that purchased the car is definitely NOT a car guy nor is he one that I would expect would make things up. I think the culprit here is a sales person who was either an idiot, or more likely took advantage of someone who was obviously not a car guy. Either way it's F'd up.

To this day, I haven't told him about it. I think he still thinks he has 485hp. If he's happy, who am I to take that away from him? :D

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
10/10 times, I know (or seem to know) more about the entire lineup of a manufacturer than the sales people.
This. Not to mention other aspects.

When I ordered my '15, I practically had to enter the order myself. The sequence to order a premium/premier trim/red interior was a stumbling block for the poor guy, he didn't realize each option was dependent on the other until I was standing behind him telling him so. Of course, the interface of that system probably dates back to the '80s by the look of it....

Funniest part was the entire dealership knew nothing of COTUS. I kept pestering my salesman when I discovered an update, in the event that he might have more detailed info. He finally asked how I knew so much more about the order status than they did, so I eventually sent him links to COTUS. He was totally amazed, and grateful to boot since he could use it to update others that ordered vehicles.

My salesman joked when I went to pick up my car that the dealership should hire me. :lol:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You know, with the internet being so easily accessible at our fingertips today (literally), I don't understand how people can be so ignorant. It's purely choice...

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
To be fair there is an Ecoboost in the Ford Motor Company lineup that has 400 HP even..

Except it's in the Lincoln MKZ lol

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
This. Not to mention other aspects.

When I ordered my '15, I practically had to enter the order myself. The sequence to order a premium/premier trim/red interior was a stumbling block for the poor guy, he didn't realize each option was dependent on the other until I was standing behind him telling him so. Of course, the interface of that system probably dates back to the '80s by the look of it....

Funniest part was the entire dealership knew nothing of COTUS. I kept pestering my salesman when I discovered an update, in the event that he might have more detailed info. He finally asked how I knew so much more about the order status than they did, so I eventually sent him links to COTUS. He was totally amazed, and grateful to boot since he could use it to update others that ordered vehicles.

My salesman joked when I went to pick up my car that the dealership should hire me. :lol:
I got my drivers side Recaro seat to quit squeaking and the service dept manager offered me a job cause their "expert" couldn't get it after 2 trips to the dealer.

I too had to walk them through the process of ordering mine with certain options. They couldn't imagine me wanting PP and Recaros on a base GT.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
The salesman told me that my base gt has 6 piston breaks all around. I honestly hadn't done much research in the brake department to so i thought whatever sure. After looking at them I'm guessing the front brakes might be 6 pistons and the rear are like 2? Them rear brake are fairly tiny

Also when I went to get the oil changed in my car I walked across the street to the Chevy dealer which was a beautiful experience. The salesman tried to tell me that the new camaro makes 455 pounds of twerk. All I could think is damn that camaros got ass
Sponsored