Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
OK just got back from a test drive of a new 2020 PP2.

Seats: The Recaros did not really feel that different from my base leather seats. I was never crazy about the base seats, it took a long time to find a comfortable driving position, but turns out they are actually a little more comfortable than the Recaros but still give good support. I always thought that if I got a new Mustang, Recaros would be a requirement - not any more. Could take them or leave them. They'd probably be a requirement if I tracked the car but I don't.

Active exhaust: I freaking love it. Would not get a new car without it. My favorite part of the test drive. Better tone than the stock mufflers regardless of what drive mode you're in (more burbly / less raspy). Only way I could understand anyone wanting to replace it with something aftermarket is if you're going for max volume but it was plenty loud even in normal mode.

Magneride / wheels & tires: This is what I was really interested in. Handling wise, it felt no different than my PP1 with GT350 wheels and sway bars. I'd say it might be worth the money if this was your daily driver because it did have a more comfortable ride on less than perfect roads - my car feels like the PP2 in track mode all the time. Some people want to pooh-pooh how much of a difference the extra offset makes with the GT350 wheels, but it was probably the single most noticeable mod I made over the stock PP1.

Drivetrain: I've always been a little concerned because my car makes clacking noises at parking lot speeds, sounds like it's coming from the transmission area. Happily, I heard the exact same sounds from the PP2 as I was driving it off the lot. The takeup point in the clutch was a lot narrower on the PP2 - felt more like a GT350. Could be just because it's newer, hard to tell. Not crazy about the rev matching feature on the PP2, it was a little annoying, maybe it can be disabled though.

Acceleration: Between the 4.09's and the Injen intake, my car pulls a lot harder. If the stock PP2 0-60 is 4.3, my car has to be a 4.0-ish. If I got a PP2, 4.09's would be a must. As I've said in other posts though, still would not go to 4.30's or 4.56's even if it was free.

So I guess the bottom line is, if I could have afforded a PP2 from the beginning, I'd have gotten one. If trading in my existing / modded PP1 on a PP2 was a break-even trade, meh, I guess if it was convenient I might do it but would be annoyed having to repeat the 4.09 install. With my car's current setup I may or may not lose to a stock PP2 at the track or autocross, and if I lost, it doesnt seem like it would be by much. Whatever advantage Magneride might have near the limit would be at least partially countered by my car being quicker. Can't see losing in the 1/4, or any other straight-line race.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yes sir Mikepol2, the rev match feature can be shutoff. One would Search in the track menu and deselect it.

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Wait & see what the Mach 1 package looks like.

I have always been underwhelmed by the PP2. It has the wrong tires to be a good street car, and doesn't have the cooling to be a good track car.
Put some good coilovers, camber plates, and sticky tires on your 2018 car (that already has ~PP2 size wheels) and you will be faster for a lot less money than trading up.
I also have to agree here...with the exception of not having Magnaride, I added camber plates, 11 x 19 wheels and Bridgestone RE 71 R tires to my PP1, and also a aftermarket rear diff cooler and have been quite satisfied with my occasional track day experiences as well as improving handling on the road. I think Ford may have added one too many shades of gray going from the PP1 up to GT 350...
Sponsored