Sponsored

Averaging 20mpg on a GT-PP, what do you get?

Bumzo1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT PP
After about 8000 miles I have a lifetime average of right at 21mpg. I drive pretty spiritedly about 35/65 city/hw and pretty much always take it to redline when merging on the highway. I'm very pleased with this, with the same driving loop my 05 grand cherokee with half the power would only do 18mpg. It's a much better highway cruiser as well for my commute and its going to be very hard to choose the Jeep over the Mustang this winter.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Update, just averaged 22mpg on my last tank of 93. Considering the effort I put in, I would consider that the highest combined fuel economy possible from a GT-PP. Highway mileage was 26-27, City was 18 or so.

Joebroni

Frac E-Tech
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 50th
Just refueled and had 16.7mpg. That was a combined highway trip at the first half and city on the second half of the tank. Had to lower my AFE to 930 because it was still high. I think it's about there, maybe another minor adjustment and should be dead on calculations.

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
I would average 18.5 mpg to and from work whenever I drove the GT, but that all changed after the Whipple install. I'm now down to 16.7 mpg and loving every minute!!! :headbang::D:D:D

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
Update, just averaged 22mpg on my last tank of 93. Considering the effort I put in, I would consider that the highest combined fuel economy possible from a GT-PP. Highway mileage was 26-27, City was 18 or so.
That's impressive, something I can't imagine as even possible in a PP with any amount of city use - but I believe you.

In our other discussion you mentioned that 80% of the time you're <=2000rpm. This must be the reason for you high average. This also must take considerable effort, as you've suggested. Very light on the throttle and short-shifting it most of the time.

I drive the car for fun and mpg is of no concern. I'm WOT often at all rpms in all gears and redline frequently. I spend a LOT of time above 4k rpm and never cruise below 2k rpm - in fact, due to the low amount of engine torque at that rpm, I generally cruise at 2.5k and up.

So my pure city average = 12.3:) I totally appreciate that we all have different wants and needs but if I drove the car like I "assume" you must be driving yours I'd be completely bored with this thing. How do you have fun and strive for good mpg at the same time? Honest question.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
21.9 average MPG in the first 8,900 miles. That included 7,000 miles in 2 road trips averaging 1000 miles per day. Average speed for all miles since new is somewhere between 49 and 50 MPH. Can't tell for sure because the page shows power on rather than engine running time. For example, I've had the power on for hours in the garage just to play music while working on various things.
WP_20161016_11_00_53_Pro.jpg

Geotoxic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've got about 18.5 mpg over 23k miles. 17 mpgs average since I installed my procharger. Its hard to cruise slowly when you know you got those ponies dying to be unleased D:

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That's impressive, something I can't imagine as even possible in a PP with any amount of city use - but I believe you.

In our other discussion you mentioned that 80% of the time you're <=2000rpm. This must be the reason for you high average. This also must take considerable effort, as you've suggested. Very light on the throttle and short-shifting it most of the time.
That's was actually about 40% city, and the highway was all within houston city limits, certainly not flat cruising. The beltway doesn'the have a level section in it.

I won't be driving like that anymore though. Maxing out the potential mileage was just a case study, so that I would know what I could get. I just hit 1000 miles. If I don't put sufficient load on my piston rings, they won't break in correctly. I will be shifting at no less than 3k for the next tank of gas :headbang:

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium

Sponsored

Joemomma22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP
I must be doing something wrong. I average 15-20/ tank and 18.6 average .... On my ecoboost.

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
That's was actually about 40% city, and the highway was all within houston city limits, certainly not flat cruising. The beltway doesn'the have a level section in it.

I won't be driving like that anymore though. Maxing out the potential mileage was just a case study, so that I would know what I could get. I just hit 1000 miles. If I don't put sufficient load on my piston rings, they won't break in correctly. I will be shifting at no less than 3k for the next tank of gas :headbang:
Ah, that makes more sense. Also - Houston is very much "highway" compared to most other big cities although with loads of traffic. The Beltway is purely highway - big, very fast, and never ending. It's crazy how many miles Houstonians put on their cars annually, compared to the rest of the world.

Half of my family lives there and I'm there every 3 months. Crazy huge flat vast city with crazy traffic. It is completely unlike San Diego in every sense from a 'road-way' perspective. My average speed is probably 30 and you 50 I'd bet (just wild guessing for argument's sake).

Plenty of room in Houston to break in your rings. Let it rip!!

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
At the track about 7.5, Hwy driving 27.5.

Pa-fatboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium; 1966 Mustang, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
I don't measure mpg.whats your best 0-60 time? 0-100?
Sponsored