Sponsored

Are there different 2.3 Ecoboost engines?

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
Long story short, I blew up the engine in my ecoboost (Bent rod and cracked block). So Im looking to replace the engine from a donner 2.3 ecoboost. My question is there a difference in the 2.3 ecoboost? From what Ive read, theres a difference in the block on the focus RS vs the EB mustangs.

From the bit of research ive done the 2.3 EB is in
EB Mustand
Focus RS
Explorer
Ranger
Lincoln MKC
Lincoln Corsair

from what I can see in pictures the transverse mounted 2.3 has a different intake manifold and oil pan but is there any difference in internals between them?
I've called local ford dealers and they have no clue (not surprisingly)
Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
the ranger and explorer engines have a higher compression at 10:1 instead of the 9.5:1 in the mustang

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I don't have any facts... Just some second hand information from an unknown source. I was told the 2.3 motor in the Focus RS is a 2.0 stroked...?? Sorry, I haven't had time to research this information...

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any facts... Just some second hand information from an unknown source. I was told the 2.3 motor in the Focus RS is a 2.0 stroked...?? Sorry, I haven't had time to research this information...
I know that the built 2.3 short block offered from Tune+, MAPerformance and Mountune (I think) all offer beefed up 2.3 internals in a 2.0 EB block because the bore is the same between the 2.3 and 2.0 blocks. From my understanding the Focus RS is a slightly modified version of the mustang 2.3 block but I dont know for a fact.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
All EB 2.3 blocks have the same open deck design thus potential weakness (RS for the most part and i read the new HP mustang had/have a stronger casting alloy for the block making them less likely to boom than the American casted 2.3 mustang EB block)for the dreaded ecoboom which sounds like what happen to you. Many wanting more power will go for a 2.0 block and swap internals stroking it to a 2.3l they have the same mounts and deck height. There are a few other things required to make the swap but minimal and you will have a much stronger block since its semi closed deck..

Another option is to fabricate and weld on a back support that helps sure up that weak spot. 2.0 block is still best way to go and im heading that way myself.

Were you running a tune and mods? What year is your eco?

Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I also own a 2014 2.0 Fusion, and am very happy with the performance. I did a quick online search and found several $500 motors for it, vs $2500 for a 2.3 motor for my 2018 Mustang!

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I also own a 2014 2.0 Fusion, and am very happy with the performance. I did a quick online search and found several $500 motors for it, vs $2500 for a 2.3 motor for my 2018 Mustang!
Note: The 2.0 motor in my 2014 Fusion (Mazda L, just like the 2015 to present 2.3 Mustang) was available from 2010 to 2014...

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
All EB 2.3 blocks have the same open deck design thus potential weakness (RS for the most part and i read the new HP mustang had/have a stronger casting alloy for the block making them less likely to boom than the American casted 2.3 mustang EB block)for the dreaded ecoboom which sounds like what happen to you. Many wanting more power will go for a 2.0 block and swap internals stroking it to a 2.3l they have the same mounts and deck height. There are a few other things required to make the swap but minimal and you will have a much stronger block since its semi closed deck..

Another option is to fabricate and weld on a back support that helps sure up that weak spot. 2.0 block is still best way to go and im heading that way myself.

Were you running a tune and mods? What year is your eco?
At the time of the “eco boom” my 2016 ecoboost premium was running
Roush CAI
Turbosmart recirculating BOV
Turbosmart wastegate (10lbs spring)
Mishimoto stock location intercooler
3” rev9 catless downpipe
Mpbr 3” catback
Unleashed tuning 91 tune (we only have 91 in NM)

the crack in the block (while in cylinder 3) was not a crack from the cylinder wall to the outside of the block, it appears as if predetonated on the downstroke, causing the rod to bend and the piston to go below the cylinder wall so when it came back up it chipped off a solid 1.5” chunk off the bottom of the Calder wall

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not for sure about why but from my previous deep research i have noticed the ecoboom was more prevalent on the 2015/16 block mustangs. Are you a manual or automatic? I have also read many people boom lugging in a mt82 in to high of a gear

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
I did see that as well and definitely considering building a 2.0 block with 2.3 internals given that it’s not too complicated.
Funny how much cheaper you can find a 2.0 rather than a 2.3

Sponsored

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
How did the failure occur? low rpms? normal driving high speed driving? right after filling up?

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
How did the failure occur? low rpms? normal driving high speed driving? right after filling up?
i passed someone on my drive home. I was going 30 and got up to 60 3rd gear if I’m not mistaken. I don’t believe I went higher than 3500-4000rpm.

Im not for sure about why but from my previous deep research i have noticed the ecoboom was more prevalent on the 2015/16 block mustangs. Are you a manual or automatic? I have also read many people boom lugging in a mt82 in to high of a gear
it is a 2016 auto
I did describe how it happened above. I did fill up maybe 30/45 minutes prior but I know I filled up with 91 like I always do

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you monitoring your OAR, KNOCK and timing correction?

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Were you monitoring your OAR, KNOCK and timing correction?
I was not.I hadn’t had issues with the car before this so I wasn’t datalogging at the time it happened

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OAR is something i monitor regularly as it helps ensure the fuel quality is up to par. It could have been a bad fill up. Happens. I seen my oar drop drastically using 93 from a kangaroo a couple of times so i avoid them.

Another thought is unless you already upgraded it is your low pressure fuel sensor may have went or was malfunctioning. The older models were known for that sensor problem.

Either way since you are at this point of needing another motor if you plan on keeping the car i would do the 2.0 swap. You can stroke it to a 2.3l or run it as a tuned 2.0. Either way you'll be much better off in the long run.
Sponsored

Last edited: