Sponsored

Best wheels that are good performance wise but budget friendly

Sir_levy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang v6
Want to see which wheel will look good but give good performance and are budget friendly. I know it's a lot to ask but I'd like to see if anyone can give me some good suggestions. 20" is what I'm looking for.
Sponsored

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
"Performance" from a wheel perspective is VERY subjective.

Weight is the most common thing people refer when looking for wheels, as unsprung weight forces the suspension to work harder, which changes the way the car ride and handles. The weight of a wheel also impacts acceleration, grip, and braking. One last aspect of wheel weight is where wheel mass is concentrated. Non-forged wheels have cast aluminum barrels which requires more metal for strength, while flow or rotary forged wheels allow the barrels to be much thinner, thus lowering weight in the most important part of the wheel (think ice skater spinning on ice with arms out vs arms in). Lastly, a complex wheel design that has more metal in the wheel design, or more metal closer to barrel or wheel lip for a design element, creates additional centripetal effect, which impacts acceleration and deceleration of your car.

Offset is another aspect of wheels many look for, as widening the track of each axle increases stability, but impacts other dynamics of a vehicle such as roll center. Pushing the wheels out to the edge also improves the looks. Higher offsets usually let you run a wider wheel and tire too, as the factory wheel offsets and width already place the wheel/tire pretty close to the front strut assembly.

In the end, you're going to need to spend $300+ per wheel to get a wheel that is forged and lightweight to achieve a "Performance" result with your car.

Last edited:

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Look at RTR's new rotary forged wheel or the MRR350 wheels. Make sure to get good rubber as well. I would go 19" as they are lighter and will be a smoother ride.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Sorry...."performance" and 20" don't go together...

That being said, since you have a v6 and smaller brakes...something like the TSW Interlagos or Nurburgring in 18x8 would do you well.

Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
You can get a performance wheel and a 20" wheel however it would need to be rotory forged so you can decrease the rotational mass of the wheels, the pricing depending on the model can be very acceptable. All depends on what your after.

Let me know if I can help you out.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Thought ID provide a few options here for you guys !

Forgestar wheels

F14

CF10

CF5V

Project 6GR

Sponsored