xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Was hoping for manual locking hubs
I know you were joking, but it is a variable torque split transfer case. I can go from RWD to AWD or even locked up if I want.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Here is a short tease of the progress on the car. Check it out:)

Sh%t is getting real!

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
AWD Mustang - Custom CNC Front Differential Cover - EP 24

New episode is out!!

Sponsored

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
I also asked this question in the general forum, but I will put it here too, to keep the thread going.

Aftermarket motor mounts

I needed more clearance in the car for the front axles and thus the HUGE stock mounts were not going to work. Without much thought I picked up some BMR engine mounts which provide a lot more room and designed my modifications around them.

I have now been driving the car and the NVH is COMPLETELY unacceptable! The steering wheel, mirrors, etc shake like crazy. The whole point of the project is to be a nice driving all conditions road rocket, not some race car that is no fun to drive. I have been there/done that.

So, now, what do I do? I can't go back to stock hydraulic mounts, there is simply no room.

Options:
1: Make some 60 durometer pucks for my exiting mounts (stock BMR is 95 durometer)
2: Steeda mounts? They will bolt in. Does anybody know what durometer the red pucks are?
3: Some other aftermarket 550 mount? UPR, etc.
4: Redesign my setup to use some relatively compact, but compliant motor mount from another application? C5 Corvette comes to mind.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I also asked this question in the general forum, but I will put it here too, to keep the thread going.

Aftermarket motor mounts

I needed more clearance in the car for the front axles and thus the HUGE stock mounts were not going to work. Without much thought I picked up some BMR engine mounts which provide a lot more room and designed my modifications around them.

I have now been driving the car and the NVH is COMPLETELY unacceptable! The steering wheel, mirrors, etc shake like crazy. The whole point of the project is to be a nice driving all conditions road rocket, not some race car that is no fun to drive. I have been there/done that.

So, now, what do I do? I can't go back to stock hydraulic mounts, there is simply no room.

Options:
1: Make some 60 durometer pucks for my exiting mounts (stock BMR is 95 durometer)
2: Steeda mounts? They will bolt in. Does anybody know what durometer the red pucks are?
4: Redesign my setup to use some relatively compact, but compliant motor mount from another application? C5 Corvette comes to mind.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
@2021 Mach 1 has the same issue, I'm just tagging him so he can share in any feedback you get :like:

WD :like:

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Steeda mounts are known to break, so my vote would be to machine new pucks from a lower durometer PU.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Aftermarket motor mounts

Options:

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Tim, as @WD Pro mentioned, I have the same issue. Once my Kooks headers were installed, they needed a bit more room, so the factory Mach 1 mounts were replaced with BMR adjustable motor mounts. The Mach 1 mounts are a bit firmer than the GT mounts, but still at low speed and idle, the car ran perfectly smooth. Now, however, the BMR mounts mean that at idle both my seat and steering wheel vibrate considerably. I don't notice it if I'm cruising at 70 mph, but at low speed and idle there is considerable vibration. I find it very annoying even after many months of living with it. I have not tried any other mounts, however, I think your idea of making 60 durometer mounts makes the most sense. Like you, I needed the extra room so something had to be done, but still I'm not happy with the BMR mounts. I don't know why they can't offer something softer.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Aftermarket motor mounts

Options:

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Tim, as @WD Pro mentioned, I have the same issue. Once my Kooks headers were installed, they needed a bit more room, so the factory Mach 1 mounts were replaced with BMR adjustable motor mounts. The Mach 1 mounts are a bit firmer than the GT mounts, but still at low speed and idle, the car ran perfectly smooth. Now, however, the BMR mounts mean that at idle both my seat and steering wheel vibrate considerably. I don't notice it if I'm cruising at 70 mph, but at low speed and idle there is considerable vibration. I find it very annoying even after many months of living with it. I have not tried any other mounts, however, I think your idea of making 60 durometer mounts makes the most sense. Like you, I needed the extra room so something had to be done, but still I'm not happy with the BMR mounts. I don't know why they can't offer something softer.

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Aftermarket motor mounts

Options:

Thanks in advance,
Tim

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase

Aftermarket motor mounts

Options:

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have the Bmr motor brackets with Steeda mounts. I have no NVH and had lots of room for my Kooks LTH.

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have the Bmr motor brackets with Steeda mounts. I have no NVH and had lots of room for my Kooks LTH. I used the red pucks with the steeda mounts. I believe they offer them with stiffer black pucks as well. The red are perfect for me.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for all of the great feedback.

I think I will go with the make my own pucks concept.

I reached out to Steeda and their pucks are 80/88 durometer for the red and black versions. Both substantially lower than the BMR 95 Shore A.

I drove the car to work today and I am getting more confident in it and really starting to push it. It was sort of raining in the morning and I was hoping to try out some wet traction, but it really wasn't that wet.

The only real issue is the vibration from the engine mounts and a vibration at higher speeds from the rear driveshaft. The AWD components seem to be working great. There seems to be plenty of travel and angle in the axles, etc.

Tim
Sponsored