aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Hi guys

I'm looking for the best setup that will handle drag applications while also providing a good fitment.

I currently have BMR SP080s (1.25"/0.5" drops) with 20x10/11 (+35/+50) wheels on a staggered 285/30 and 305/35 tire setup.

What's an issue in my mind:
1. The rear tire is much taller than the rear. Looks goofy.
2. The rear fender gap is a too large (front looks decent).
3. My current spring/shock setup isn't ideal for strip/street use.

Is there a recommended setup that will allow me to close up the rear fender gap while maintaining some functionality for launching? If coilovers are my only option, that's fine. Any recommendations?

Or if a different set of rear springs is my answer, I'm not opposed to that idea. It would have to lower the car a bit more than the BMRs.

This is the current stance
A7237DDB-44D9-4F7D-9862-027AC7A5223E.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad the days of using fox body 4 cylinder springs for lowering/drag springs are gone.

Anyway, I suggest balancing your tires first and then reassess your stance. Get a 285/35 for the front or a 305/30 for the rear. 35 series will obviously fill your wheel wells more.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Too bad the days of using fox body 4 cylinder springs for lowering/drag springs are gone.

Anyway, I suggest balancing your tires first and then reassess your stance. Get a 285/35 for the front or a 305/30 for the rear. 35 series will obviously fill your wheel wells more.
I spoke with BMR's tech Dion and he suggested the same thing. I was always worried about rubbing with a 275/35 in the front but apparently many people are running that size with the same wheels and springs.

I'll try out that tire size here soon and then we'll see what the gap in the front looks like relative to the rear.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Are you worried about the gap in the front or the back? If it is the front it is because the wheel well is larger to accommodate turning.

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Are you worried about the gap in the front or the back? If it is the front it is because the wheel well is larger to accommodate turning.
Kind of both actually.

I was worried the front would rub with 275/35/20 tires, 1.25" drop, and added blower weight. People are saying I should be fine so I'll give it a shot.

What concerns me about the rear is how large the gap would seem if I went to a 275/35 in the front (the rear has like a 2 finger gap while the front would close up to nearly a 0.5 finger gap). Right now with the 285/30, the gap is about even front to back, but it looks a bit goofy since the overall tire diameters are so different. A lot of this is caused by the very uneven drop BMR uses (1.25" front / 0.5" rear), but I know that drop is functionally ideal.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
For drag you definitely want the Viking coil over set up on the front with the Viking shocks on the rear along with the rear drag Springs

We've run this personally and installed on dozens and dozens and sold hundreds of these setups most proven set up out there

Feel free to help me with any questions

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I use. Steeda rear-adjustable ride-height kit. Works great and can adjust your rear ride height to whatever tires you use so it always sits perfectly how you like it. I have mine set slightly higher in the rear for when I swap 305/45/17 ET Street Rs on for the strip.

I also have the Steeda Pro-Action coilovers on the front with 225# springs. My front is on the lowest possible setting allowed 2+ inch drop.
555-8171-12.jpg

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This is what I use. Steeda rear-adjustable ride-height kit. Works great and can adjust your rear ride height to whatever tires you use so it always sits perfectly how you like it. I have mine set slightly higher in the rear for when I swap 305/45/17 ET Street Rs on for the strip.

I also have the Steeda Pro-Action coilovers on the front with 225# springs. My front is on the lowest possible setting allowed 2+ inch drop.
555-8171-12.jpg
Do you know what rear springs come with the kit? Also this might not be a bad idea, paired with some viking crusader shocks.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what rear springs come with the kit? Also this might not be a bad idea, paired with some viking crusader shocks.
I believe they are 850-1000 progressive rate. I use the Steeda Pro-Action adjustables shocks on the rear. Supposedly the Steeda drag car uses the same setup but with 125# springs up front. Not sure what settings on the struts/shocks but it will be trial/error on my car once I finally get to the strip this fall.
Sponsored