Sponsored

Best CAI for a 15-17 GT with a 18+ manifold swap

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
When ordering parts to do my long tube headers and 18+ manifold swap, I jumped the gun a little and ordered a 18+ JLT since I know the throttle body position and angle was a little different on the 18 manifold compared to the 15-17. I still had to angle the intake tube inside the coupler pretty much all that it would allow for it to not interfere with the hood. Not super satisfied about that but I had been eyeballing a steeda closed airbox anyways, as long as they have corrected the MAF location. Does anyone have any input on how the steeda closed airbox fits on a 18 mani swapped 15-17 car (and if the 15-17 steeda vs 18+ steeda makes a difference)? Is there any other specific CAI yall would recommend for the 18 manifold swapped cars?

Out of curiosity, has anyone running a JLT CAI with a Ported 18 mani ran into any idling issues. I am Lund tuned and we are trying to track down why I'm having some weird idle characteristics. At both cold (once it idles down) and operating temp, the rpm will vary between 850 and 650. Also, coming off the throttle into a neutral coast, it will drop down to 500 before the computer catches it and brings it back up. Twice now its actually died when it dipped that low. Also, when cold I can hear some intermittent popping in the exhaust that I assume is fueling related. Tyler is having me change back to the factory airbox just to see if that changes it at all, but I am finding it really weird that I am having this problem with such a common aftermarket CAI and common supporting mods (ported 18 manifold, ARH Catless LTH's)
Sponsored

Nconsalo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did you ever get the idle issues figured out ? Iā€™m having the same issue. I use the pmas intake, ported 18, corsa catback

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Did you ever get the idle issues figured out ? Iā€™m having the same issue. I use the pmas intake, ported 18, corsa catback
Ended up being a bad maf. No CEL code for it, but I swapped in a brand new OEM maf sensor and it immediately cleaned up the idle. Iā€™ve since switched to a 2018+ airbox setup with a Velossa tech big mount funnel and I absolutely love the fit and performance with this CAI. According to some data logs, it pulls identical peak maf lbs/min compared to the JLT CAI and the mid range actually has higher lbs/min values.

Iā€™d wager to say the steed closed CAI might have a potential performance increase but I donā€™t think it would be much. I originally planned to run one but mine got back ordered pretty bad so I went the 18+ OEM CAI route instead.