2021 Shelby GT500
Sponsored

Last edited:

CenCalS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have an Ipad slider kit I'm wanting to mold into my factory 4". There are no articles online with this Generation Mustang and an Ipad install other than the Ghetto kit AM sells that keeps the 4" and silly number pad.

I would like to pull out the factory radio components, leave in the HVAC and mold the Ipad kit into the factory bezel. Mounting a Single Din and Audio processor behind the dash or remotely.

IS there anything that keeps the radio mandatory? I will be controlling the aftermarket Radio by the steering wheel controls.

If you know how or have saved links to other similar installs, can you please help?

I can do the work of molding, I just haven't had to deal with the 15+ stereo's yet. It seems like the base radio would be easier to deal with than the Premium 8".
If you pull out the factory radio unit like the display and disc player your trouble would be the pcb on the bezel itself because there is only a 4" opening from where the screen goes. If you want to do all that I would suggest buying that scosche kit or the metra dash kit, some say there is issues with the ac controls but if you keep oem stuff intact you can do the ipad mini and have no problem keeping your oem pcb and removing the volume and tuner knob from the pcb.

RayJHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Well there are many units now that are more elongated and can be mounted in the center of the dash top. I have a lot of them saved because it is a backup idea. It would look like something in a modern Benz or BMW etc. Your tablet will be too big for the dash top and you have to keep the factory unit as stated before.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
There's only one major risk of having an ipad or a tablet in the car, which kinda steered me away from having one of my own. and that's the fire hazzard of having a lithium ion battery inside the car, especially during the summer.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
We Fly with IPADs and use them for our approach plates, moving maps and other navigational needs in flight. They are subjected to extreme heat at altitude, G-forces with no ill Effects. I'm sure if they are ok to fly with in a 50 mil F-15E strike eagle then I'm sure your mustang will be ok.
There's only one major risk of having an ipad or a tablet in the car, which kinda steered me away from having one of my own. and that's the fire hazzard of having a lithium ion battery inside the car, especially during the summer.

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
OK, then by all means go for it. Just want to point out that a car sitting in the sun at 112F is not comparable to a moving air conditioned F-15E cabin. Just saying.

We Fly with IPADs and use them for our approach plates, moving maps and other navigational needs in flight. They are subjected to extreme heat at altitude, G-forces with no ill Effects. I'm sure if they are ok to fly with in a 50 mil F-15E strike eagle then I'm sure your mustang will be ok.

grabber yote

Corn Fed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue 2017 GT PP
Our IPADs get so hot in flight that they overheat and shut off, hence why we have to fly with backup paper. The sun at altitude in incredibly hot even with ECS on. You are just paranoid.

OK, then by all means go for it. Just want to point out that a car sitting in the sun at 112F is not comparable to a moving air conditioned F-15E cabin. Just saying.

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I had an Ipad in my car and the heat caused the battery to swell and bust the case open. But thats Yuma, Arizona for you.
Sponsored