Sponsored

Bought an 18 gt with 3.15, want 3.55

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
What all do I need? From what I can tell it’s a bit of a process.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
First, you'll need a qualified mechanic. Not a job for just anyone. Specialty tools like a dial indicator and base, inch lb torque wrench, etc. As far as parts go, gear set, pinion seal and crush sleeve, sealant, gear oil, brakleen and depending on current miles, bearing install kit.

OP
OP
drabon74

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
Is this a part that I should buy used or new? Looks like used around $539, new $900. Install of the complete takeout looks pretty simple compared to switching internals.

Chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Magnetic Gray A10, 401A, PP1.
If you plan to put a lot of horsepower to it, make sure you buy one with a cast iron housing. The auto cars have an aluminum housing that the front mounts break off. You may have to swap a manual driveshaft flange with an auto flange.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
If you plan to put a lot of horsepower to it, make sure you buy one with a cast iron housing. The auto cars have an aluminum housing that the front mounts break off. You may have to swap a manual driveshaft flange with an auto flange.
To his point you need to buy the automatic flange, I had to do that when I bought mine the manufacture for some reason only sends the whole differential with the manual flange.

OP
OP
drabon74

drabon74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium 401a
To his point you need to buy the automatic flange, I had to do that when I bought mine the manufacture for some reason only sends the whole differential with the manual flange.
Thanks. Any issues post install?

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind too that the carrier used for the 3.15 gear ratio is not interchangeable with other gear sets. You will also need the BCM flashed to whatever new gear ratio you chose.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Thanks. Any issues post install?
No problem, no issues so far. I will say you will notice a difference but imho not enough to warrant doing it. You shouldn't have any issues as long as you properly install it or have someone installs it for you. Also if you are buying the whole diff sometimes the differential fluid that comes with it will have leaked out and you will have to top it off with your own. I don't know how often this happens but just a reminder if it does.
Sponsored