Sponsored

Best mods to start waking up my V6 Batmobile

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
Hi,

I am a new Mustang owner and new to the forums. I have a 2015 V6 Mustang in black w/ manual transmission, I call it the Batmobile. Not a gearhead but since this is my first Mustang I would love to get to know a bit about my car and some possible mods to get the best out of it.

I've been contemplating on getting the Roush Axle-Back Exhaust. I've seen videos of it and it sounded great on the V6. It is also not too expensive unlike some of the other exhausts I've seen. Would love to know what you guys think and for any other helpful tips to look out for? Thanks
I would recommend the Roush Axle-Backs as well. But I'm not sure where you're getting your prices from, because everywhere I looked the Roush ABs were the most expensive!

My first mod was the ABs, then I did the air intake. Now I'm considering doing an upgrade on Gear Ratio to 3:55 when I save up some more money. I knew I should've picked this option when ordering, but oh well!

If you do decide to go with Roush Axle-Backs, I would definitely recommend that you upgrade the air intake as well. While the Roush Axle-Backs sound effing awesome, one of the issues with them is they tend to drown out the engine noise a little bit (they are LOUD!) inside the cabin. Replacing the air intake helps with balancing the sound so you hear the roar of the engine as well as the sound of the exhaust.

I don't like quiet cars. :)

I think the roush axle backs sound the best on the V6 but that is always subjective, best bet it to watch videos and go from there.
They really sound even better than the videos.

I remember after installation when I first turned on the car, I yelled "Holy shit!" and I couldn't stop grinning for the entire 1 hour long drive from the body shop to home.
Sponsored

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Don't worry about this guy. He is just angry he bought an inferior car and is taking his hate on the forum. I feel bad for him honestly.
Actually I had a $2000 cash deposit on a 2015 Ecoboost back in August but changed my mind after I realized I didn't prefer Fords front end styling so much.
Why can't I express a negative opinion about loud V6 exhausts? This is positive comments only? I didn't get the memo.
There are some exhausts other than V8's, V12's etc that sound very nice...Subarus WRX, A Suzuki Hyabusa 4 cyl, A Porsche 911.... I'm sorry but not a Mustang V6, not a Ecoboost. If I can close my eyes when it drives by and it sounds like something rusted and fell off the car?
I would own and drive a 2015 V6 any day. No hate there. I wouldn't let everyone else have to hear it though.
Please re-send the memo about how you're not allowed to post or have opinions about other Mustang models besides the one you currently own.

Waylap1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Don't worry about this guy. He is just angry he bought an inferior car and is taking his hate on the forum. I feel bad for him honestly.
Actually I had a $2000 cash deposit on a 2015 Ecoboost back in August but changed my mind after I realized I didn't prefer Fords front end styling so much.
Why can't I express a negative opinion about loud V6 exhausts? This is positive comments only? I didn't get the memo.
There are some exhausts other than V8's, V12's etc that sound very nice...Subarus WRX, A Suzuki Hyabusa 4 cyl, A Porsche 911.... I'm sorry but not a Mustang V6, not a Ecoboost. If I can close my eyes when it drives by and it sounds like something rusted and fell off the car?
I would own and drive a 2015 V6 any day. No hate there. I wouldn't let everyone else have to hear it though.
Please re-send the memo about how you're not allowed to post or have opinions about other Mustang models besides the one you currently own.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Opinions are welcome. Respect is also welcome.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I would recommend the Roush Axle-Backs as well. But I'm not sure where you're getting your prices from, because everywhere I looked the Roush ABs were the most expensive!

My first mod was the ABs, then I did the air intake. Now I'm considering doing an upgrade on Gear Ratio to 3:55 when I save up some more money. I knew I should've picked this option when ordering, but oh well!

If you do decide to go with Roush Axle-Backs, I would definitely recommend that you upgrade the air intake as well. While the Roush Axle-Backs sound effing awesome, one of the issues with them is they tend to drown out the engine noise a little bit (they are LOUD!) inside the cabin. Replacing the air intake helps with balancing the sound so you hear the roar of the engine as well as the sound of the exhaust.

I don't like quiet cars. :)

They really sound even better than the videos.

I remember after installation when I first turned on the car, I yelled "Holy shit!" and I couldn't stop grinning for the entire 1 hour long drive from the body shop to home.
I experienced the same thing, when I pulled out of the exhaust shop parking lot I don't think I've ever been so happy before haha. I said a curse word as well but I don't remember what is was! What a ride home that was. I was going to get the roush exhaust on my 14 before I traded it in, for some reason they just sound good on the mustang no matter the engine. They also look good as well, worth the money.

Sponsored

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
^ Wait just a minute! You mean to tell me that "the hunteroo" has the Roush axle backs on his GT? If a "wit" on this forum as renowned as "the hunteroo" has this system, then I need to check these out a little closer because they must be worth buying.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Anything sounds good on a GT though, hell even cherry bombs sound good on one.

Rough Hollow Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible
^ so very true. Years ago when I lived out in the country, I took my mufflers off of my 4.6 Stang and rode down country rodes to scare the cattle. Young people do crazy shit. Lol.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Here's a little idea of what a bolt-on 3.7 can do. This guy and his father had the two fastest N/A 3.7s in the nation for a while..

[ame]

V6_Mustang_2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang v6 3.55 diff
Not my idea of a nice sound. That's like putting Flowmasters on a Taurus. Some cars are meant to be quiet.
If your car sounds like something is broken or has fallen off with an aftermarket exhaust...well. If you've got a car with an aftermarket exhaust and drive by my house and I can't see what it is and couldn't tell you if it was a Dodge Caravan with a rusted muffler or a brand spanking new Mustang V6, then....
Might as well put on some bright red fake caliper covers too, because race car.
Dumbest comment I've seen yet, it doesn't sound like an exhaust leak, it sounds mean and amazing for a v6, second if you don't like sound chances are your not a car guy....

Sponsored

samyang1120

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samual
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang v6
hi,
i personally have Roush Axle Back, and it does sound great. (Especially around 3000RPM )
However, you should be ready for tiny drone in around 1600 to 2000 RPM.

filmamigo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang V6 fastback
I put Roush Axle Backs on my 2012 V6. Sounded AMAZING under heavy acceleration, cruising above 3000, and under engine braking. Unfortunately I had an automatic transmission which meant the engine stayed between 1600 and 1800 when cruising on the highway. At that exact rev, they droned like crazy. I drove to Chicago and had such a headache I took them off the car when I got home.

Manual transmission should be a much better match -- you can play the musical notes of your exhaust with your go-faster foot :-)

For now, I'm ok with the factory exhaust (it's not as silent as the S197 cars.) But I think this time I would put on Ford Racing/Borla Touring. They seem to give a nice rumble without the drone. But I'm probably being an old man :-D

RemoteSenses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 RR
I put Roush Axle Backs on my 2012 V6. Sounded AMAZING under heavy acceleration, cruising above 3000, and under engine braking. Unfortunately I had an automatic transmission which meant the engine stayed between 1600 and 1800 when cruising on the highway. At that exact rev, they droned like crazy. I drove to Chicago and had such a headache I took them off the car when I got home.

Manual transmission should be a much better match -- you can play the musical notes of your exhaust with your go-faster foot :-)

For now, I'm ok with the factory exhaust (it's not as silent as the S197 cars.) But I think this time I would put on Ford Racing/Borla Touring. They seem to give a nice rumble without the drone. But I'm probably being an old man :-D
I have an auto V6 as well. Roush Axlebacks. No drone honestly.

Starting to wonder where the discrepancies come from. I totally believe you its just strange that some have drone and others don't.

Zeenobit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang 3.7L V6
... and under engine braking ...
Oh yah, I forgot about that. I never realized engine braking could be this much fun until I first heard the growl of the Roush ABs during one. It sounds so menacing.
Sponsored