Sponsored

Are there any weight sensors for the airbag in the driver's seat?

afristang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Recently, I posted a thread about my airbag light mysteriously being on.

Well, today, I learned that if I raise my butt and drop on my seat, the airbag light goes off.

So the question is, are there any weight sensors in the driver's seat for the airbag? I know the passenger seat has sensor that only activates the airbag if the passenger is over 110lbs.

Maybe the sensor needs recalibration or I should get a new one? Where do I start?
Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

Well, today, I learned that if I raise my butt and drop on my seat, the airbag light goes off.

So the question is, are there any weight sensors in the driver's seat for the airbag? I know the passenger seat has sensor that only activates the airbag if the passenger is over 110lbs.

Maybe the sensor needs recalibration or I should get a new one? Where do I start?
Nope, no seat occupancy sensor
Your issue must be related to the harness under the seat.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Run Forscan and look up what code exactly is this generating - it will tell you which part of SRS system is triggering the light.

(and like luc above said - no driver's occupancy sensor)

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There's at least 1 airbag connector under the seat; that must be your issue. And the passenger seat occupant should be triggered with around 60 lbs, not 110, as an FYI.

OP
OP

afristang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey!

I ran a diagnostics tool and found out that the driver's seat pretensioner has a circuit open. Does anyone know more detail about this?

I'm assuming some wire must have gone bad since just a day ago the light used to go out when I dropped hard enough on the seat.

I'm looking for new pretensioners online while waiting to take the car to an automotive electrician tomorrow. Are all Ford pretensioners standardized? I can't find any for the Mustang and I can't really send mine for repair (I live in Africa)

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hey!

I ran a diagnostics tool and found out that the driver's seat pretensioner has a circuit open. Does anyone know more detail about this?

I'm assuming some wire must have gone bad since just a day ago the light used to go out when I dropped hard enough on the seat.

I'm looking for new pretensioners online while waiting to take the car to an automotive electrician tomorrow. Are all Ford pretensioners standardized? I can't find any for the Mustang and I can't really send mine for repair (I live in Africa)
First thing to check for circuit open is the plug for it - if it exists.

I've had circuit open for drivers knee airbag, wiggled the plug reaching it behind the dash (didn't even disassemble anything) - boom - airbag light gone.

I think pretensioner sits behind the panel next to door where drivers seat belt is anchored - I've been there couple of times installing Schroth quickfit harness but I don't remember how wiring looked. Not a lot of disassembly though.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
PM me your email - I'll send you manual page on how to get to pretensioner connectors - if you want to try it (I would).

OP
OP

afristang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey,

Thanks to @kz I did manage to find the problem. Turns out, the connector somehow popped off. It was a really easy fix, but it did take some time to find it. The connector is on the door sill around a foot away from the retractor and I did not have to remove the retractor, although I did.

I don't know how often this happens, but if anyone encounters error B007E 13 in their Mustang, feel free to PM me.

One other note, the retractor did not have any plugs in it in my car. I think that it is meant to be plugged in but I found that it's not and I'll investigate it later. I couldn't find the wire that connects to it. It's not throwing any codes so far.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Glad you fixed it. Note that part of the pages I've sent you refer to convertible, part to coupe. I don't have them handy right now but that's why the retractor may not have been plugged in.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Glad you fixed it. May I ask which parts you had to remove to get to the connector? Thx.

OP
OP

afristang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you fixed it. May I ask which parts you had to remove to get to the connector? Thx.
All I had to remove was the side panel right behind the driver's seat. The one that extends from the floor to the roof, not sure what it's called (loadspace trim I think Ford calls it). The connector is a yellow connector on the bottom.

9b7ww0T.png

This is the trim panel, just gently pull the weather stripping off it and pull on it to unclip it.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
To remove that ^^^^ panel you have to remove the short panel along the seat / door sill on the bottom first though (it's very easy to remove)
Sponsored