Sponsored

Best Resonator to Remove Drone but Keep Sound? Or a Valve Solution?

OP
OP

blueskies925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (manual)
Thank you all for the replies! So I got my local muffler shop to quote me $150 to install 2 J pipes for the drone, worth it? Scheduled for tomorrow!
Sponsored

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thank you all for the replies! So I got my local muffler shop to quote me $150 to install 2 J pipes for the drone, worth it? Scheduled for tomorrow!
Be sure to let us know!

Sponsored

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Sorry I don't have dimensions yet, not until I get it on a lift, but here's the best pics I can do right now:
IMG_4192.jpg
IMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4195.jpg
where would i place the J on a system with mufflers while everything else is straight through (i.e catless headers)

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
where would i place the J on a system with mufflers while everything else is straight through (i.e catless headers)
Really the only place you can put them and not have a lower than frame point is in the rear. You will probably need to weld them perpendicular or get a little creative. Tons of pix on the net on how to do this.

greg45p

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt PP1 Premium
The magnapacks 4 inch were too low tone, sort of "dead" for my taste.

Gibson mwa? Sounded tinny, and like a bunch of angry bees on meth, which is cool but wasn't for me.

12 bottle and ultra quiet sounded the same. Both lowered some rasp, ultra quiet reduced 4-6db total volume. I don't think they charged the over all sound, just a hint of volume. I went with the ultra quiet for now. I thought they would sound more "exotic" still sound 'merica to me. Id like a touch more refinement and a little less rasp.

I am waiting on the borla xr1 and xs to be delivered.

I didn't check highway drone yet, Cleveland roads are currently made from salt.

That sounds really good, did you change it?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
That sounds really good, did you change it?
That's where I'm still at. I'll probably replace it, but for now I don't think ill get 1k worth of better sound for 1k dollars of new cat back.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Does it matter how long the J pipe is? Or would any old J Pipe work? Headers and Roush AB is brutal.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does it matter how long the J pipe is? Or would any old J Pipe work? Headers and Roush AB is brutal.
Do u still have factory resonator?
Interested in Magnaflow modular option. Probably will cost like 3k though

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
The length of the J-pipe determines the sound frequencies that will be cancelled out, there is some science and calculation involved. I had NXT axle backs that have a similar construction to the Roush and had terrible booming drone around 1800-2200 rpm. Tried an X-pipe, H-pipe, factory center resonator, and the Magnaflow Tru-X resonated X-pipe, and none of them helped with the drone. The factory and Magnaflow resonators eliminated harshness but not booming drone. I replaced the NXT axle backs with the LTH Scorpion axle backs, which have J-pipes, and reinstalled the factory resonator, and am very satisfied with the sound now. Quiet when you want, loud when you punch it, very little booming drone, very easy to cruise around town with.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
The length of the J-pipe determines the sound frequencies that will be cancelled out, there is some science and calculation involved. I had NXT axle backs that have a similar construction to the Roush and had terrible booming drone around 1800-2200 rpm. Tried an X-pipe, H-pipe, factory center resonator, and the Magnaflow Tru-X resonated X-pipe, and none of them helped with the drone. The factory and Magnaflow resonators eliminated harshness but not booming drone. I replaced the NXT axle backs with the LTH Scorpion axle backs, which have J-pipes, and reinstalled the factory resonator, and am very satisfied with the sound now. Quiet when you want, loud when you punch it, very little booming drone, very easy to cruise around town with.
Science and math aren't my strong suit, but I'd be willing to give it a shot. My current setup sounds menacing, but the drone is just killer.

CedarTree72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB, A10, Droptop
For an ecoboost, what would be a typical suggested length if drone is worst at around 1600 RPM? And how would you set it up so that the length is (temporarily) adjustable so I can tweak it before welding the cap? Thanks!
Sponsored