Sponsored

Anyone want to see a BW top mount twin kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
i know this is really dumb to most people and im sure no one cares, but is there a way to Do a TT setup, But have a horizontal bar and not vertical? i know there is a reason you guys do it that way, i am honestly just wondering what the advantages are, and why the other would be a horrible idea.
Are you talking about the intercooler flow ? If so, people use vertical flow intercoolers because you can fit more flow passages in the same space, which leads to less restriction. Less restrictions means the turbos dont have to work as hard, which means they produce less heat, which means you make more power.

If interested in learning why turbo systems and intercoolers are made the way they are, Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost" is a bible of knowledge
https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606
Sponsored

Billyocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red PP GT
Are you talking about the intercooler flow ? If so, people use vertical flow intercoolers because you can fit more flow passages in the same space, which leads to less restriction. Less restrictions means the turbos dont have to work as hard, which means they produce less heat, which means you make more power.

If interested in learning why turbo systems and intercoolers are made the way they are, Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost" is a bible of knowledge
https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-Turbocharger-Engineering-Performance/dp/0837601606
i appreciate the response, i understand that its more efficient, my real question that i worded horribly is more so, is it possible to get a horizontal bar and fin intercooler, i am by no means building a race car. I just was wondering if the advantages or disadvantages are significant. my main issue with that is to me its not ascetically pleasing, which brings me back to the original comment of "no one cares", Its proven and works as is, so why mess with perfection?!

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
i appreciate the response, i understand that its more efficient, my real question that i worded horribly is more so, is it possible to get a horizontal bar and fin intercooler, i am by no means building a race car. I just was wondering if the advantages or disadvantages are significant. my main issue with that is to me its not ascetically pleasing, which brings me back to the original comment of "no one cares", Its proven and works as is, so why mess with perfection?!
Sure it's possible. As far as the efficiency difference, in the grand scheme of things it is probably minimal but would be measurable. In a world with people comparing dyno numbers to +/-10hp differences and track times in the 1/10th of second though it would make the difference between something "that works" vs something that makes people go WOW.... and also a matter of "doing it right" for people that make a living off selling "top quality" kits.

If it would make you happy you could make it work and not kill the system as a whole.
http://www.frozenboost.com/front-mo....html?osCsid=55f6f5f2dd5699b584789d68a94c4af5

Billyocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red PP GT
Sure it's possible. As far as the efficiency difference, in the grand scheme of things it is probably minimal but would be measurable. In a world with people comparing dyno numbers to +/-10hp differences and track times in the 1/10th of second though it would make the difference between something "that works" vs something that makes people go WOW.... and also a matter of "doing it right" for people that make a living off selling "top quality" kits.

If it would make you happy you could make it work and not kill the system as a whole.
http://www.frozenboost.com/front-mo....html?osCsid=55f6f5f2dd5699b584789d68a94c4af5
You are 100 percent correct, I never thought about it that way. And everyone knows boostworks only releases the best!

Sponsored

iSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels
Air to water intercooled intake manifold drawn up in solidworks and parts are being machined for it now!

We'll be welding a few up next week. :)
Holy effing shiiiiiiit, that's going to look buuuurtiful! I'm no turbo genius, but what are the differences with air to air and air to water intercooling?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Holy effing shiiiiiiit, that's going to look buuuurtiful! I'm no turbo genius, but what are the differences with air to air and air to water intercooling?
Air to water will have ice water flowing threw it so IAT2 temps will be lower than with air to air.

OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Better overall thermal stability and control. We're mounting a 4-5 gallon tank in the front of the car (in the bumper area) along with a massive heat exchanger with a pump flowing around 12 gallons per minute. You will NEVER have intake air temp issues, and with ice, it'll get below ambient. ;)

iSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels
Better overall thermal stability and control. We're mounting a 4-5 gallon tank in the front of the car (in the bumper area) along with a massive heat exchanger with a pump flowing around 12 gallons per minute. You will NEVER have intake air temp issues, and with ice, it'll get below ambient. ;)
This is exciting! Can't wait

Sponsored
OP
OP

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Travis please tell us why a twin top mount kit will fit the s550 but a single kit will not?
Biggest reason is that a single requires a 3.5" to 4" down pipe. Fitting this without going under the sub-frame is very tough to do in a production based kit. It's not to say that it can't be done, just difficult. Also, a large single is the same price as a pair of smaller twins. So, there's really no price advantage of going single.

Top mount twins can go 2.5" or 2.75" down pipe with no problem. Both pipes will easily support 1300-1500whp.

I just refuse to go under the sub-frame. It's a disaster waiting to happen. That being said, a race type single kit can be done, no issue. Down pipe bumper exit, or just down to the ground.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Let's just say that we're going to offer something unique that no one has done yet. And we're going to keep it close to the same price as our current full manifold kits.

Imagine a top mount kit with an air to water sheet metal intake manifold, and front grill mounted inlet pipes/filters. No lag, 5 different turbo brand options.. tons of options and upgrades. All under a stock hood.

That's what's coming this fall. :)
Hey man sign me up .
My car with the Hellion kit now would be the perfect test car .
Already have BNIB precision ball bearing turbos(gen 2 62's) I was going to use to upgrade the 55 journals on the car now if I can ever get it running again :headbonk:

bklynpanman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
Interested in seeing the design. Considering you used to hate top mounts due to the extreme heat under the hood.

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
Sub'd I'm pretty interested in this...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.