Sponsored

BMR 763 springs and Steeda Pro Action non-adj. installed. Not happy need advice.

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I just installed BMR 763 min drop springs (its supercharged so the front is heavy), CB005 lockout and Steeda Non-Adjustable Pro Action shocks and struts. I asked both Steeda and BMR before purchase and both said they would match great.
The handling, predictability, turn in, etc performance wise is a massive improvement. One of the reasons I went with the linear BMR springs was predictability. Stock the car makes so much power it was dangerously unpredictable. Performance wise I'm very happy.
Ride quality is much worse than I anticipated. I don't mind the firm ride. It's the bouncy rear end I can't stand. Now the back of the car is almost always bouncing even at low speeds and on fairly smooth roads.
In hindsight I probably should have gone with the Steeda springs (assuming they are better matched to their shocks/struts). Or, got the adjustable shocks/struts. But, I dont know how much difference that would make.
Anyone have opinions or advice of what I can do to cure the bouncyness of the rear end?
Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed BMR 763 min drop springs (its supercharged so the front is heavy), CB005 lockout and Steeda Non-Adjustable Pro Action shocks and struts. I asked both Steeda and BMR before purchase and both said they would match great.
The handling, predictability, turn in, etc performance wise is a massive improvement. One of the reasons I went with the linear BMR springs was predictability. Stock the car makes so much power it was dangerously unpredictable. Performance wise I'm very happy.
Ride quality is much worse than I anticipated. I don't mind the firm ride. It's the bouncy rear end I can't stand. Now the back of the car is almost always bouncing even at low speeds and on fairly smooth roads.
In hindsight I probably should have gone with the Steeda springs (assuming they are better matched to their shocks/struts). Or, got the adjustable shocks/struts. But, I dont know how much difference that would make.
Anyone have opinions or advice of what I can do to cure the bouncyness of the rear end?
Had same issue on an old car, was the shocks causing this. It's really bad because that bounce unloads the suspension which gives you zero benefits. With high horsepower and rear bouncing, I would go easy on the throttle until this is resolved.

Edit: I would upgrade to an adjustable shock/strut if you are happy with springs. Sell the current shocks/struts to recoup cost.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Did you trim your rear bump stops? At curb you should have at least one inch before contact.
Steeda Tech

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd ask the same question SteedaTech did: did you trim your bumpstops? Those springs and dampers should definitely NOT be bouncy. Also, did you clock your bushings during the alignment?

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the SP763 spring two weeks ago. I did the springs, pp shocks/struts, Steeda alignment kit, and IRS brace. I had the bushings clocked and car aligned. Mine is not bouncy at all. Drives a little firmer than stock. Very predictable and got rid a lot of movement pushing the car in curves. Something doesn't sound right. Did you reindex the bushings and trim the bump stocks? That said I'm eyeing the Steeda rear shock mounts.

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Per the feedback above, let us know if this does the trick!

TJ

OP
OP
BFord1

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thank you all for the feedback it’s very helpful. I’m going to check to see if I have at least 1” before contact with the bump stops and will report back.
When I ordered the shocks I thought about getting the mounts too. At the time I just thought it was for the strength of the mount and since it’s a street car I didn’t think I’d break the stock mounts. Reading more about the shock mounts now I can understand how it would also help with the bounce.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Thank you all for the feedback it’s very helpful. I’m going to check to see if I have at least 1” before contact with the bump stops and will report back.
When I ordered the shocks I thought about getting the mounts too. At the time I just thought it was for the strength of the mount and since it’s a street car I didn’t think I’d break the stock mounts. Reading more about the shock mounts now I can understand how it would also help with the bounce.
any update? got a pic of your car with blower and min drop BMR springs?

OP
OP
BFord1

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've been out of town and just busy in general so I haven't had a chance to check the clearance on the bump stops yet. I haven't been quite as bothered by the bounce. Maybe the springs settled or maybe I am just getting more used to it. I did take a couple of quick pics.
2018-07-16 22.59.26.jpg
2018-07-16 22.59.40.jpg

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
What was your drop? Before vs After.

OP
OP
BFord1

BFord1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't get a chance to measure before and after. I do have a blower so it has more weight and is lower in the front. I do like the drop. I just have to figure out the bounce as soon as I have time to get under the car and get some rims. I am thinking about the R350 rims. Do you have pictures you can post?

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I didn't get a chance to measure before and after. I do have a blower so it has more weight and is lower in the front. I do like the drop. I just have to figure out the bounce as soon as I have time to get under the car and get some rims. I am thinking about the R350 rims. Do you have pictures you can post?
As stated above, solid chance it is your bumpstops. Pretty common when people have not trimmed them enough. Did you follow our instructions on the trimming amount?

Re-indexing the bushings can also help. Not all cars are the same, but if your car sat a little higher in stock form / or dropped more than the average drop with the springs you can get some inconsistency that stems from the bushings having to much preload in them.

Keep us udpated.
Sponsored