Sponsored

Axle back tips not flush

Fishman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic, Ceramic Int. 20" Foundry
I'm considering adding the Steeda axle backs on my car. It seems that every pic I see of any axle back install shows the tips of the exhaust sticking out significantly further than the stock setup. I don't want my tips protruding from the rear bumper and want them in the same position as stock.

Anyone have tips or pics on how to actually install axle backs and keep them from sticking out??

Thanks!
Sponsored

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 2014 Edge 2013 F150
I have the Roush on mine and there is a ton of room for adjustment of the tips. If the tips are clamped on the Steeda system you will have tons of room for adjustment. I took a picture of the stock tips before I took them off and set up the Roush exactly the same. Roush and Ametican Muscle have great installation videos on you tube. I'll bet Steeda has an installation video also. They are a top notch company and I love their products.

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
The tips are welded with the Steeda catback making adjustments minimal. I went with the Roush axleback and there is a ton of adjustment because the tips clamp on.

dhardison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I installed my Steeda axle-back per the instructions and I was pleased with the tip placement. If I wanted to move the tips inward more there's plenty of adjustment to do so. Cutting an additional inch from the factory pipes would allow even more inward adjustment.

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I just noticed that also. Kind of makes the Roush an easier install. I like the fact that the Roush tip is clamped making it a breeze to change them out for a different style or replace if a tip ever got damaged. Not much room for error on the Steeda install that's for sure.

Sponsored

Need4Speed15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Auto
I installed my Steeda axle-back per the instructions and I was pleased with the tip placement. If I wanted to move the tips inward more there's plenty of adjustment to do so. Cutting an additional inch from the factory pipes would allow even more inward adjustment.
If you cut more will the hangers on both sides of the diff bottom out when you try to push the mufflers forward? That's the only thing I can see happening if you cut more to try to move them in to be more flush with the rear fascia.

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Could you get different tips for the same exhaust. Here is mine
image.jpg

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the only way I am seeing adjustment on the tip is with a clamped tip. The pipe that you are cutting is running left to right under the car if I recall. If you cut more off the pipe it would just jack the muffler making the tips crooked coming out the back. Seems like the install that dhardison did would be standard on all Steeda installs. The length that his tips stick out would be identical on all Steeda installs and look good to me. About the same as stock which is perfect.

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the Steeda's cut further towards the front of the car? If they cut where the factory pipe starts heading toward the front of the car then cutting the factory pipe shorter or longer would affect the tip.

OP
OP

Fishman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic, Ceramic Int. 20" Foundry
So the only way I am seeing adjustment on the tip is with a clamped tip. The pipe that you are cutting is running left to right under the car if I recall. If you cut more off the pipe it would just jack the muffler making the tips crooked coming out the back. Seems like the install that dhardison did would be standard on all Steeda installs. The length that his tips stick out would be identical on all Steeda installs and look good to me. About the same as stock which is perfect.
I think they stick out way further than stock in that pic?

I agree that cutting more pipe wouldn't move them back under the fascia where they should be.

Sponsored

kray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exhaust is definitely a crap shoot if you are buying having never seen or heard your choice. More than once you read on this forum about a guy that made a bad choice. Man, it's not like this stuff is cheap and you toss aside a bad choice and start over without hurting the wallet. Maybe someone from Steeda or a Steeda rep can jump in here with a suggestion.

dhardison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If you cut more will the hangers on both sides of the diff bottom out when you try to push the mufflers forward? That's the only thing I can see happening if you cut more to try to move them in to be more flush with the rear fascia.
I'll have to check to see how much farther back the diff-area hangers will allow with my current configuration.

:thumbsup: I'd actually considered cutting an additional inch from the factory pipes in order to move the tips a little farther under the rear valence, but then if I ever wanted to use a band-clamp to re-install the factory axle-back system there would be a gap.

Do the Steeda's cut further towards the front of the car? If they cut where the factory pipe starts heading toward the front of the car then cutting the factory pipe shorter or longer would affect the tip.
With the Steeda axle-back, the cut is front to back, so cutting an additional inch off the factory pipes for example should allow the axle-backs to slide farther up under the rear valence. Here's a snippet from the Steeda axle-back installation instructions. Maybe @David@Steeda can provide some additional info.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
With the Steeda axle-back, the cut is front to back, so cutting an additional inch off the factory pipes for example should allow the axle-backs to slide farther up under the rear valence. Here's a snippet from the Steeda axle-back installation instructions. Maybe @David@Steeda can provide some additional info.

Exactly, you would simply cut an extra inch of piping during the install to have the tips end up more inward in the valance.