Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,
I recently had to replace my battery (3.5 years old) which is no big deal. BUT, when I pulled off the plastic battery cover I was surprised to see a chonk-load of corrosion around the negative battery terminal. I cleaned it off and replaced the battery and everything is fine.

So, I know that corrosion on the negative battery terminal usually means undercharging of the battery (and corrosion on the + terminal means overcharging). I have had a Rockford Fosgate RF 12 powered subwoofer installed for approximately 2 years (and there wasn't any corrosion when I installed it). I figure this has something to do with the corrosion problem (and probably decreased the battery's life to some extent). However, I did wire it so that the sub turns off when the car is off (by wiring the 12V cut-off wire to the car's back camera wire), and I usually don't run the sub very hard (about 2/5 volume). Also, after searching on this forum it sounds like quite a few people have issues with corrosion on either the negative or positive terminal.

My question is, do you guys think this is relatively normal? Should I be worried? I really don't want to give up my subwoofer, and unfortunately I can't find a higher power alternator for the ecoboost Mustang.

20191025_170039.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Aggie1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Hey everyone,
I recently had to replace my battery (3.5 years old) which is no big deal. BUT, when I pulled off the plastic battery cover I was surprised to see a chonk-load of corrosion around the negative battery terminal. I cleaned it off and replaced the battery and everything is fine.

So, I know that corrosion on the negative battery terminal usually means undercharging of the battery (and corrosion on the + terminal means overcharging). I have had a Rockford Fosgate RF 12 powered subwoofer installed for approximately 2 years (and there wasn't any corrosion when I installed it). I figure this has something to do with the corrosion problem (and probably decreased the battery's life to some extent). However, I did wire it so that the sub turns off when the car is off (by wiring the 12V cut-off wire to the car's back camera wire), and I usually don't run the sub very hard (about 2/5 volume). Also, after searching on this forum it sounds like quite a few people have issues with corrosion on either the negative or positive terminal.

My question is, do you guys think this is relatively normal? Should I be worried? I really don't want to give up my subwoofer, and unfortunately I can't find a higher power alternative for the ecoboost Mustang.
20191025_170039.jpg
I had the exact same thing happen. Upon inspection the negative battery terminal was loose in the battery case and the battery was offgassing onto the terminal. I replaced the battery and ordered a new connector from Levitown Ford and all is good now.

OP
OP
HappySquirrel

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact same thing happen. Upon inspection the negative battery terminal was loose in the battery case and the battery was offgassing onto the terminal. I replaced the battery and ordered a new connector from Levitown Ford and all is good now.
Thanks for the info! I will double-check that everything is tight.

Aggie1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Thanks for the info! I will double-check that everything is tight.
Just a clarification.. I used a wrong word. It was the battery post in the battery that was loose. You could move it around with your hand and it was spilling acid when I removed it.

OP
OP
HappySquirrel

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a clarification.. I used a wrong word. It was the battery post in the battery that was loose. You could move it around with your hand and it was spilling acid when I removed it.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sponsored

screamingchief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7
I think it’s just a common problem with Ford Mustang. I bought a 2015 V6 last year and was surprised how corroded the negative terminal was. I bought a new replacement post connector and thought that would solve the issue. To make a long story short. Had to buy a Advance Auto battery when mine went dead and the same thing started happening to the negative terminal on the new battery. Brought my car in to dealer 3 months later because the AC fan stopped working and they said my battery is showing low voltage and they needed to replace it with OEM battery to do a complete diagnostic check. AC fixed and 3 more months later with OEM battery and it’s starting to corrode again. Here is a picture of the Advance Auto battery
C6430069-39ED-4B2D-9093-724056DBF5BB.jpeg
EFF4163B-ADC5-49A5-9E10-76B35152B0F2.jpeg

Last edited:

screamingchief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7
So the reason I have been looking through forums is to see if the big 3 upgrade has solved this issue since it is upgrading the wiring system for ground/negative. Then also upgrading the positive battery wire to alternator positive post, in which case you will also add a 200amp inline fuse block.

I also found out there is a sensor wrapped around the negative wire that reads current draw. So your new negative wire has to go through that sensor. Anyway I have not found anything on my theory.

OP
OP
HappySquirrel

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s just a common problem with Ford Mustang. I bought a 2015 V6 last year and was surprised how corroded the negative terminal was. I bought a new replacement post connector and thought that would solve the issue. To make a long story short. Had to buy a Advance Auto battery when mine went dead and the same thing started happening to the negative terminal on the new battery. Brought my car in to dealer 3 months later because the AC fan stopped working and they said my battery is showing low voltage and they needed to replace it with OEM battery to do a complete diagnostic check. AC fixed and 3 more months later with OEM battery and it’s starting to corrode again. Here is a picture of the Advance Auto battery
C6430069-39ED-4B2D-9093-724056DBF5BB.jpeg
EFF4163B-ADC5-49A5-9E10-76B35152B0F2.jpeg
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Sponsored

joleobee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

My question is, do you guys think this is relatively normal? Should I be worried? I really don't want to give up my subwoofer, and unfortunately I can't find a higher power alternator for the ecoboost Mustang.

20191025_170039.jpg
Happened to my 2016 GT. Ford replaced the battery and terminal for me. But the original Ford battery needed to be in there.

screamingchief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7
You need to grease your terminals !
So today I took the negative battery connectors and cleaned them. The new Ford battery had begun to corrode like last 2 batteries. I also disconnected the factory grounding points and cleaned it up. I then applied dialectical grease on all the connectors and bolted everything back the way it was. My voltage display went from the highest reading of 13.8 before and now 14.6 after. I guess in 3 months I will have to come back and give an update.
93839DE6-C03D-45FE-9BEE-13897461EDE2.jpeg
91C4E3C9-C888-4E1F-9C0E-CD13CC794467.jpeg
879D9A17-F0FE-472D-8D33-543D37C94BDB.jpeg

OP
OP
HappySquirrel

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So today I took the negative battery connectors and cleaned them. The new Ford battery had begun to corrode like last 2 batteries. I also disconnected the factory grounding points and cleaned it up. I then applied dialectical grease on all the connectors and bolted everything back the way it was. My voltage display went from the highest reading of 13.8 before and now 14.6 after. I guess in 3 months I will have to come back and give an update.
93839DE6-C03D-45FE-9BEE-13897461EDE2.jpeg
91C4E3C9-C888-4E1F-9C0E-CD13CC794467.jpeg
879D9A17-F0FE-472D-8D33-543D37C94BDB.jpeg
Nice. Thanks for the info!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV