Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
an auto transmission problem....Whaaaaaat?

Am I reading this right?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's called gear lash. There is no way to get rid of it. Gears need back lash to work properly or they will interfere with each other. This lash is taken up when shifting and on and off throttle.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium guard saddle 20 inch rims
We're talking about automatics,there's no gear lash in a auto.If it's normal why is Ford replacing the flanges?

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Well guys i have an update with my car,

After my car being at the dealership for almost 2 weeks straight with no answers in sight and the dealership trying their hardest working with the ford Hotline and getting no where. Ford decided to send over an engineer to inspect my Vehicle this upcoming Tuesday.

Based on the discussions that i have had with the service manager, they have replaced drive shaft and no fix. They have inspected the transmission and everything looks fine.

In other good news i am currently working with an Attorney to get my car purchased back under CA Lemon law. Hopefully soon my ordeal will be over.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
We're talking about automatics,there's no gear lash in a auto.If it's normal why is Ford replacing the flanges?
There is no gear lash in the automatic? There always gonna be gear lash. If there are gears, they have some lash. Try rock the car back and forth when in P or in gear with engine off, you will be amazed how much you can move the car even though the transmission locked.
Either way, the lash is in the rear diff actually. The clunk you are hearing is gear lash being taken up when switching between R and D.
Why Ford is replacing? Because they don't know what's making the sound. It's your rear diff.
The sound is likely gonna come back regardless. What they can do is to rewrite the transmission program for a softer engagement between R and D and smoother on and off throttle response when the transmission is in 1st gear but the car is slowly moving.

Sponsored

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello Jasonstang,

My good friend who owns a mustang restoration shop did the same procedure you just stated about rocking the car back and forth while in park to hear if there is any noise and also to check if there is a problem with the drive train. And guess what, we can located the noise exactly. The noise is coming from the transmission tail shaft. Loud clunking noise. Now mind you i am making the noise appear because i am locking the transmission my self by pushing the car all the way forward. But that is the noise that i am hearing. Something is binding with my drive train.

Secondly, the first attempt to repair my problem based on what the FORD hotline recommended was to update my transmission bios with the latest software. And it didn't do anything to fix it, Noise came back after a day.

The problem could possibly be in the differential like u might say but and this point to make my lemon law case more valid i have to wait till the FORD ENGINEER inspects my vehicle on Tuesday.

When i picked up my vehicle on the previous repair attempt the service manager told me that the FORD hotline said my car is fine, the noise is normal and that I am provoking the car to make the noise. My rebuttal to that argument that day and there was can you bring out another car just like my and make that one do the noise that mine is making; Till this day they cannot replicate the noise on another vehicle, just mine.

Thanks for the reply Jasonstang

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
There is no gear lash in the automatic? There always gonna be gear lash. If there are gears, they have some lash. Try rock the car back and forth when in P or in gear with engine off, you will be amazed how much you can move the car even though the transmission locked.
Either way, the lash is in the rear diff actually. The clunk you are hearing is gear lash being taken up when switching between R and D.
Why Ford is replacing? Because they don't know what's making the sound. It's your rear diff.
The sound is likely gonna come back regardless. What they can do is to rewrite the transmission program for a softer engagement between R and D and smoother on and off throttle response when the transmission is in 1st gear but the car is slowly moving.
First of all, I never had a clunk, I took it to the dealerfor a metal clank noise that occurred when going into drive, reverse, and park.As I said before, they replaced the output flange and it fixed the problem.

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello Cobrachris,

I have mentioned that to the service tech and manager about your post i even printed it out. The stated that FORD Hotline said to swap out a complete drive line and components from a new in stock 2015 and install it on my car. They did that and no positive results.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This is the clank you are hearing. Not exactly a Mustang but basically same thing.
[ame]

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
I'll put this here again. Clank.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I'll put this here again. Clank.

Oh that actually sounds like the flange is not fastened down properly moving.

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
Oh that actually sounds like the flange is not fastened down properly moving.
Mine was fixed by replacing the output flange. They replaced the driveshaft and made some adjustments in the diff first, but that did not fix it.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hello Cobrachris,

I have mentioned that to the service tech and manager about your post i even printed it out. The stated that FORD Hotline said to swap out a complete drive line and components from a new in stock 2015 and install it on my car. They did that and no positive results.
Jlfierros, sorry you're having a rough time on this.Is it clunk noise or the clank noise?How about trying another dealer?

lightnin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT
Sub'd.

Mine is doing this 2015 Base GT Auto. Clank!!
Sponsored