Sponsored

Best exhaust setup for being louder at low rpms and idle? Already have a roush AB

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
So I made a similar topic about 2 years ago, but held off to see if I would still like the roush. A lot of the time it's actually not loud enough. Sure it'll scream at 4000rpm+ but at idle and low, it's not COMPLETELY doing it for me. It still is great bang for buck.

On that note, what is best bet to increase volume at idle and low. I'm guessing a deeper note is better? In that case, H pipe? Or is there some catback system that would meet my needs instead.
Sponsored

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
So I made a similar topic about 2 years ago, but held off to see if I would still like the roush. A lot of the time it's actually not loud enough. Sure it'll scream at 4000rpm+ but at idle and low, it's not COMPLETELY doing it for me. It still is great bang for buck.

On that note, what is best bet to increase volume at idle and low. I'm guessing a deeper note is better? In that case, H pipe? Or is there some catback system that would meet my needs instead.

Get an h pipe. Your car will sound the way it's suppose to

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Do you have an X pipe on it now? Roush is one of the louder mufflers made for the 5.0, so I'm not sure if going to another axle back will really help with the idle sound. Getting headers or taking the cats off would probably help. If you don't already have a resonator delete, that will help as well. I run an X pipe on mine. Deleting the resonator increased the sound significantly over the stock resonator with the Roush axle-back setup which I was running. You could always get a ghost cam tune for idle. :)

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
No, stock resonator right now.

Sorry, what's a ghost cam exactly?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Magnaflow 11386 dual in/out TruX muffler in place of the resonator. A little louder, but much better tone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And btw, will I need stainless steel h pipe? I live in vancouver, bc. Get more rain than anything.

Found the heartthrob one with good reviews on american muscle but it's aluminum i think not stainless

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, stock resonator right now.

Sorry, what's a ghost cam exactly?
I'd buy a J&M X pipe for $149 (or one of the other brands like Ford Racing), it's quality stainless and will significantly increase volume. I initially had just the Roush axle-backs but wanted more sound, so about a month later I threw the X pipe on. Cold starts are VERY loud with this setup.

A ghost cam tune makes your car sound like a lopey old big block at idle. However you need a tune (obviously) and you have to remove the cats. If you don't want to get a tune or remove the cats, then your best bet is to throw an X or H pipe on there and get rid of the resonator. Like I said, throw an X or H pipe on and decide from there, they're cheap and easy to install. Everything else like headers, removing cats, tunes, etc. will either cost more or be more difficult to do.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And btw, will I need stainless steel h pipe? I live in vancouver, bc. Get more rain than anything.

Found the heartthrob one with good reviews on american muscle but it's aluminum i think not stainless
ALWAYS get quality stainless, especially up north. I had a Magnaflow welded onto my last vehicle, it was smaller than the stock muffler so the shop welded in a filler piece, apparently they used cheap aluminized pipe. After about a year I started hearing a clunking and couldn't figure out what it was, it turned out the pipe totally rusted away and the tail pipe was just hanging freely, no longer connected to the muffler. Always used a quality muffler too, unless you want to replace them every 2 or 3 years.

The J&M I mentioned above is 304 stainless, better quality than the factory uses. Also, the $149 price is tough to beat for a stainless X pipe. Shop around, but look for stainless. Ford makes one as well but it's about $80 more last time I checked.

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a video link to ghost cam sound?

Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
No, stock resonator right now
There is your issue. Delete the res, X pipe and H pipe have different tones but are both loud. With the roush AB it's about the loudest catback you can run. I've had a bunch of people ask if I have headers.

NavyChief122

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There is your issue. Delete the res, X pipe and H pipe have different tones but are both loud. With the roush AB it's about the loudest catback you can run. I've had a bunch of people ask if I have headers.
Will second that loud loud loud. But good loud :ford:

Mtipton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm using the roush ab and lethal performance H-pipe. sound is perfect for me and it is loud as hell. also live just outside of vancouver. no issues what so ever

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say keep the stock resonator but add some headers in there. Not the cheapest solution, but Headers man!
Sponsored