Sponsored

Best place to hide GPS tracker and get 12V and ACC

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
There have been a number of security videos that have surfaced recently where someone uses some kind of radio scanner to scan the frequency/codes needed to gain access to a key fob vehicle. Then a repeater is used and the car thinks the car fob is in the car and starts the car. Thieves drive off in the car.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is LoJack still a thing?

That said, good insurance (AAA with only a $500 deductible is the way to go - don't get Allstate, Mercury, Infinity, etc.) is the best way to go.

Yes, it’s still around and has been improved over the years.

I had it installed in my prior 96 Cobra. In NJ for having such a device installed, the vehicle owner can get the max allowable discount of 25% off the comprehensive portion of their auto policy annually. It’s a decent savings and I recommend LoJack to anyone seeking a recovery/tracker system. It’s also transferable to the next buyer of the vehicle, so it’s a good selling pint.

LoJack is also only installed by appointment, by a certified LoJack employee - the selling Dealership and most “alarm” shops cannot install the device, because the whole purpose is to keep the location of the hidden tracker a secret... the vehicle owner does not know and is never told where the unit was placed within the vehicle. All I was told is that each and every install is unique.

So if anyone is contemplating getting such a device for their vehicles - call your Insurance Co. and ask if there is an available discount if you buy and have it installed.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
My job is to tech support a key programmer that locksmith use for programming keys. Adding a key with a working key isn’t that bad but still not easy. Lost key situation it’s hard AF to add a key and my company just released a solution a few months ago that to bypass the security requires about 10 mins with the battery pulled and other hoops to jump through. Another words it’s very difficult to “steal” your car. And if anyone has the means to take it because they are “pros” then a LoJack device or gps isn’t really going to matter. Have insurance to cover it and sleep a lot easier.. also since you have a premium, the FordPass app keeps last known location updated regularly.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys. Thanks for your click.

I recently bought a ST 901 GPS tracker. It works well when tested. Data is reported via GPRS. Update interval is 15 seconds when ACC on, 300 seconds when ACC is off(simulated with 12V DC power).

Here comes the question. Where should I hide the GPS tracker? Some requirements are:
- Must have enough space to fit in a 2in x 4in x 1in tracker
- Must have constant 12V and ground
- Must have ACC(the car turned on signal)

Do you guys have any good idea?

----

One way is to get whatever I need from the fuse box. But I cannot come up with a easy way to connect to it cause they are designed to work with fuse. Or is there a thing called fuse extends?

Needs to be in a fairly inaccessible spot and wired in to appear stock, reason is to have the longest time to be transmitting before it’s found. The LoJack in my E350 box truck was in the windshield pillar and no matter how you looked at the wiring you couldn’t tell where it was connected. I also had it in my 24’ enclosed trailer mounted in the frame.
One of the best anti theft things I did when I lived in San Antonio is buy a Blue magnetic base strobe light like the police use, cut the cord off and set it between the seats in plane view, lol! Worked great.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There have been a number of security videos that have surfaced recently where someone uses some kind of radio scanner to scan the frequency/codes needed to gain access to a key fob vehicle. Then a repeater is used and the car thinks the car fob is in the car and starts the car. Thieves drive off in the car.
And yet, do we have a single example of that happening to anyone's vehicle here?

This paranoia is understandable, but it's just emotions and not facts. I've been a member of a few Mustang forums for the last 7 years, and there's only been 1 stolen Mustang, and that one was stolen out of a dealership in Australia, in an inside job.

These cars aren't stolen, the security systems work very well. Let's all just relax and ease off the paranoia.

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
And yet, do we have a single example of that happening to anyone's vehicle here?

This paranoia is understandable, but it's just emotions and not facts. I've been a member of a few Mustang forums for the last 7 years, and there's only been 1 stolen Mustang, and that one was stolen out of a dealership in Australia, in an inside job.

These cars aren't stolen, the security systems work very well. Let's all just relax and ease off the paranoia.

Truth! People see this kind of thing in the movies and think it’s real or common enough for a car thief to invest in..........

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just want to point out it is pretty common in big cities, hack key makes a extender for less then 20$. SARA (Signal Amplification Relay Attack) isn’t that uncommon in big city with people that know what they are doing. Most will only extend good enough to unlock, usually not powerful enough to start the vehicle once inside. Still it’s harder to add a key/prox then the earlier PATS that was easily bypassed and added in less then 30 seconds.

just wanted to make clear alibaba and 20$ and you can unlock car doors walking down the street depending on where someone stores their prox in the house
Sponsored