Sponsored

Borla Atak Catback Review

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
So this is my very first car mod that I've ever done. I'm gonna try to put as much detail as possible.

Sound: It's deep in the very low RPM, and it gets aggressive sounding 3k+ RPM. It's very loud and definitely grabs people's attention when driving around town. It's hard to describe the tone but I'll try. It's got that high pitch sound like in the videos but it's also got a base undertone to it throughout the power band. It's got a bit of a purr going on, and there's a decent amount of crackle/gurgle on deceleration. It's deathly quiet in idle and cruising, though. You don't really hear it until you gas. I'm also experiencing absolutely zero drone. So far I've been told, "it sounds like a GTR", "it doesn't sound stupid like most exhausts, it sounds like a race car" and a lot of "sounds really good". Videos are like 70% accurate sounding in my opinion. I thought it was BS when everyone said their videos don't capture the low end but they really don't.

Cold Start and Idle:
[ame]

Revs:
[ame]

Window Down Town Driving:
[ame]

Window Up Town Driving:
[ame]

Lemme know if I can do anything else in terms of videos.

Quality: Borla knows their stuff. I got it shipped directly from them and it came packaged very well. No dings/dents, etc. Tips look great and fill out the space of the car.

Installation: Very smooth. Everything falls into place according to plan and for experienced people it shouldn't take more than an hour or two to install. It's a bit tight.

Value and Bottom Line: I'm completely satisfied with the system and definitely whole hardheartedly recommend it. It completely changes the driving experience of the car. I think the price is still very high, but you get what you pay for. I ordered through American Muscle on Black Friday and got a great deal.

Lemme know if you guys have any questions or requests.
Sponsored

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Great write up, sounds really good. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. You think you could do a drive by clip with hard acceleration?

Erfman93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erfahn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Package
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to exhausts. Some like raspy, so they don't find it "annoying", or "ricer". Others can't stand it. My friend has the atak axle back on his 3.7 and have herd it in person many times. Personally, I think it has a pretty balanced out tone between deep and high pitched. If you don't like rasp that much, DO NOT pair these up with an x pipe. My friend installed shorty headers and an x pipe, and it was way too damn high pitched.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Those streets look like a nightmare to me.

Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
[MENTION=11457]Bay1Stang[/MENTION]

Thanks for taking the time to write this up along with posting up so many videos. It's incredibly helpful for not only me but for the other members on board here!

Cold Start is down right awesome and at one point I heard some V8 in there!

Make sure to drop by the product page Right Here to submit a review when you have a few minutes.

Thanks again for your support and business this season and enjoy the windows down today!

Alex

OP
OP
Bay1Stang

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Great write up, sounds really good. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. You think you could do a drive by clip with hard acceleration?
I'll see what I can do about getting a drive by vid this weekend.

Personally, I think it has a pretty balanced out tone between deep and high pitched.
That's a great way of describing it. This exhaust obviously isn't going for a deep sound, although it does have a great deepness to it. Full-bodied, aggressive sound? Hard to describe in words!

Make sure to drop by the product page Right Here to submit a review when you have a few minutes.
I believe I did and it isn't showing up?

I think I've seen a video of a hellcat passing by those streets on YouTube
Haha that could be anywhere... this is NJ. It all looks exactly the same!

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6, Race Red, 051a, Auto, CAI: Roush
Thanks for awesome vidoes !! Did you get a chance to peek into Borla S-type axle back by an chance. I was planning to get axle backs on my V6 stang but wanted a deep rumbly grow if not V8 Sound atleast close to it.

And did you find any droning issues on these borla axle backs ?

racinreddy

P51 - MUSTANG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6, Race Red, 051a, Auto, CAI: Roush
I see that you have got s-type borla system on your car. Please can you post some videos of it as I am more inclined towards S-TYPE borla

Need suggestion on borla s-type axle back as I am planning to get one for my V6.

How different is Borla s-type AXLE BACK different from CAT BACK ?

Did you face any drone issue so far upon this installation.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bay1Stang

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Raicenreddy you've confused the hell out of me but I'll try to answer some of your questions. No, I don't have the S-type on my car. I don't think the S-Type exhaust is particularly going for a v8 growl. I think all of the borla systems have the same tone with different loudness? Could be wrong here.

I have zero drone.

The difference between the axle back and the cat back is that the stock mid muffler is still in place, and it's huge. Could be wrong but I think it will make the systems quieter versus the catback. The catback also have a mid muffler but they're much smaller. The ATAK mid muffler is I would say 30% the size of the stock one. The catback will save you some weight vs the axlebacks. Lastly, no cutting involved with the catback just direct bolt off and on. You have to cut off the stock mufflers to install the axleback.