Sponsored

bad news for people who want to widen their wheels.

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
like it says, from what I have found on my internet searching, there are probably only two businesses here in the US that widen alloy wheels. I called one of the businesses yesterday, one that I read that was probably the best option, about having my 19" CS wheels widened 2 inches. He is slowing down and will not accept my wheels at this time to widen them. He stated a lot of reasons which I wont post here, but he had good reasons. So that limits my options to only one place. That stinks.
Sponsored

fordfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT...1970 Maverick...2011 F250
like it says, from what I have found on my internet searching, there are probably only two businesses here in the US that widen alloy wheels. I called one of the businesses yesterday, one that I read that was probably the best option, about having my 19" CS wheels widened 2 inches. He is slowing down and will not accept my wheels at this time to widen them. He stated a lot of reasons which I wont post here, but he had good reasons. So that limits my options to only one place. That stinks.
I’ve read good things about Weldcraft. Just got a call from them this morning telling me my wheels were done. Took less than half th time they told me it would.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I guess I got my done just in time by the west coast guy. The other went from 5 to 9 weeks backlog in a very short time, so something was up. Hopefully that is now sorted out.

OP
OP
jimmerheck

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I’ve read good things about Weldcraft. Just got a call from them this morning telling me my wheels were done. Took less than half th time they told me it would.
Please let us know how they turned out, this may be my only option. Thanks!

OP
OP
jimmerheck

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I guess I got my done just in time by the west coast guy. The other went from 5 to 9 weeks backlog in a very short time, so something was up. Hopefully that is now sorted out.
Looks like you got lucky, me, not so much.

Sponsored

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Widening wheels is not a simple procedure. One of my buds owns a wheel shop and can definitely do it ... but why?

You need to cut the barrel and weld things back perfectly to avoid balancing issues. People really don't do it unless it is a rare wheel that isn't manufactured in the right width. I can't imagine spending that kind of coin on OEM/factory wheels that are not forged and super heavy to begin with.

Anyway, if interested hit up Alex @ wheelflip.com

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yes and that's why it's bad news that probably the best one at it is basically retiring with no apprentice to step up to the challenge.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Widening wheels is not a simple procedure. One of my buds owns a wheel shop and can definitely do it ... but why?

You need to cut the barrel and weld things back perfectly to avoid balancing issues. People really don't do it unless it is a rare wheel that isn't manufactured in the right width. I can't imagine spending that kind of coin on OEM/factory wheels that are not forged and super heavy to begin with.

Anyway, if interested hit up Alex @ wheelflip.com
I've already had to buy two replacements for bent stock wheels. I'd hate to go to the trouble of widening one and then have it bend on a stupid pothole because of its soft construction. Not to mention the damn weight of the stock wheels.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
With more than 40 years of driving I've never bent a wheel and don't plan on starting to now. Not worried...

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
But new, lighter & wider wheels for the same cost. Then you have a spare set for the winter.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Some choose new wheels, some prefer the stock look. I've had both.
To each their own fellow American.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Plenty of lighter, wider replica wheels with the stock look.

OP
OP
jimmerheck

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I've never seen an aftermarket wheel that duplicates the California Special wheel. I am not a super fan of these wheels, but since they are on the car, and unique to the car, I'll live with them and I'd like the rears to be wider. I dont care about weight. I will never track this car. I bought it to be fun and gave it to my wife to be a daily driver for her. This car will only see about 4 to 5k miles per year, tops. She loves it! Funny, like I said, i'm not a super fan of these wheels, but all of my friends love them, that, or they are just being nice! For example, If I had a PP car, i'd dump those in a heartbeat. I dont like those at all. Too hard to keep clean. We all have our own opinions.

OP
OP
jimmerheck

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Have you gotten them back yet and if so, any problems or anything else you'd like to report?

fordfred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT...1970 Maverick...2011 F250
Have you gotten them back yet and if so, any problems or anything else you'd like to report?
Got them today. Turned out very well. The only thing that may turn off some people is that you can see the weld beads. Weldcraft offers to grind them down for an extra charge. They don’t bother me since they cant be seen once inatalled so I didn’t opt to have it done.

Three things that I really like are: 1) the quality of the welds; 2) he did not disturb the finish on the face of the wheels at all and 3) the inner lips on both wheels had a couple of dings on them that he fixed (which I didn’t even ask him to do).
E19350FB-5C48-41B9-9DDB-6748644D140D.jpeg
45E803D8-A190-42EC-9BFF-D15A2ECFE3A0.jpeg
Sponsored