Sponsored

Are you sure the CDC Outlaws spoiler fits a convertible?

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible
I picked one and it looks ill fitting at best.

Anyone have any good close ups of fitment?

PXL_20230505_012940304.jpg

PXL_20230505_012953943.jpg
Sponsored

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
I’ll be interested in what you find out… I did the research and saw some pics where people had it on a vert and after I ordered it and had it painted, It didn’t fit… luckily I was able to return it, but still out the cost to have it painted.

OP
OP

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever find one to go with?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That sucks. CDC marketing even uses a vert as their lead pic. I'm assuming the problem is it doesn't rest flush the full width of the trunk lid?

I'm pretty sure the trunk lid is the same for every year S550 vert so problem isn't that.

I have a CDC Outlaw spoiler on my coupe and now that I think of it, since a lot of spoilers only fit one or the other, that implies any spoiler that isn't fairly flexible will only fit one just right. My CDC Outlaw spoiler couldn't be much stiffer.

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
That sucks. CDC marketing even uses a vert as their lead pic. I'm assuming the problem is it doesn't rest flush the full width of the trunk lid?

I'm pretty sure the trunk lid is the same for every year S550 vert so problem isn't that.

I have a CDC Outlaw spoiler on my coupe and now that I think of it, since a lot of spoilers only fit one or the other, that implies any spoiler that isn't fairly flexible will only fit one just right. My CDC Outlaw spoiler couldn't be much stiffer.
In my case it was just a terrible fit all around… it didnt sit flush on the top of the trunk and it didn’t sit flush back of the trunk. It would have required way to much flex and pressure to get it to work that I just wasn’t comfortable forcing it.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In my case it was just a terrible fit all around… it didnt sit flush on the top of the trunk and it didn’t sit flush back of the trunk. It would have required way to much flex and pressure to get it to work that I just wasn’t comfortable forcing it.
Ouch.

If you really like the design (I love it), I think Shelby has a similar spoiler. Maybe they have better QC and one for a vert.

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
Ouch.

If you really like the design (I love it), I think Shelby has a similar spoiler. Maybe they have better QC and one for a vert.
I looked at that too… my only concern is that it only installs with adhesive, no bolts.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The convertible trunk is the same as any other GT, V6, EB, GT350, GT500 etc. So if it doesn't sit flush, it's a bad quality part not that it doesn't fit convertibles.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The convertible trunk is the same as any other GT, V6, EB, GT350, GT500 etc. So if it doesn't sit flush, it's a bad quality part not that it doesn't fit convertibles.
Of course they are different parts but the important thing is the area that spoilers typically mount to. The contour are close but not identical and even the slope of the mounting points is different. You'll see multiple posts/threads where people put a 2018+ PP coupe spoiler on a vert and the top surface was almost horizontal. Another common one was people with Califormai Special verts wanted the spoiler off the coupe. The assumption was the only reason Ford didn't use it was it would hit the vert ariel, which it would have. BUT it too ended up with a bad slope and even the pedestals did not want to sit level on the trunk lid.

The coupe and vert trunk lids are close enough for some spoilers with enough flex to work on either, maybe if the manufacturer designed them for an imaginary in between contour.

But the trunk rear contours are different between coupe and verts.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Doolin64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I think I may re-sell my CDC one and go with the Steeda one. I believe that's a Air Design spoiler. They are cheaper from Air Design or BMC, but they have a long wait. Steed has them in stock.

Sponsored

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
Did you ever find one to go with?
No… I put the blade back on… I did see where someone was able to fit a FP GT500 spoiler on their vert, so I’ve been toying with that, but the blade is growing on me so I’m not sure I want to go through another ordeal :)

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible
Doolin, I'm late a bit as I had lost my pics. On my side the fit is perfect and I'm very happy. It sits way closer and there is no gap. I might be able to take pics this week end if you want more

DSC00324.JPG

DSC00325.JPG

Sixtus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sixto
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2016 GT Convertible, 2015 Ecoboost PP
In my opinion, I like the look overall. Needed to sand a few areas to help it fit better before painting. Did you get yours pre-painted? It may not have been sanded down enough…The corners are supposed to be somewhat above the top of the body, so it is not flush with the sides, The adhesive is the weakest point, I noticed on hot days it would lose adhesion and create a gap between the decklid and spoiler even with the bolts provided. The material also seems porous and difficult to paint. Once again, it is worth it if you feel the look is the best, but if you have a close second option, it might be cheaper in the long run.
7936F9B4-B5FF-42CD-AD3C-D1DCBC9EC4ED.jpeg
0E3F7617-457A-47B0-A98E-A083A3DC7662.jpeg
15CEAC6A-132A-4247-A276-7F05F878D4EB.jpeg
1F0B84D8-D50C-42F5-BC3B-4D82D8A9CF22.jpeg

I apologize for the enormous antenna, was before I got the stubby one lol

3B28CC81-4A1D-4D11-8BC8-9E664901CC87.jpeg

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I had completely forgot that the original design is intended for verts. As a coupe owner, I remember thinking I'll have to put up with the not very aesthetic carve out for the vert CHMSL.

Unless Ford changed the vert trunk lids in '18 or some other time, any misfitting pretty much has to be a manufacturing defect of the spoiler. Maybe cheap clones passed off as CDC products? Did bad fitting ones come directly from CDC or some retailer?

Sixtus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sixto
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2016 GT Convertible, 2015 Ecoboost PP
I think it’s more just their quality control unfortunately, and the need to make some minor modifications for it to be flush before painting
Sponsored