Sponsored

Better speakers

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I am looking to replace the front door speakers a d a pillar tweeters on my 15 GT.

I had an 09 CS before this and the shaker 500 system that came in that one had great midrange that I would like to duplicate while also improve the clarity.

I would prefer to not replace the head unit or add an amp but would if needed.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Afaik the only option to replace front speakers without getting an aftermarket amp is Powerbass. They make a pair of speakers that match the factory speakers impedance of 2 ohm. Imo, Almost all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms and you'll need an amp driving them

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Ecoboost Convertible - Kona Blue
Afaik the only option to replace front speakers without getting an aftermarket amp is Powerbass. They make a pair of speakers that match the factory speakers impedance of 2 ohm. Imo, Almost all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms and you'll need an amp driving them
I can vouch for the Powerbass speakers. I swapped in their 6.5 components on my doors and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. Huge improvement without needing to upgrade the amp.

OP
OP

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I can vouch for the Powerbass speakers. I swapped in their 6.5 components on my doors and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. Huge improvement without needing to upgrade the amp.
I'll give those a look too

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Definitely do! I didn't end up using the tweeters that came with the 6.5 component ones since that would be tweeter overkill and the factory tweeters are 8 ohm (the PBs are 2 ohm). Since the doors on the 12 speaker system are components, going with a component 6.5 for the midbass and 3.5 coax for the highs/mids was just right. I prefer the stereo separation much more this way too, as it brings the soundstage away from the windshield and more left/right of the seats, even with the center channel being retained. Really mostly vocals come from the center, which I actually like.

Definitely check the impedance of your 2015 though OP. I'm not sure your speaker config (6, 9, 12 speakers) and Ford likes to just mix up ohms at will every year.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I also bought power bass complement 6.5 2ohm and only used the door Lower. Tossed the tweeters in trash

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I also bought power bass complement 6.5 2ohm and only used the door Lower. Tossed the tweeters in trash
I saved mine. Considering putting them up for sale in case anyone wants some new tweeters to toss in for fun. I'd probably sell the set for $25 or so and call it a day.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Powerbass L26C component set. Use the capacitor from the factory tweets with the PB tweets - sounds better than factory tweets IMO. Infinity 3.5s with tweeter wire cut - Tried it with the tweeters connected and no factory tweeter but I prefer the a pillar tweeter over the coaxial tweeter. I tried several other different aftermarket a pillar tweeters and they were all too harsh. Even with the factory capacitor. I also tried several different aftermarket 6.5 door speakers, Powerbass were definitely the best. Disconnect center channel - Again, I tried upgrading it But just disconnecting it was far better than any upgrade. Overall better than stock, but still lacking in clarity in my opinion. I don’t think you can really improve things dramatically without adding an amp and DSP. Also, if you have an already tried it, tried driver occupancy mode instead of all seats. In my opinion driver greatly improve the sound quality and separation.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Powerbass L26C component set. Use the capacitor from the factory tweets with the PB tweets - sounds better than factory tweets IMO. Infinity 3.5s with tweeter wire cut - Tried it with the tweeters connected and no factory tweeter but I prefer the a pillar tweeter over the coaxial tweeter. I tried several other different aftermarket a pillar tweeters and they were all too harsh. Even with the factory capacitor. Disconnect center channel. Overall better than stock, but still lacking in clarity in my opinion. I don’t think you can really improve things dramatically without adding an amp and DSP.
I feel like the infinity coaxs in the doors and center channel (hell, I bought the center channel from you!) gave plenty of clarity without the a-pillar tweeters connected at all. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, Rash.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Since the tweeters are 2ohm and stocks 8ohm

I don’t want piercingly loud tweeters blowing my hearing.

Wish someone made 8ohm silk tweeters I’d buy them

Sponsored

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
I feel like the infinity coaxs in the doors and center channel (hell, I bought the center channel from you!) gave plenty of clarity without the a-pillar tweeters connected at all. Different strokes for different folks I suppose, Rash.
Absolutely. I definitely require more treble as I have some slight hearing loss from playing guitar all my life.

Hilfloskind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely. I definitely require more treble as I have some slight hearing loss from playing guitar all my life.
Definitely understand completely! I also played guitar in a few touring bands in my teens/twenties, so I've got some hearing issues as well. The worst part for me is I cannot read lips for some odd reason. Makes conversations awkward in loud environments like bars and clubs because I can't always make out what people are saying to me.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a parts express down the road, those tweeters, none of the ones I saw looked like there's anyway to fit them. just wish there was a way to order 8 ohm car fitting tweeters.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I have a parts express down the road, those tweeters, none of the ones I saw looked like there's anyway to fit them. just wish there was a way to order 8 ohm car fitting tweeters.
I had to do some minor Dremel work to get my Morel tweeters to fit, it it really was not bad. Probably a 15 minute job.
38094BCA-11CE-473C-995E-9CFA40E8E0C4.jpeg
EC227863-ECF6-4E22-9EBC-9834322CFC78.jpeg
Sponsored