arex5.0

arex5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If you're getting uneven tread wear in the middle of your tire that is due to your tires not having to proper psi. If camber is off you'll have wear from the very edge inward. Not just a strip in the middle.
It looks like the uneven tread wear is coming from the inner part of the tire to that middle part on both sides. The driver side pic I put in the previous pic (to me) looks like it’s the same color from the left to that distinguished line that I circled. I could be mistaken, though. This is my current PSI — I usually drive with them aired to around 42-44PSI (Max Load: 50 PSI). You think 42-44 is a good range to have it at?

IMG_5790.jpeg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was referring to what I circled here. Is that what you're talking about as well? So, that's not because of uneven wear? I was assuming that because of the camber being off, that was the cause of the discoloration on the tires....I will try to get an alignment sheet soon and update it here.

IMG_5781 2.jpg
No, that doesnt look like bad wear.

The MP4S uses two tread compounds, one on the shoulder and one on the main 3/4 of the tire. The tread change location is in a different spot on this differently sized 285/35R19 MP4S of mine, but you can see it. Its one tread block over on the wider 285 in my photo (285 is a different mold from a 255 or 275 so they put the seam in a different place) but its just a material change in the construction of the tire, not a wear patrern. I’ve had 4 sets of these over the years, its nothing abnormal.

image.jpg

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
40-45 is fine. As long as you aren't under inflating it like 20 psi or something.
Is it though? If he's wearing in the middle, and I can't tell, isn't that a sign of over inflation?
I run mine at what the door sticker says, 32psi. Granted stock tires on stock rims but still.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Is it though? If he's wearing in the middle, and I can't tell, isn't that a sign of over inflation?
I run mine at what the door sticker says, 32psi. Granted stock tires on stock rims but still.
Do you trust a sticker on the door or what the actual tire manufacturer stamps on the side of that tire? I can put a sticker on the door that says 100 psi. You going to go by that? 40-45 is not over inflation at all...

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Try these. More adjustment than bolts.
Strut Tower.JPG

OP
OP
arex5.0

arex5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No, that doesnt look like bad wear.

The MP4S uses two tread compounds, one on the shoulder and one on the main 3/4 of the tire. The tread change location is in a different spot on this differently sized 285/35R19 MP4S of mine, but you can see it. Its one tread block over on the wider 285 in my photo (285 is a different mold from a 255 or 275 so they put the seam in a different place) but its just a material change in the construction of the tire, not a wear patrern. I’ve had 4 sets of these over the years, its nothing abnormal.

image.jpg
Damn, I didn't even know that. I'm glad to say I learned something new today, thank you! I don't ever remember seeing that on my old Michelin PS4's, that's wild lol

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Do you trust a sticker on the door or what the actual tire manufacturer stamps on the side of that tire? I can put a sticker on the door that says 100 psi. You going to go by that? 40-45 is not over inflation at all...
That's a ridiculous statement.
Yes, I do trust what the vehicle manufacturer puts on the door sticker. They're the ones who built, designed and speced the car. What is on the side of a tire is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for, not what it should be run at. What the tire should be run at involves a lot of factors, not a number someone pulls out of thin air and says "that's fine".
If the OP is wearing tread on the center more than on the edges then it's pretty likely he is over inflated.
Oh, and there are vehicles that do run 100+ psi in their tires. Ford's F350 door sticker says 65psi front & 75psi rear.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like the uneven tread wear is coming from the inner part of the tire to that middle part on both sides. The driver side pic I put in the previous pic (to me) looks like it’s the same color from the left to that distinguished line that I circled. I could be mistaken, though. This is my current PSI — I usually drive with them aired to around 42-44PSI (Max Load: 50 PSI). You think 42-44 is a good range to have it at?

IMG_5790.jpeg
40+ is past the optimal range for the MP4S on our cars. Keep them under 37, and the factory spec of 32 (cold pressure) is a good spot to be in.

Your pic shows 32 not 42, so I think you're probably fine.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
That's a ridiculous statement.
Yes, I do trust what the vehicle manufacturer puts on the door sticker. They're the ones who built, designed and speced the car. What is on the side of a tire is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for, not what it should be run at. What the tire should be run at involves a lot of factors, not a number someone pulls out of thin air and says "that's fine".
If the OP is wearing tread on the center more than on the edges then it's pretty likely he is over inflated.
Oh, and there are vehicles that do run 100+ psi in their tires. Ford's F350 door sticker says 65psi front & 75psi rear.
That's cool. So when you buy an aftermarket wheel set up you're going to go by what the door says? Got it. Good choice. I never said there aren't tires that don't run 100 psi? Lol... Of course there are. Big rig tires run right at 100. It's not that hard to find tire information. The placard on the door jam is the MINIMUM the tire should be run at, and that's only if it's the tires that come on your car from the factory, or the same exact replacement tires. The stamp on the tire is the absolute maximum the tire should be at. So, yes, 40-45 is fine. It's not going to hurt anything besides traction. It's definitely not over inflated.
Sponsored