Sponsored

Battery powered polisher?

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys. I am looking to buy my first polisher. I borrowed one last time I needed one but would like to have my own. I'm looking at buying a 5" Dewalt random orbital 20v cordless polisher ($292 on Amazon). I already have a bunch of dewalt tools so I have the batteries and chargers. I will be using the polisher on my '19 GT, my '15 F-150 crew cab with 6.5' box and for my wife's Chevy Traverse. I am concerned that a 5" polisher is too small - I don't know if I can install a larger back plate on this polisher or if I even need a larger back plate. I worked on the truck last winter and there are a lot of large panels on that! I appreciate your help and advice on this. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I am really liking the idea of it being cordless but maybe it's not a big issue...
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
OP: I would research a 6" back plate for the Dewalt, I can't imagine there isn't one. I don't think anyone goes larger than 6" but the plate would give you the flexibility to switch without too much trouble. The larger pads are handy for those big, long sections of vehicles while a 5" can be used for pretty small areas. Personally, I still think you need would need a 2" to round out the group. :-) Like so many others on here, I've come to love the Rupes Nano too. Very handy for the really small, painted parts that couldn't be polished with anything larger.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hey guys. I am looking to buy my first polisher. I borrowed one last time I needed one but would like to have my own. I'm looking at buying a 5" Dewalt random orbital 20v cordless polisher ($292 on Amazon). I already have a bunch of dewalt tools so I have the batteries and chargers. I will be using the polisher on my '19 GT, my '15 F-150 crew cab with 6.5' box and for my wife's Chevy Traverse. I am concerned that a 5" polisher is too small - I don't know if I can install a larger back plate on this polisher or if I even need a larger back plate. I worked on the truck last winter and there are a lot of large panels on that! I appreciate your help and advice on this. I'm open to other suggestions as well. I am really liking the idea of it being cordless but maybe it's not a big issue...
I bought three new polishers last year, 3 inch and 5 inch battery ShineMate's and the excellent Rupes iBrid Nano.

http://www.shinemate.com/product/orbital-polisher-eb351/

The 5 inch machine replaced a corded 6 inch machine, I thought the 5 inch would be too small but that fear was short lived. I have found you get better control of a 5 vs 6 inch tool. The 5 inch is perfect for doors, hoods and roof panels, the 3 inch I end up using more than I had anticipated.

dec282.jpg

dec297.jpg

jan212.jpg

Another option would be Flex battery polishers, if they were not absurdly priced in Australia, that would have been my choice.
https://www.flex-tools.com/en/products/l/polishers-2/

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I bought three new polishers last year, 3 inch and 5 inch battery ShineMate's and the excellent Rupes iBrid Nano.

http://www.shinemate.com/product/orbital-polisher-eb351/

The 5 inch machine replaced a corded 6 inch machine, I thought the 5 inch would be too small but that fear was short lived. I have found you get better control of a 5 vs 6 inch tool. The 5 inch is perfect for doors, hoods and roof panels, the 3 inch I end up using more than I had anticipated.

dec282.jpg

dec297.jpg

jan212.jpg

Another option would be Flex battery polishers, if they were not absurdly priced in Australia, that would have been my choice.
https://www.flex-tools.com/en/products/l/polishers-2/
Wait, there is a "science" regarding polishing. What are those red stripes for? And where around the car do you apply them? Honestly I maybe wash my car once a month.. looking into polishing it too. Carwash days are over obviously.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Leave it to Deyon to push the envelope. <smiling> Flex gear is most excellent but those Germans want a chunk of gelt for their stuff. :cool:

So, when's the full report on cordless vs. corded with regard to polishing, D? I do like cordless stuff but me thinks my corded polishers will outlast me.

I agree I would rather have a 5" over a 6"
Or both. :-)

OP
OP
MNstang

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Sounds like the 5" wouldn't be too bad (preferred by some). Maybe I could contact dewalt and see if a 6" back plate would work...

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wait, there is a "science" regarding polishing. What are those red stripes for? And where around the car do you apply them? Honestly I maybe wash my car once a month.. looking into polishing it too. Carwash days are over obviously.
The red stripes are from CarPro masking tape.
https://carpro.global/catalog/masking-tape/

The tape prevents polish residue from staining rubber or plastic trims, badges, headlamps or any delicate area that would either be damaged by polishing or be hard to clean residue from.

Mustang's don't require too much taping due to the way panels join and lack of badging. My Falcon's on the other hand are a different story.

dec295.jpg

dec296.jpg

dec2910.jpg

oct202.jpg

oct203.jpg

The green tape above is 3M painters tape, the CarPro version is much better. NEVER EVER cheap out on tape, ask me how I know this.........

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks for the responses so far guys. Sounds like the 5" wouldn't be too bad (preferred by some). Maybe I could contact dewalt and see if a 6" back plate would work...
I guessing this is the Dewalt you are looking at -
https://www.amazon.com.au/DEWALT-DCM848B-Cordless-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B082N7P8DD

First thing I would do is remove the protruding side handle and use it like below -

dewalt100.jpg

You will have much better control over the machine and keep the pad flatter using it that way. What I like about cordless polishing is not having to manage where the cord is during the process, it becomes very natural and ergonomic holding the machine via the base of the battery and the top of the head.

dec297.jpg

I honestly don't think you will miss that extra inch in pad size, you will most likely be impressed with the improved control over the pad and machine.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Leave it to Deyon to push the envelope. <smiling> Flex gear is most excellent but those Germans want a chunk of gelt for their stuff. :cool:

So, when's the full report on cordless vs. corded with regard to polishing, D? I do like cordless stuff but me thinks my corded polishers will outlast me.
From memory, you had a Rupes LHR15? That will as you say last a lifetime. They are such a great performing and looking machine and are an industry benchmark for a reason. While I don't need one, I still really want one!

lhr15100.jpg

My move to battery powered polishers sort of just "happened"! :giggle:

This machine served me for a little over a decade and was used with 6 inch Lake Country pads.

apr271.jpg

apr272.jpg

oct205.jpg

The battery powered Shine Mate polishers were released in late 2020 and immediately grabbed my attention. As mentioned earlier, Flex is just too expensive and Rupes for some reason don't make a battery powered polishers above the iBrid.

The release of the Shine Mate's coincided with the Black Friday sale that year and also the launch of a Membership program by my favorite supplier (I was automatically set at Gold level membership due to my spending habits :giggle:). Originally I wanted to get a 3 inch machine to compliment the polisher I already had..............................except I got carried away! :facepalm:

Because of the discounts from the membership and Black Friday sale, I ended up ordering both 3 and 5 inch machines and the associated batteries and charger. I also ordered a bag to store them in. When they turned up as a birthday present to myself, I was surprised to find two extra batteries were thrown in for free, I still don't know if that was by mistake or not........not complaining though!

dec281.jpg

dec283.jpg

dec284.jpg

dec285.jpg

dec286.jpg

I have not used the corded polisher since and have never wanted for more power or battery life. The lack of a cord to manage makes them easier to use and allows you to concentrate on the task at hand. The convenience of just grabbing and going is also a big plus for me.

dec298.jpg

A few months later I gifted myself another polisher, this time the Rupes iBrid Nano, the long neck version.

rup5.jpg

rup15.jpg

The iBrid is not absolutely necessary, being more of a luxury item, but it's very handy to have on hand. I would though recommend having a 3 inch machine to compliment the 5 inch, between those two you will attend to 98% of the car, the final 2% would be done by hand or iBrid.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
The KING of Posts! You are amazing, dude, I swear. :cool:

Yep, I started with a LHR-15, picked up a pneumatic 2", then an electric 2", and finally the Ibrid. I also have a 6" plate for the 15.

I just had a birthday, myself and sprang for yet another tool. I don't mind the polisher cords but the 1/2" air line from the compressor is a bit much to work with so I retired my pneumatic impact and replaced with one of these.

1641729486590.png

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
The red stripes are from CarPro masking tape.
https://carpro.global/catalog/masking-tape/

The tape prevents polish residue from staining rubber or plastic trims, badges, headlamps or any delicate area that would either be damaged by polishing or be hard to clean residue from.

Mustang's don't require too much taping due to the way panels join and lack of badging. My Falcon's on the other hand are a different story.

dec295.jpg

dec296.jpg

dec2910.jpg

oct202.jpg

oct203.jpg

The green tape above is 3M painters tape, the CarPro version is much better. NEVER EVER cheap out on tape, ask me how I know this.........
Thank you! :like:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Flex polishers are one of the goto brands. but they are not cheap.
Here is my opinion of CORDLESS anything tools.
If you are not a detailer that will be using them allot, getting cordless is pointless, UNLESS, the tool uses the same battery as cordless tools that YOU do use enough to warrant them.
A guy with a polisher with 2 cars isn't going to use it enough to make the use of the tool worth it before the batteries are going bad. YA,YA, I know what they claim about the litho-ion batteries, but having had tools with them that got very little use and batteries became paperweights.
Sure tossing the cord over your shoulder to keep it off the paint is a pain over the no cord, but. being able to use the tool when you need it is key. dead batteries that charge doesn't last or won't charge at all, and having to order a battery because your choice of brand tool has moved on to a new volt standard and battery. To me isn't a selling point, unless you will use the tool to wear it out before the batteries go south.
Polishing you want a set rpm. batteries as they are used, lose juice and the rpm will get slower and the motor weaker, and if your not careful and forget to let the tool do the work and not put weight on the tool you can burn your paint.
O/P only you know if you'll use a cordless enough before you have issues with powering it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Flex polishers are one of the goto brands. but they are not cheap.
Here is my opinion of CORDLESS anything tools.
If you are not a detailer that will be using them allot, getting cordless is pointless, UNLESS, the tool uses the same battery as cordless tools that YOU do use enough to warrant them.
A guy with a polisher with 2 cars isn't going to use it enough to make the use of the tool worth it before the batteries are going bad. YA,YA, I know what they claim about the litho-ion batteries, but having had tools with them that got very little use and batteries became paperweights.
Sure tossing the cord over your shoulder to keep it off the paint is a pain over the no cord, but. being able to use the tool when you need it is key. dead batteries that charge doesn't last or won't charge at all, and having to order a battery because your choice of brand tool has moved on to a new volt standard and battery. To me isn't a selling point, unless you will use the tool to wear it out before the batteries go south.
Polishing you want a set rpm. batteries as they are used, lose juice and the rpm will get slower and the motor weaker, and if your not careful and forget to let the tool do the work and not put weight on the tool you can burn your paint.
O/P only you know if you'll use a cordless enough before you have issues with powering it.
!00% > the fail of the battery power tools, worse yet the damn thing quits in the middle of a job.

The tool itself is bulky, the support, charger useless lump of shit always in the way. The frigging batties that always need replacing, extras laying around.

I have 1 battery power tool a drill.

I will take corded all day every day, 2 times it stops, power off, or unplugged. Just NO getting around these stupid facts, damn details anyway.
Sponsored