Are you on the fence and if so why?

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
I am on the fence, but not for any of the reasons discussed so far.
At the moment it seems like a coin flip.

For me it is going to be either a new GT or a used 2009 or 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Price range on either possibility is 35-40K, just because that is my budget.

Performance would go to the Cadillac because it has the 550 HP supercharged Vette engine rather than about 420 HP on the Mustang, even if the Mustang has the Performance Package and weighs a bit less.

A used Cadillac would have 45-50 thousand miles on it and I might have good records for warranty work but will have no idea of exactly how hard the car was driven.
With a new Mustang I would have control over how the car is treated right from the start. No question about it, if I go the V route, it will have to have the GM extended warranty.

Going with a new Mustang would give me control over color and transmission choice and options while the Cadillac is "Here is a used car, take it or leave it".

The Cadillac would most likely be a 4 door sedan configuration with an automatic because that is most of the cars I have found on the internet for sale within my price and mileage restraints. Much more user friendly than the 2 door Mustang with it's midget back seats. Also, probably the sleeper of the century, which is one thing I love about it.

Ride and comfort on the Cadillac is probably going to be way better than on the Mustang but will have to wait for an actual test drive for confirmation. Even if the Mustang is nice, I already know that the Cadillac is down right plush and quiet and nice.

Not sure about insurance cost but that might throw up a red flag if one is a lot more than the other.

Fuel mileage will definitely go to the Mustang cause that extra 150 HP sucks a lot of extra fuel, both in town and on the highway.

Anything I have failed to take in to account?
Sponsored

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT

Performance would go to the Cadillac because it has the 550 HP supercharged Vette engine rather than about 420 HP on the Mustang, even if the Mustang has the Performance Package and weighs a bit less.

A used Cadillac would have 45-50 thousand miles on it and I might have good records for warranty work but will have no idea of exactly how hard the car was driven.
With a new Mustang I would have control over how the car is treated right from the start. No question about it, if I go the V route, it will have to have the GM extended warranty.

Going with a new Mustang would give me control over color and transmission choice and options while the Cadillac is "Here is a used car, take it or leave it".

The Cadillac would most likely be a 4 door sedan configuration with an automatic because that is most of the cars I have found on the internet for sale within my price and mileage restraints. Much more user friendly than the 2 door Mustang with it's midget back seats. Also, probably the sleeper of the century, which is one thing I love about it.

Ride and comfort on the Cadillac is probably going to be way better than on the Mustang but will have to wait for an actual test drive for confirmation. Even if the Mustang is nice, I already know that the Cadillac is down right plush and quiet and nice.

Not sure about insurance cost but that might throw up a red flag if one is a lot more than the other.

Fuel mileage will definitely go to the Mustang cause that extra 150 HP sucks a lot of extra fuel, both in town and on the highway.

Depreciation? The Caddy probably lost a lot already.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible

Yeah, depending on your age, the "WOW" factor! If your cruising the streets of The Villages in Central Florida attempting to pick up an old Woman, the used Cadillac will work fine. If your attempting to attract Women that don`t have (blue) tint in their White Hair, I`d suggest going with a new Mustang Convertible and throw a Golden Retriever in the back seat for good measure.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I don't think the performance gap will be as dramatic as one might think. The caddy is not just "a bit" heavier, it's MUCH heavier than the Mustang... like around 500+lbs heavier. The Caddy E/Ts in the low 12s at around 116-118mph. I don't think the GT will be that fast stock (on street tires), but a couple choice mods will get it there without too much effort I think. Of course, some mods to the Caddy will also make it significantly faster as well.

But in the end, they are just very different cars, and it's hard to compare them at all. You have to decide what kind of driving experience you're looking for, and how much room you need.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Considering I am in my 50's and have been happily married for 20 years, picking up "Babes" is not even on my list.
Already have a great dog, a cocker spaniel that loves to ride shotgun any time I am willing to bring her along.
A convertible is also not on my list.
Been there, done that.
Had a 72 Chevelle SS 454 convertible when I was in my early 20's.
Had somebody cut a hole in the top to steal whatever was sitting on the seat at the time and it cost me a lot of money to have the top replaced.

Your point of view does remind me of the difference between what was important to me in my 20's and what is important to me in my 50's.
Thanks for the perspective.

Yeah, depending on your age, the "WOW" factor! If your cruising the streets of The Villages in Central Florida attempting to pick up an old Woman, the used Cadillac will work fine. If your attempting to attract Women that don`t have (blue) tint in their White Hair, I`d suggest going with a new Mustang Convertible and throw a Golden Retriever in the back seat for good measure.

Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
I don't think the performance gap will be as dramatic as one might think. The caddy is not just "a bit" heavier, it's MUCH heavier than the Mustang... like around 500+lbs heavier. The Caddy E/Ts in the low 12s at around 116-118mph. I don't think the GT will be that fast stock (on street tires), but a couple choice mods will get it there without too much effort I think. Of course, some mods to the Caddy will also make it significantly faster as well.

But in the end, they are just very different cars, and it's hard to compare them at all. You have to decide what kind of driving experience you're looking for, and how much room you need.
My boss has several Mustangs. The newest is a 2013 GT Automatic Convertible that he had the rear end gears switched out for 390's. His best friend has a 2012 V 6 speed sedan that is totally stock. They like to play around a bit. They lined them up last summer on a stretch of road outside the business his friend owns and did several runs. From a dead stop, slow roll, it didn't matter. The V ran off and left the Mustang every time. It is even worse on the highway. I rode along with my boss one time when they did a rolling race from about 60 mph. The Cadillac absolutely ran off and left the Mustang.

I have ridden in the Cadillac a couple of times and have been really impressed with the quality of the interior as compared to the Mustang.
Ford claims that the new Mustang is substantially better with respect to the interior but I am doubtful if they can bring it up to the quality of a car that originally cost 65K new.

Like I mentioned, I will wait and do a test drive on a Mustang before deciding.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Considering I am in my 50's and have been happily married for 20 years, picking up "Babes" is not even on my list.
Already have a great dog, a cocker spaniel that loves to ride shotgun any time I am willing to bring her along.
A convertible is also not on my list.
Been there, done that.
Had a 72 Chevelle SS 454 convertible when I was in my early 20's.
Had somebody cut a hole in the top to steal whatever was sitting on the seat at the time and it cost me a lot of money to have the top replaced.

Your point of view does remind me of the difference between what was important to me in my 20's and what is important to me in my 50's.
Thanks for the perspective.
Attitude more so then age or martial status come to mind. I`m lucky "69" widowed for 20 years and now (re-partnered) but still desire the sportiness and excitement of a Mustang Convertible. For me, Mustang and Convertible is one and the same. Even if I never put the top down, nothing says Mustang like a Race Red Convertible, IMO. Practical, a Mustang Convertible is (not). A Cadillac 4 Door Sedan with automatic Climate Control is like sitting on a Natucci Leather Sofa with a steering wheel attached. Hard to make a fair comparison of these two very different Vehicles.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My boss has several Mustangs. The newest is a 2013 GT Automatic Convertible that he had the rear end gears switched out for 390's. His best friend has a 2012 V 6 speed sedan that is totally stock. They like to play around a bit. They lined them up last summer on a stretch of road outside the business his friend owns and did several runs. From a dead stop, slow roll, it didn't matter. The V ran off and left the Mustang every time. It is even worse on the highway. I rode along with my boss one time when they did a rolling race from about 60 mph. The Cadillac absolutely ran off and left the Mustang.

I have ridden in the Cadillac a couple of times and have been really impressed with the quality of the interior as compared to the Mustang.
Ford claims that the new Mustang is substantially better with respect to the interior but I am doubtful if they can bring it up to the quality of a car that originally cost 65K new.

Like I mentioned, I will wait and do a test drive on a Mustang before deciding.
We might not agree with our personal preference of Vehicles but since you are from Tulsa, I will agree that my Hasty Bake Charcoal Oven is the best BBQ Device in the entire World! Have had one for 3 decades and nothing cooks better BBQ!

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
What you need sir is a new Corvette. It combines the best aspects of both cars you are considering.

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What you need sir is a new Corvette. It combines the best aspects of both cars you are considering.
I purchased new a 1967 Corvette in the Fall of 1966, the last of the Stingray Convertibles. MSRP of $5050 with 2 Tops! For me, that was the "best" and last of the great Corvette`s!

Sponsored

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
If you check out the performance of both, a comparison is easy.
The performance of either is just amazing.
12's stock or 11's with just a few tweaks.
Top speed well over 160 and still have air conditioning that works.

Hemi's and 6 packs and LS6 engines from the 60's and early 70's have nothing on the performance engines that the big 3 are putting out these days.

It is a great time to be alive to enjoy the fun.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Nope.

Gotta have a back seat, even if it is a tiny one.
My wife has made that rule and is sticking by it.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
Reasons I am on the fence:
1) Fords quality has been shit lately. Every new product they come out with is recalled
2) I don't really want a premium, but the base stereo is grossly hideous and a premium auto with recaros will be over 40k.
3) The marketing campaign and communication to enthusiasts has been mediocre at best considering all the hype. What is the power damnit........
4) Color - I love Ruby and DIB, but Ingot just looks so good and pops in all the pictures. I never thought I would own a silver car, and I question if it looks just as good in person.
i'm curious about #1. The 'every new product they come out with is recalled' statement doesn't really line up with 'quality has been shit' statement.

I really don't know any car that doesn't have some recall in it's lifetime. I'd rather get a recall notice than have a mfg. try to hide the issue to keep from having to spend the money.

Cars these days are complex machines that are incredibly difficult to test for durability prior to release.

I'd say something could be shit without ever being recalled, just like something that is recalled may or may not be shit. For example, my 2005 6.0. But I've forgiven them.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
A 'vert is not a great match up, but there is no doubt the V is faster than any 2013 GT stock for stock. But we have no idea yet how much power the 2015 GT makes, or how its acceleration numbers compare to the outgoing model. Just knowing what we know about the new motor however, I suspect a couple mods and a tune will close the gap on that V in a big way.

Anyway, I digress. This isn't the "Versus" section of the forum.

Bottom line is, like you said, you'll just need to drive them both and see which fits your tastes better.

Dirdle65

Threads
Reaction score
I'm on the fence too. It's killing me waiting for the final product and numbers. I will admit when I saw the mustang (two of them) at the Las Vegas 50th I was unsure. I loved everything but the rear quarter panels. They just seemed BIG to me. Almost out of place. Of course the one that looked the worst was a silver one with black wheels - fugly at best. The 50th Anniversary in dark blue seemed to hide it better but of course was on a pedestal so the angle was totally different. The interior of that one was drop dead gorgeous in that tannish leather. But I can't afford that.

Here's what has me on the fence:

1) The base radio looks like cr@p period and the screen is tiny - especially compared to the Honda Accords I'm looking at
2) Rear wheel drive - I know how to drive in snow but rear wheel vs front wheel is 100 different. Front wheel is easy.
3) No dual climate control in the lower priced model - standard in the Honda (and others)
4) Interior color - black only...not my choice of colors as it gets hot here and it's just so bland. Lacks pizazz
5) Gas mileage - an unknown figure still but it's probably not going to be that much better than 2014 (for the base V6 at least)
6) The Mustang is such a cool car - way more than a Honda, etc - this one is killing me!

It's such a hard decision but at least one I don't have to make now, or even in a few months, I will buying in about a year so I have time to think, test drive, and read all of the interesting stories here first.
Sponsored