HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In the future I will stop for those 2-lane "see water run uphill" attractions because something as unbelievable happens in my kitchen.

I decided to replace the water filter in my refrigerator for the first time. Immediately, the water dispenser started dripping water at a slowly decreasing rate for about 24 hours. Since it stopped, it wasn't a coincidental simultaneous failure of the dispenser.

Despite the filter not possibly having any effect on the downstream dispenser, since it was the only thing that changed, I wasted time reinstalling the factory filter and then installing the other new filter (bought a pair). Each time the dispenser dripped (decreasing rate) for about 24 hours. So I removed the filter and......... the dispenser dripped for about 24 hours at a decreasing rate. Put the first new filter back and the same thing. Once the dispenser stopped dripping, it hasn't dripped once in the week since.

Even if the dispenser lever is a fly-by-wire that opens a valve where the filter is installed (I doubt), I can't imagine any scenario when this would happen.

Am I haunted?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does the dispenser also dispense ice? Could be that ice was stuck in the dispenser and gradually melted.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Does the dispenser also dispense ice? Could be that ice was stuck in the dispenser and gradually melted.
Good thought. But the ice comes out a different place. The water dispenser is like a metal straw and the drips would come from that. I could watch the drips forming and eventually fall.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would say the solenoid valve for the dispenser requires full water pressure to stay closed and make a good seal. When you changed the filters, the water was shut off. Once the water pressure in the line returned to normal, and air in the lines has been purged, the seals are able to fully close.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I would say the solenoid valve for the dispenser requires full water pressure to stay closed and make a good seal. When you changed the filters, the water was shut off. Once the water pressure in the line returned to normal, and air in the lines has been purged, the seals are able to fully close.
That makes sense up to the part about the drip that tapers off slowly for close to a day.

Change subject: if I didn't say it before, I'm pretty sure the filter is not a factor since behavior is identical even with no filter in place (drip for about a day). So logic tells me it has something to do with removing water pressure temporarily. I just can't imagine just how that can cause a decreasing drip for so long. Or any other side effect that lasts more than seconds or minutes.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hydrostatic pressure
Okay, but just how does hydrostatic pressure cause that behavior. Going a level down that ladder, I'm sure physics has something to do with it but HOW?

Don't tease me if you know. LoL

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
That makes sense up to the part about the drip that tapers off slowly for close to a day.

Change subject: if I didn't say it before, I'm pretty sure the filter is not a factor since behavior is identical even with no filter in place (drip for about a day). So logic tells me it has something to do with removing water pressure temporarily. I just can't imagine just how that can cause a decreasing drip for so long. Or any other side effect that lasts more than seconds or minutes.
Most solenoid valves have a Viton or EPDM rubber diaphragm seal. I'm guessing once the pressure is released, it takes yours long time for it to re-seat itself completely. When you operate the dispenser normally under full pressure, it pretty much pops open to dispense water and slams completely shut once turned off. I know it's strange behavior but that's my theory based on my experience with these valves. You're fridge is not haunted sorry. :)

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Most solenoid valves have a Viton or EPDM rubber diaphragm seal. I'm guessing once the pressure is released, it takes yours long time for it to re-seat itself completely. When you operate the dispenser normally under full pressure, it pretty much pops open to dispense water and slams completely shut once turned off. I know it's strange behavior but that's my theory based on my experience with these valves. You're fridge is not haunted sorry. :)
Sounds like that could be it.

Someone I know said their wife worked for Sears and says they got LOTS of calls about this exact behavior after changing filters which I think would more accurately be described as after removing and restoring water pressure. Different model/brands than I have but they all may use similar/identical components.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I don't know, but water amazes me and what it does. Even in a vapor it can cause issues. I do know that movement of any liquid affects pressure in many other areas and with the sensitivity of new technology combined with I don't know. Well I'm lost
Sponsored