Sponsored

Best Resonator to Remove Drone but Keep Sound? Or a Valve Solution?

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Ford Flex Ecoboost, 2013 Focus ST, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
I'm experimenting tomorrow, this is the vibrant ultra quiet. I also have 12 bottle resonators if the ultra quiet is too quiet.

I have an h pipe with 12 inch resonators and muffler delete now. Too much drone and cold starts have gotten old.
20200227_155921.jpg
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm experimenting tomorrow, this is the vibrant ultra quiet. I also have 12 bottle resonators if the ultra quiet is too quiet.

I have an h pipe with 12 inch resonators and muffler delete now. Too much drone and cold starts have gotten old.
20200227_155921.jpg
1/4 wave resonators are the way to eliminate drone without eliminating volume. Big mufflers with lots of packing do both.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
1/4 wave resonators are the way to eliminate drone without eliminating volume. Big mufflers with lots of packing do both.
I also want some volume and rasp gone too. I can weld this, my skills end about there!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Hope it works out for you.
Thanks. I think it will. Bottle resonators in the h pipe cut 75+percent of the drone. Its only 6th gear highway cruising now, and liveable.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

20200227_155921.jpg
I'd throw some packing at that, it looks like a mini roush muffler. it's probably too late to screen the other side to keep the packing in there, probably should have gotten a chambered muffer but lets see his results...

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I'd throw some packing at that, it looks like a mini roush muffler. it's probably too late to screen the other side to keep the packing in there, probably should have gotten a chambered muffer but lets see his results...
Nothing is welded yet. Those are vibrant resonators, the biggest they make. I'm also trying Magna flow 10416, and vibrant 12 inch bottle resonators. They have 198, 121, and 98 cubic inches of dampening.

I'm going to clamp up, drive around, swap replete then weld the winner.

I'm currently muffler delete, but there were flowmaster super 10s and with my h pipe with 12 resonators there's nearly no drone. Just looking to quiet up/reduce rasp.

Any reason to think a resonator would add drone?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Nothing is welded yet. Those are vibrant resonators, the biggest they make. I'm also trying Magna flow 10416, and vibrant 12 inch bottle resonators. They have 198, 121, and 98 cubic inches of dampening.

I'm going to clamp up, drive around, swap replete then weld the winner.

I'm currently muffler delete, but there were flowmaster super 10s and with my h pipe with 12 resonators there's nearly no drone. Just looking to quiet up/reduce rasp.

Any reason to think a resonator would add drone?
resonators reduce resonate frequencies, nothing for volume of exhaust why i mentioned packing

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
resonators reduce resonate frequencies, nothing for volume of exhaust why i mentioned packing
Ah. Its been my experience they reduce the volume a bit, the 12 resonators reduced 6-8 db on this car, 18s did 8-10 on my twin turbo flex. So we will see.

I've got my db reader for science!

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ah. Its been my experience they reduce the volume a bit, the 12 resonators reduced 6-8 db on this car, 18s did 8-10 on my twin turbo flex. So we will see.

Well yea if you make exhaust travel through something that long designed to reflect harmonic frequencies, you will get a reduction, 8 db isn't bad but imagine if you made it travel through a muffler of the same size, it would likely be much larger sound attenuation and depended on if it's chambered and/or baffled, it would even get rid of drone. Obviously we all like free flowing for the power, but the trade off is the noise.

I'm actually surprised about the Flex, that thing should be really quiet because of the turbos, what kind of exhaust you have on that?

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

post up a video when you finish

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Well yea if you make exhaust travel through something that long designed to reflect harmonic frequencies, you will get a reduction, 8 db isn't bad but imagine if you made it travel through a muffler of the same size, it would likely be much larger sound attenuation and depended on if it's chambered and/or baffled, it would even get rid of drone. Obviously we all like free flowing for the power, but the trade off is the noise.

I'm actually surprised about the Flex, that thing should be really quiet because of the turbos, what kind of exhaust you have on that?
Dual 2.5, ppe downpipes, 18 inch resonator per side offset by 34 inches

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dual 2.5, ppe downpipes, 18 inch resonator per side offset by 34 inches

Nice, it does sound similar to other 3.5s with some boltons, still it's not too loud, turbos really do a good job of limiting exhaust noise, it's like a sponge soaking up most of the noise from the exhaust pulses. Post up pix of your setup when your done, do you have LTH or anything else just catback?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bottle resonators do reduce peak dB some and tonal harshness. They mostly target higher frequency sound, not the low frequencies that produce drone. It's not a big change but definitely enough to be noticeable and measurable.

Wittbrij

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
The magnapacks 4 inch were too low tone, sort of "dead" for my taste.

Gibson mwa? Sounded tinny, and like a bunch of angry bees on meth, which is cool but wasn't for me.

12 bottle and ultra quiet sounded the same. Both lowered some rasp, ultra quiet reduced 4-6db total volume. I don't think they charged the over all sound, just a hint of volume. I went with the ultra quiet for now. I thought they would sound more "exotic" still sound 'merica to me. Id like a touch more refinement and a little less rasp.

I am waiting on the borla xr1 and xs to be delivered.

I didn't check highway drone yet, Cleveland roads are currently made from salt.

Sponsored