Autocross?

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Came across a local AutoX group that seems like a good crowd and does several events throughout the year within 15 min from my house. They have a few GT’s and a GT350 that frequent their events. I’ve owned cars in the past that were probably better suited (S2000) but it still looks like some good fun. Anyone here autoX their convertible? I’m not going to do a bunch of suspension work to build the car for it, just thinking about trying it with the car as-is.

I realize our convertibles do a lot of things well but don’t excel at any one thing. I have little to no interest in drag racing, been there, it gets boring. Not to mention mine is a 6M and convertibles are extra heavy. We can’t road race (tons of fun) either without a roll bar. One shining light is that our cars have closer to a 50/50 weight distribution than the fastbacks though!

Thoughts?
Sponsored

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
If you're planning on competing in SCCA, national level events, you build the best car you can for a class. The rules, as they change, seem to somewhat dictate what the winning "car" or platform is in any given class. Outside of that...just go have fun. You're only racing a stop watch at local events, so any chance you get to improve your driving is only a plus while you have fun running the thing harder than you typically get to on the street.

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
I autocrossed years ago. It was a lot of fun, and you really got to feel how your car reacted at the limit(and sometimes a little beyond, lol) Don't worry about the other folks, just try to improve your own times. Watch how the quick ones take a line, and have fun with it !

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
As long as you are just wanting to have fun, the convertible is great. Since my race car has been down, I've run my GT convertible at several events as-is (even w/ the stock pirellis). It's very predictable and works okay as long as you plan ahead (turn-in & transitions are not crisp w/ stock suspension). I've also put old r-comps on it for fun & it's much better than the all seasons. Competing against my SCCA friends, it doesn't stand a chance. Going to other local marquee clubs for fun (less serious drivers), it places higher than the majority of casual drivers.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Since you have a GT, you should already have most of the PP front reinforcement bars (missing are the 2 front radiator supports). My only advice is to add a simple Steeda lower bar to tie the 2 lower members together. less than $100.
Steeda G-Trac K-Member Brace Ultralite 2015-2019.

I attached one to my car and the front just feels that much more planted.

Less us know how you do as I would be interested too.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the feedback and input, guys! Much appreciated. I will probably go ahead and try a couple local events this fall.

OP
OP

Turbomark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Since you have a GT, you should already have most of the PP front reinforcement bars (missing are the 2 front radiator supports). My only advice is to add a simple Steeda lower bar to tie the 2 lower members together. less than $100.
Steeda G-Trac K-Member Brace Ultralite 2015-2019.

I attached one to my car and the front just feels that much more planted.

Less us know how you do as I would be interested too.

CVCashmere
Thanks for the recommendation. What do you think about this one vs the brace you mentioned? I like that it has more touch points.
33F439CF-17F8-4055-8650-AF4251D08BAB.jpeg

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
More is better!

This will be superior to the single bar system however, it would be more difficult to install for a novice like myself and adds weight. If you have the tools and lift to install and properly torque it...than it will be provide even more strength to the front end.

Then you can start examining the rear to reduce some of the sideways walk i get when i really step on the gas.

Just be careful not to overdue it... I still worry about chassis flex and twisting it through an extreme lateral movement.

Let us know how you do!

CVCashmere
Sponsored